The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’m guessing he did mean 3/31/91 Greensboro - the Eyes Of The World that’s a bonus track on Dick’s Picks 17.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Im on the spyphone, I don't have the deadbase sitting next to me like at home.
    bingo, the one thats like 45 mins...
    Isnt that from 90?

3. John69

John69 Forum Resident

My favorites are the first 5 he played with them.
    Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
    09/15,16,18,19,20/90.
    Should you check them out I would suggest 2 things.
    Start with the 14th (just Vince Welnick) and then listen to the next five nights.
    Listen to the Dave Brotman (sp?) audience recordings.

4. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Thanks!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I will say that after listening to at least one great 77 show (6/9/77) IMHO I've finally gotten over my obsession that every great Dead show has to include Dark Star.

6. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

My favorite one that I attended was 6/22/91 - Soldier Field, Chicago.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Of course not; there's always 5/26/72. :nyah:

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, adamos and 3 others like this.
  8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I've heard a decent number of 72 shows but not that one...probably because it didn't have Dark Star :laugh:.
    Could make for some great shoveling music tomorrow (I noticed your a Mass native too :))

notesofachord, US Blues and Archtop like this.
  9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

4/26/72 too!

10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Ok so here's a question-whats your favorite Dead song that they never performed live? (Or perhaps VERY rarely)

11. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Jackson's book is great as a Jerry book, but to my mind, the best all-encompassing text is Jackson and David Gans' This Is All a Dream We Dreamed.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  12. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

That's great to know. I have been looking for a historical Dead book. So Many Roads and the McNally book were at the top of my list to purchase.

ARK likes this.
  13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Ahoy! I lived in Worcester from 1981-1985 at WPI. Just got in from my third shoveling episode; my wife needs to be gone by 5:45 AM to get to work in the 'morrow.
    Without question: Unbroken Chain. Not sure if they ever did Rosemary. That'd be #2.

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

WPI- went to many college parties in the early 90s there :edthumbs:
    Good luck with you and wife's travels this morning.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

So as I'm "supposed" to be listening to early 91 I get distracted by listening to Dicks Picks 4. Really good so far. Is this show overrated because I felt when listening to this show it was great but not necessarily absolutely top shelf. I could be wrong though.
    Edit: ok so I might might want to strike the above from the record as so far this show sounds great. Having a few drinks tonight. :)

ARK, Archtop, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  16. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Well that does kinda makes sense then, I suppose

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Dick's Picks 29 is proof that Spring '77 is better than Europe '72.

Everyone needs DiP 29.

18. Frosst

Well it was a ‘78 show I listened to when I made that comment...

19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

In 72-74, the 'one' in the Other One is Dark Star.
    12-7-68 Bellarmine college. IIRC Kreutzmann hurt himself and couldnt play so its a rare example of a show with Mickey as sole drummer.

Given the paucity of surviving tapes from that era, I think it is a reasonable conjecture that it was not the only performance of Rosemary, but it is the only extant document.

Of course, Unbroken Chain was performed live in 1995, but both of those definitely qualify as 'very rarely.'

Operator is mine, I always liked that tune. France is another, such a weird song for them to do, I wonder what the story with that one was.

20. Frosst

Except for early in their career, I don’t think they played Born Cross-Eyed that much.

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

So, I started with the first show in the PNW box — Vancouver 22/06/73 . . . Wow, what a show!!! It's a long one (over 4 hours) but after a full run through and a bit, stand-out versions so far for me: Bird Song (beautiful, soaring), China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Here Comes Sunshine, Black Peter (best version I've heard yet), and the massive massive jam from He's Gone > Truckin' > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Sugar Magnolia.
    An epic show that is quite rightly hailed as one of the best of 1973. I can't see it getting much better, but I look forward to the next one in Portland 24/06/73!

[​IMG]

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

That would have been great but then they did something like that with Spring '90 and botched it by doing half from soundboards and half from multis.

23. Six Bachelors

...with 11 February '70 in full as well, with the Star patched from the quite decent AUD recording.

ARK, Crispy Rob, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  24. Six Bachelors

On the way to work and then home from work today I listened to the second set, not including the encore. This show is stunning and I had forgotten a lot of the quirks and unique moments:
    - the Good Lovin' has a few passages that I've not heard in any other post-retirement Good Lovins, which I generally find quite lame
    - the segue from Good Lovin' to Samson is beautiful
    - the Scarlet is yet another of the brilliant '76 stand-alone Scarlets - as much as enjoy Scarlet>Fire when it happens, it's a bit sad that Scarlet became a near permanent curtain raiser to Fire from March '77 onwards. The territory they explored in the improvisations following Scarlet proper in '76 was special
    - the Help is masterfully played
    - the Slipknot twists and turns like I don't think I heard them do at any time in '77 (but @Archtop will pounce about the San Bernadino Slipknot)
    - the Dew...oh the Dew.

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

easy "golden road"