Pluto TV: What Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ando here, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pluto TV is the best free streaming tv/movie app that I've encountered (yes, including Hulu!) and has an intriguing rotating On-Demand Movie library. Pluto really does mimic the cable TV experience, which (imo) is not always a great thing as the surplus of content can be overwhelming (and mind-numbing) - and there ARE commercials. The film library does it for me. But here's an overview of the app for anyone not familiar with it (easiest access: Google Play Apps).

So tell us what you've seen on it lately. Might save save someone with similar tastes some surfing time!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    NickySee, Shawn and kouzie like this.
  2. ando here

The last movie that I streamed On-Demand was Brando's One Eyed Jacks. Looked great. Trouble is, the search engine is non-existent so you'll have to sign in (register) to make or continue watching movies on a playlist. Otherwise you must scroll through the list of films to find the film you want. A new crop of flicks was just added and since I've been hankering to see Postcards From The Edge it's the first streamer I'm watching this month.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Gonna be completely honest here, and I know it’s definitely not for everyone, but my favorite PlutoTV channel is Slow TV.

I was fascinated with the concept when I first heard about it and hooked the first time I watched it.

While I may bounce around to the Doctor Who channel or MST3K for a bit, I always come back to Slow TV.

I love the joke someone made about the channel, “Slow TV... for people who find C-SPAN too intense.

primejive and ando here like this.
  4. ando here

:laugh: Wish they had C-Span, particularly Book Tv, but I've never encountered the Slow Tv channel. Will check it out!

JakeKlas likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I used to browse it a few years ago. My first thought was, "for people for whom '57 Channels And Nothing On', isn't enough..."

I have too much TV to keep up on, that I want to watch...

ando here likes this.
  6. ando here

I haven't had cable for years - and don't miss it. So the app is enough for folks like me. That channel number has quadrupled, btw; as well as the nothing on factor. Still, the On-Demand films make it. Postcards was fun to revisit. Whatever happened to Dennis Quaid?

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, he was in Seasons Two and Three of Fortitude for Sky TV a couple years ago, playing a drunk, burned-out hostage.

Bruce Racket and ando here like this.
  8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

rifftrax! and for a while the challenge channel, and on the rare occasion the fail channel....and yes...sometimes....the cats channel

Scowl, Shawn and ando here like this.
  9. ando here

Ah, I see he's starring in the Netflix Christmas flick, Merry Happy Whatever. I noticed (scrolled past) Christmas movies on Pluto but can't seem to find em now...

10. ando here

Gotta say, Plutotv has the most concise menu for national News channels for your mobile device. (Turns out, the movies selection is less than a mixed bag.) But I've sampled Hulutv, Youtubetv and a few others. The main upside is that it's free and easy to navigate. The downside - as with ALL the tvapps - are the commercials. But they pay the bills, so it's said.
    :angel:

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I find Pluto TV too random. Their channels seem to be uniquely programmed to Pluto and out of sync with all other systems.

As for the on-demand stuff, I feel like I get more out of Filmrise, let alone Prime Video.

MikaelaArsenault and ando here like this.
  12. ando here

Valid. Can't compare to other movie/tv content apps. But their News menu is the best, imo.

13. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Since my wife discovered Pluto TV, she's had the MST3000/Rifftrax channels on non-stop. Myself, I've been watching reruns of the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour.

14. I tried it for a bit after getting a FireTV stick, and quickly deleted the app.

I just can't tolerate commercials, and on top of that, it seemed like the commercial breaks were based on some sort of automation, rather than occurring at natural spots in the programming. I tried watching some Bond movies on the dedicated Bond channel and quickly decided that it was not for me.

Free is good, and I get that the commercials are why it is free, but it just did not work for me.

ando here likes this.
  15. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

continually scrolling through the Free movies - Roxanne with Steve Martin is always a classic for me and available on the On Demand section

16. ando here

CBSN NY is back up after the studio was shut down for cleaning after a couple of employees tested positive for Covid-19. Much as I like Boston (its temporary replacement) the New York affiliate is one of the best in this tri-state area. L.A. isn't bad, either. And SkyNews has haf some great in-the-trenches of the pandemic coverage.

And, wow, they've really improved their selection of On Demand Drama flicks. Loads of literary fare (my thing).
    :-popcorn:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  17. Classic Doctor Who, Rifftrax, MST 3000 and the James Bond channel. That right there is about as perfect as you can get.

18. ando here

Haha. Just saw that they've got Raging Bull. Criterion Channel had it at one point. And actually, I won't mind a commerical break or two. :magoo: :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  19. ando here

[​IMG]
    The Hours (2002, Stephen Daldry) On Demand

Forgotten how integral the Philip Glass score is to the movie. I guess it's one of the reasons why I rewatch it.

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I'm into the movie channels and the classic television channels.

ando here likes this.
  21. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    All 3 season's of the late 50s/early 60s tv Western, Wanted: Dead or Alive, with a young Steve McQueen are streaming free on Pluto On Demand. Looks like the series is making the streaming service rounds. I do enjoy watching four or five back to back when they're featured with a decent resolution. The dailymotion eps look like crap.

rockclassics and Shawn like this.
  22. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Vevo 80s – kinda reminds me of VH1 in its original form (all videos, no VJ segments, and no “shows”).

Star Trek – love TNG, so I default to it when there’s nothing else on.

primejive, NickySee and Shawn like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like to watch old "The Price is Right" episodes.

JPagan likes this.
  24. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Ha. Kinda like what the Twilight Zone is for me. A bit pissed Netflix no longer has it. But sflix has the original series - including season 4 which NF was never able to stream.

25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Spin City

NickySee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.