Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Rough mixes by Bill Halverson from 1968. Sitting On Top Of The World is posted on his website:

Bill Halverson - Legendary Producer, Engineer, Arranger - Bio

The basic tracks were cut at Wally Heider's (not demos), with overdubs at IBC. The basic track of Badge from Wally Heider's is posted on Halverson's site:

Bill Halverson - Legendary Producer, Engineer, Arranger - Bio

They are releasing the Goodbye shows because those are the shows that exist.

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Previously unreleased or taken from another release ??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

@lukpac- thanks for the link to Badge-:thumbsup:

4. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Some excellent stuff on Bill's bio page too, check out Sitting On Top Of The World audio clip.
    Thanks @lukpac for these links, all new to me and much appreciated. :agree:

5. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Do you happen to know if they still have access to the the March '68 tapes (Wheels of Fire recording dates at Winterland/Fillmore).

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not aware of anything complete like the fall shows, just a few songs. I know there's an alternate mono mix of Crossroads, for example; I don't know where that came from though.

mattazing and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for the link! Loved the bare version of Badge and also the story of the missing Leslie pedal :)

The Sitting On Top Of The World Mix also sounds good, looking forward to the complete shows!

supermd, Matthew Tate and murch like this.
  8. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The Atlantic warehouse fire was in 1978, and the March 7, 1968 "Sunshine" was released on a maxi-single (and AFAIK never otherwise). No idea if that was taken from the multis but could it be there might be hope these March 1968 recordings still exist? :)

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything more than a few random tracks.

jdw and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Pout. ;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

You're going to get varying opinions, but mine is that the band were not quite as good as they had been in 1967. Don't get me wrong, they still performed at a relatively high level (If they were going through the motions, they were still darn good at it!). Good shows combined with what should be great sound quality make this set a must have for any fan! In fact, for some this release may be more enjoyable than anything from 1967 based on sound quality alone. However, I just don't believe they matched up performance wise with what we have from 1967, specifically from the first North American tour (Whisky, Fillmore, Detroit, etc).

12. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Amazing band, only together for a little over 2 years but guess they were lucky to last that long with the volatile personalities and egos involved.

13. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh Boy! This set is gonna be killer. Listening to the mix of Sunshine it sounds very nice indeed.
    If the RAH set is better than what I already have then I will be very happy. I have the bootleg of these sets and it is great. Loving all these EU copyright releases.

14. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

Thanks for affirming how good the mix is :D
    Looking forward to getting the whole boxset

RockRoom and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

You would think that as it was their farewell show it would have been recorded on multitrack with a view of releasing it at a later date, but it was not. What exists is a mono line recording that was the basis of the film footage soundtrack. Review files for the set have been sent to journalists today. The producers have worked miracles with the audio for the RAH show. It is now very listenable and I am sure fans will be pleased to have this historic show in the box set. No John Peel introduction though and I think White Room may be from the first show, but I need to listen again to be sure. If you are a Cream fan, you are going to love this set.

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Agreed. This is a deal breaker for me. I am not pre-ordering but will wait on reports on mastering first.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks Marc! Every time a new set like this comes up, I always reach out for your books to see what was recorded, set lists, etc. They’re the best Clapton recording resource out there for fans like me :)

So the RAH show is mono release then?

18. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, RAH is mono, but I have not heard it sound as good before. The producers did a great job with what they had available.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

clapton sure does like to release live stuff doesn't he?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

That’s great to hear! I cannot wait for this set.

andrewskyDE and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don’t think Clapton is too involved.

22. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Ordered the SHM-CD version. Clapton had said one the last shows they played (Philadelphia?) was one of the Band's best. Hope some of those tracks are on this.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Got and email from Clapton's Website about this.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No tracks from Philadelphia are on the Goodbye Tour box.

DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m fine with Mono Royal Albert Hall, I will take this and be most grateful. Just imagine if it had cleaned up multi camera option Blu Ray too.