Sony ES 500 Integrated Amplifier question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DeepFloyd11, Dec 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic Thread Starter

Question for the connoisseurs of Stereo hardware:
    Can I hook up a Sony ES 500 Integrated Amplifier to a Harman Kardon Citation 16 power amp and use it as a pre-amp and overrride it's own Sony power supply? How would I connect them?
    Thanks

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You cannot use an external power amp with that integrated amp.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  3. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Forum Resident

Contra F1nut's declaration, you may be able to use an integrated amp with an external power amp, because some integrated amps have a pre-out. Is this the TA-F500ES? I googled just ES 500 and didn't see anything. Looking at the service manual of the TA-F500ES (Sony TA-F500ES - Manual - Integrated Stereo Amplifier - HiFi Engine ), I'm guessing that the pre-out you're looking for is described as the "adaptor in-out" in the manual. But I'm not sure, since the terminology "adaptor" terminology is unfamiliar to me.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  4. DeepFloyd11

Thank you, we tried it but it doesn't work. Connecting it overrides all the controls (volume , tone control etc). What would be the problem then?

5. Stephen_Ri

Darn. You're sure it's the Adaptor in/out labeled "15" in the manual? What you describe is what I would expect from a tape/rec-out.

6. SmileyDude

SmileyDude Senior Member

Having owned the amp in the past, and having attempted this, I can say for certainty that it is not possible. The line out/adapter is meant for adding a graphic equalizer or pre-amp. That being said, it is possible with other integrated amps such as the Harman Kardon HK505 which I've also owned. It has a designated "pre-amp" output allowing it to be used as such.
    When trying to use the Sony ES500 as a pre-amp , you will find that you'll get sound without the ability to adjust volume, selector switches or tone controls, etc.

F1nut likes this.
  7. DeepFloyd11

No, connected to the adaptor in/out it overrides everything. There is sound (very loud) but nothing could be controlled.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The integrated does not have pre-outs and the adaptor jacks are for an equalizer.

9. Stephen_Ri

Unfortunately, it seems that your unit will not serve as a pre-amp for your power amp. Apologies to F1nut, I misread "that" as "an."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    F1nut likes this.
  10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

No worries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.