Blue Nile - Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pavol Stromcek, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Same here re hats...the other 2 are showing up today apparently.

2. flapland

flapland Forum Resident

Picked up Peace at last today in Fopp Covent Garden. Only one copy and none of the other scheduled releases. Still spinning the first side but so far very pleased.

3. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Where did you order them from?
    Thanks

4. brownsound2112

Amazon UK

5. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Great thanks, I have mine ordered from them, hopefully they send them out soon

brownsound2112 likes this.
  6. Bleu Noir

Bleu Noir Well-Known Member

The new A Walk Across The Rooftops sounds better to me (clearer and more lively) than the Virgin reissue from a few years back. For some reason those reissues sounded 'off' to me and I can't explain why.....kind of dull, as if the sheen was sandpapered off but still sounded OK. However for me nothing beats the original Tinseltown In The Rain 12", it just jumps off the turntable and sparkles through the speakers (of my very modest system).

Gardo and mishima's dog like this.
  7. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Walk across the rooftops arrived today. Just one word, wow!!

8. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Hopefully hats arrives soon. Like others amazon are saying the 21st.

9. Minorityshareholder

Minorityshareholder Forum Resident

Good to know. I bought the earlier reissue of AWATR and was hugely disappointed. Noisy pressing, pops galore and an overall underwhelming sound.

FWIW I have an original UK Hats LP which sounds great. Picked up the 2LP Peace at Last reissue which isn't bad.

Will check out the new version based on your assessment.

10. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

I bought the first two from their website, £30 each including shipping. Think Royal Mail May have tried to deliver them today when I wasn’t in so I’ll hopefully pick them up tomorrow, I got this email from them on the 12th nov:

Thanks for your purchase from The Blue Nile: Vinyl Reissues campaign.

We're just dropping you a line to let you know that, due to unprecedented demand and the tightness of our initial production scheduling, we have no choice but to move the release date back by one week.

The new Release Date will be 29th November and we are working to get you your orders on that day.

Thanks again

The Blue Nile

As a side note I saw Paul Buchanan in Waitrose in Glasgow about a year ago. He was with a younger American woman I took to be his gf though I could be mistaken. I stood next to them as he explained that it’s important to get Macvities digestive biscuits as other brands don’t taste so good!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I’m amazed that there’s anyone in Glasgow who doesn’t have AWATR, everyone and their granny had it when it came out.........the album was everywhere!

Tinseltown was the unofficial national anthem at one point.

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

[​IMG]

Well, he's right about that, nothing else comes close.

13. Bleu Noir

Bleu Noir Well-Known Member

Has anybody actually got the new Hats record?

NunoBento likes this.
  14. As a side note I saw Paul Buchanan in Waitrose in Glasgow about a year ago. He was with a younger American woman I took to be his gf though I could be mistaken. I stood next to them as he explained that it’s important to get Macvities digestive biscuits as other brands don’t taste so good!![/QUOTE]

Did she then ask him if he loved her?
    Did he say - Yes, I love you !
    Did he then ask her - Will we always be happy-go-lucky?

Just wondering.

Gardo, Jerry James, ted209 and 2 others like this.
  15. brownsound2112

Listening to Peace at Last...sounds nice.

How are they / were they a cult band and not one that achieved massive mainstream success. So, so good.

16. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

I have it. Unfortunately i can’t open it till Christmas as they are a present from someone. I do find it a bit odd that nobody has been on to share their thoughts on the pressing etc.

17. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

I think some people probably just don't have them yet. For example, I'm in the US and my pre-order from Amazon (US) does not even list an estimated delivery date yet, and Amazon listed the release date as Dec 6.

Edit: But I will definitely offer my opinions on Hats as soon as it arrives (if it arrives).

Electric Sydney likes this.
  18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve just had a message from Amazon that my copy of Hats has been dispatched and will be delivered tomorrow!

19. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

my Hats is coming in the next hour. I'm home this morning, which is handy - so I'll give it a quick wash, spin it and report back

as an aside, I'm not going to be too disappointed if this one ain't great. I have an original CD - and it's one of my best sounding albums - on any format. I'll be very surprised if the record will sound any better, but we will see

ted209 and Bleu Noir like this.
  20. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Are there download codes with these?

21. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

alright chaps. first impressions here - and disclaimer time: I am auditioning a new deck at the moment - and again, I only have an original CD to compare against -

first things first - the cover is pretty basic. thin and frankly, a little disappointing. the crappy paper sleeve was very tight on the record. I cut the record out -but as expected - muchos static. gonna give this element of the overall package 6/10

as for the music itself - which surely is the most important thing - man, this one sounds good! excellent clarity and separation throughout. fully crankable, too. the record itself seems to be cut on the quiet side, so you definitely have to be generous when turning the volume dial. I'm ok with that though. gonna give the sonics a solid 8.5/10. but again - I don't think my TT has hit the sweet spot yet, so this is subject to change

I can't speak about the other reissues in this series, but if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive copy of this absolute masterpiece - look no further

thumbs up emoji

22. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

negative

Rgfinch likes this.
  23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Mine’s shown up too, will be playing it tonight

24. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Mine has showed up as well but unfortunately the outer package has been damaged. Might contact amazon about a discount as I am pretty certain a replacement will be hard to source given that only a 1000 have been pressed.

25. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Was just in Rough Trade and they have copies of Hats in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.