The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Walking in Jerusalem just like John...

2. US Blues

It's from the Bahamas, not Panama.

You're thinking of Panama Red.

Bet your woman's up in bed
    With old, Panama Red!

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Crap, you're right...I didn't really think "Panama," I just wrote it probably because "Bahamanian" or "Bahamian" or "Bahaman," see I have no idea

KCWhistle, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  4. bzfgt

Oh yeah, crap.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  5. william72

william72 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2019
  6. bzfgt

1972-09-26

Excellent Cold Rain &Snow; Cumberland; really excellent He’s Gone with a hefty out jam, Weir seems to play Bird Song in the beginning; good BTW; Bird Song is a top version; Best Big River to date; killer PiTB; Half Step best of the year thus far, the solos are getting better; GSET is blazing; Truckin>Other One>Baby Blue Long jam out of Truckin, OO is relatively short but the jamming is there. Aud patch for a good chunk of OO.

Excellent show.

7. US Blues

Rough day?

8. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Listened to Almost Acoustic from the Garcia band this weekend. Liked some of it although might be a little to country for me. No offense to country fans!

dtuck90 and ianuaditis like this.
  9. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

It's a creeper. The folksy country vibes have now entered your blood stream and brain pathways, over time you will begin to crave that "high lonesome sound", at which point the only cure is to listen to every note played by the JGAB and OAITW.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Very rarely? "Unbroken Chain."
    Never? I think they never performed "Pride of Cucamonga"? Not too many others of the "nevers" that I would choose.

11. uzn007

This is a show where they'd really need to make a matrix. As I recall, you basically can't hear Peter Green at all on the soundboard.

12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I would love to hear an explanation of why they never did that one live.

Phil was too mad they couldn't get Unbroken Chain right so he took it off the table? (They'd dropped Box of Rain, maybe he still wasn't comfortable singing lead and playing bass yet, he didn't do another lead vocal until 85.)

But Pride of Cucamonga is pretty easy to learn, and it would have fit in so well with their 74 sound.

13. uzn007

Yeah, I've mentioned this as a real under-the-radar show before. Overshadowed by the following two nights, but it's got some real gems. The "Other One" is fairly mellow, but it's deep. One of my favorite "Playing"s.

14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Everyone needs DiP 29.[/QUOTE]

:bigeek::crazy: you will never convince me of this.

15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Listened to the rest of Dave’s 32 last night.
    This is a spectacular show. The Jam between Truckin’ and Dark Star is incredible. It is more like a reprise of the jam in Playing than it is Dark Star. A little more focused and driving than a usual DS.
    There is an annoying hum through long sections of this recording, especially noticeable when it gets quiet. Other than that, I’d put this show very high on the DP totem pole.

laf848, Crispy Rob, adamos and 8 others like this.
  16. ianuaditis

I was trying to remember what was the tape where they played this live (I guess it was 5-5-67,) but meantime I came across this clip.

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yup rarely ever played . is there an official live release that even features the song?

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

:bigeek::crazy: you will never convince me of this.[/QUOTE]

There’s one listed on amazon for $975. Cheap to find out. :righton:

19. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Phil had vocal cord damage from singing outside his natural range (he would usually take the high harmonies that Donna eventually sang), and stopped singing in '74. Didn't start again until the 80s, and even then, with a noticeably different range.

20. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

There's a tape from like 1970 or 71 (can't remember) where Bobby engages a guy who kept coming to shows and yelling for Golden Road, saying they wouldn't play it because they couldn't remember how it went. Only three live performances in '67, if memory serves.

Crispy Rob, adamos, Oliver and 4 others like this.
  21. uzn007

I'm not going to argue that it's better than the European tour in 1972. It's better than the Europe '72 album, IMO, simply by virtue of length and quality of jams. It's definitely one of the best releases in the Dick's Picks series, and 5-19 is the best show of the spring tour, and one of the few shows from that tour where they get within spitting distance of chaos.

22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Rarely played?

Believe it or not
    Unbroken chain
    Cream puff war

Visions of Johanna
    She belongs to me

23. US Blues

McGanahan Skjellyfetti

24. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Where does Billy K’s book rank?

25. ianuaditis

I don't think so. IIRC the version on 3-18-67 is not complete, but if they have that tape, that's one they should put out ASAP.

Listening to a psychedelic surf-rock Me and My Uncle from that date at the moment.