Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I'm sure it's been discussed previously but finally heard Highway Tune awhile back and my first thought was did they just listen to The Rover? The Zep singing style and sped up guitar riff is so close it's almost like a parody. Don't think you have to be an "old fogey" just know a bit about music to see it's hard to take these guys seriously. "The initial guitar riff for "Highway Tune" was cited by guitarist Jake Kiszka as being written as early back as 2010" it says on their wikipedia page...uhh okay then :laugh:

2. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Natasha and Matthew were introduced to the Dead Boys debut album over the weekend. I said nothing and Natasha immediately said that Safari Song is riffing on Caught With The Meat In Your Mouth. Good ears on that young lady. Hat tip to the New Jersey Inter-library loan system for Young, Loud And Snotty.

3. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

Great stuff. Sure it's a Zep knockoff, but I've yet to hear one this good, writing songs of this quality.
    With all the wreckage out there, these guys are a breath of fresh air.

Jam757, stewedandkeefed and MikeInFla like this.
  4. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Keeping in mind that I do like GVR, (more their 1st 2 EPs than their follow up album), I'm not sure I'd call these recycled riffs & melodies "a breath of fresh air".

Maybe if they show some musical growth with their next releases we can give them that credit. Right now they are sticking to the familiar, and that's not a putdown of them, merely an observation based on what they've done. They do have talent & potential, it's up to them to use it.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  5. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

This breath of fresh air smells like patchouli farts

eddiel, Freezerburn and Bluesman Mark like this.
  6. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

You are right about all your points. It's just been so long since something somewhat mainstream has come down the road to actually like. I listen to a lot of underground "stoner" bands mining classic rock territory, but they get no press. At least these guys have a crack at having some breakthrough success. I wish I had been as lucky 30 years ago!

7. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Right now I see them at a crossroads; they can go one of two ways: The Black Crowes route to an extent, with the type of musical growth that the Crowes showed with their 2nd & 3rd albums, (before the Crowes dissolved into egos, infighting, drugs & lost the plot to the point that it almost killed their career). Or, they can go the Molly Hatchet route, & like Hatchet never overcame the "Lynyrd Skynyrd clones" comparison, fail to overcome the "Led Zeppelin clones" comparison.

As I type this I'm playing Molly Hatchet's Greatest Hits BTW... :D

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They'd surely be flirting with disaster if they took that route.

eddiel and Bluesman Mark like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.