Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I use it for demos as well. If pressed, I’d say Parade is probably my favorite Prince album.

2. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I wonder what it would include? This one might be a little tough for "vault" tracks (much of the album recording took place during the Purple Rain era) and there's not much in terms of live stuff either. Excluding edits there is a very full disc of b-sides/remixes (and possibly "4 the Tears in Your Eyes"). With the edits it would spill over to two discs.

What could be on the DVD? The MTV interview could be included and hopefully there is more footage from the show the "America" video was filmed at...otherwise I am stumped.

I am thinking the main album, one disc of edits/b-sides/remixes, a third disc with the rest of the edits/b-sides/remixes and a few alternates/outtakes?

This one could be a bit skimpy.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  3. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i would buy it just for the UK 12" mix of Pop Life (never been on digital format) ;)

ps: original version of Old Friends 4 Sale !!~!

4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’d be fine with that, as long as it faithfully represented that era of his career. They all don’t have to be 10-LP sets!

5. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Isn't "Old Friends 4 Sale" a Parade outtake?

CBackley and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

Good point. Most of the outtakes from that time period belong to a Parade deluxe release, or a proper followup to Purple Rain Deluxe. It's a shame that they already put out "Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden" as they'd be appropriate here. Maybe they could include new mixes with upgraded audio quality, and the version of "The Dance Electric" with Wendy & Lisa's overdubs.

7. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i believe 1st mention of OF4Sale was in the Rolling Stone magazine interview in '85 when Around The World In A Day was released.
    i'm going by purely on (foggy) memory here so don't quote me on that but...i believe it is from 84/85...if true then, what else could be there ?!~ :shrug:

Matthew Tate and bataclan2002 like this.
  8. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Old Friends was on the first configuration of Parade from May 1, 1985. Including stripped down versions of some of those tracks would make a superb deluxe edition. Or versions of songs with strings (New Position). All My Dreams is from that too.

9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Do it ASAP. There is an absolutely bat****-crazy version of Computer Blue on the outtakes disc.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    tenor1, Matthew Tate, 905 and 2 others like this.
  10. I also love that special dance mix edit of LRCorvette! In fact it’s my most played track from what I’ve listened to so far. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has actually really enjoyed disc two. I feel a disc of extended mixes and 7” edits are essential as part of the Prince package.

11. There's ample opertunity for many upgrades to the PR era tracks on that release. I don't believe anything was sourced from the multis. Assuredly there were some 1/4" masters, but no multitracks.

12. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I like the extended (full) version of "Let's Go Crazy", but the edited version on the album is brilliant.
    If you could ever call cutting out part of a longer song "perfect", that's the song.
    In my head, the album version is the song and the longer version with the piano+ in the middle is the song with some cool, extra stuff.
    (Similarly, his edits on "Computer Blue" did not weaken the song's power at all.)

Willowman likes this.
  13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

If it's too skimpy, they should include a Prince version of The Family's album.

The singles compilation for that album would be two CDs easy. The extended versions alone add up to 72 minutes, so you'd need to go onto a second disc just to get the three 7" b-sides in there. (I think this is unique for a Prince album in that there are no edits on the A-sides - they're all album versions, though there is a unique video version of 'Raspberry Beret'.)

14. Speaking of bat**** crazy, good: "Something in the Water..." the original version is amazing, with the chords beneath the chorus that adds more texture...? Yes.

My 16-year old son heard this song from upstairs and he came down and proclaimed, "That's fire! " I played him the album version and he preferred the original take.

I'm calling a coin flip. :D

15. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Would Parade but up next for a deluxe edition? I'm thinking of making my own deluxe version of the album on CDR but can't really find a clear sounding version of the stripped down "Old Friends 4 Sale." I welcome any deluxe editions that are on the way. Hopefully all the Warner albums get this loving treatment.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Parade is easily the best Prince album sonically - incredibly nice sounding record, which confuses me given before that Prince had a relatively consistent sound.

However, I do think the percussion is seriously missing too. I'm not sure if it's the paired back arrangements made this intentional on the entire record.

17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

What’s different on the video version of Automatic?

Parade has long been my favorite Prince album. Will we ever see a deluxe edition? Isn’t WB running out of time to do anything with Prince’s non-soundtrack catalog? I feel like they wouldn’t spend a lot of time and focus on a Parade deluxe. I love the “Parade Demos” boot, and I’d love that material to get a wide release.

Is “Adonis and Bathsheba” a Parade outtake? I love that song.

I wish the Purple Rain Deluxe Edition had come out on vinyl. It seems so skimpy compared to the 1999 Super Deluxe.

sunspot42 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

is there a particular digital or vinyl version(s) you'd recommend?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

A reissue of The Family album, perhaps with an accompanying disc of Prince's demos, would be fantastic.

20. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Mine too!

ad180 and sunspot42 like this.
  21. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

1999, this set is FANTASTIC. I still have not received my copy so can not comment on the remaster. I have read all comments and the bass issue is bugging if it's been artificially boosted and not reflective of his intentions. I think the vault tracks border on good to superb. Like many fans, I had some but to hear them so clean is such a thrill. Do Youself A Favour, Reaarange, Moonbeam Levels and Bold Generation are as good as anything on the 1999 album. Other songs are really good but I can understand why he kept then if the album....but to vault them indefinitely is a testament to how amazing a talent he was and his on supreme.e confidence in his ability to create more.

The live album sounds so good...so full.

22. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

As for next- I think Around the World and Sign O The Times need a remaster most. They sound bad. Parade was actually good...but the avalanche of first rate material in the ault for the 1985/1987 period would require many discs!!

Matthew Tate, sunspot42 and CBackley like this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Same here, best sounding and my favorite. It's just so...Prince!

I think it's intentional. The EQ certainly allows for it, there's tons of low frequency energy in spots. It's just not there.

These things appear to be selling well, so my assumption is they'll continue compiling and releasing them.

The original WB CD. I haven't bothered with any remasters up until now because I can't imagine they'd sound any better. I think HDTracks was selling a high res version awhile back - circa 2012 - but I never bought it, which I kinda regret.

Matthew Tate and croquetlawns like this.
  24. Technically, Parade is the soundtrack to Under a Cherry Moon. Therefore, WB has plenty of time to do something with it. It's outside of the deal with Sony that kicks-in in 2021.

25. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I'd prefer Dirty Mind & Controversy to be next, since those will probably contain lots of songs I 'haven't heard. But realistically, I expect the next one will be SOTT. Would coincide well with Duane Tudahl's next book :)