Rega Planar 2 for beginner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by skads_187, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skads_187

skads_187 Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi, looking to get some feedback for cyber monday. I already own a couple of vinyls (while purchasing various edition sets). I think its time to finally get a turntable (and purchase a few more records too).

I did a little bit of comparison, seems like the Rega Planar 2 is a better choice when compared to the Debut Carbon.

I don't know much about turntables, only what I've read from this forum here and there. I'm looking for something that will sound great and work great. As far as I can tell, this is a manual TT and that is about as far as I know. I keep seeing Rega come up in discussions and reviews. So this why I was aiming at this one.

I have a Pioneer LX701 model receiver which I believe has a phono input and then I am assuming I'm pretty much setup after connecting it? No need for any other components?

I wish I could go for the Planar 3, but were looking at roughly $850 CAD more for that jump, which is a lot. The Planar 2 price was the most I wanted to pay.

PhxJohn likes this.
  2. MichaelArcane

MichaelArcane Purveyor of Terrible Opinions

My wife got me the Rega P2 as a gift last month. I am really enjoying it, I think you'll be very happy with it. If you amp has a phonostage built in, then yes you won't need anything else to get up and running.

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Easily the best built and best sounding deck near it's price. It can sound even better later when it's time for a cartridge upgrade.
    -Bill

4. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Correct on both counts.

You may find, if you love vinyl and love your turntable, that the phono section built in to your receiver, likely a 50 cent intergrated circuit, is a bit lacking. You can always add an outboard phono preamplifier at a later date. We will be waiting to welcome you down the rabbit hole!

dtyndall, skads_187 and Dennis Metz like this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I highly recommend a subplatter upgrade. Google Tango Spinner or find a metal one on eBay. I would honestly make this upgrade before even replacing the cartridge. Something like a GrooveTracer seems out of place for the lower tier Rega models.

skads_187 likes this.
  6. skads_187

Interesting, thanks so far everyone, I have placed the order online for now. Any phono preamplifiers that you can recommend that arent too expensive that will be worth upgrading to? 100-200$ range?
    Im assuming this still plugs into the same phone jacks on the receiver. How does the receiver know at the point not to use its own? not sure how it works, how does one override the other? thanks

7. skads_187

interesting, any way of screwing up the change? is the double zirconia better than the astor model? thanks

8. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

No, stop! You will need to plug the cables from your phono stage into a spare line level pair of sockets. These might be labelled CD, Aux, Tuner, Video, etc.
    Do not plug the outputs from the phono stage into the phono inputs VB of you amp. Doing so will damage the phono stage built into your amp and possibly the rest of your amp as well.

displayname, patient_ot and skads_187 like this.
  9. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

10. skads_187

got it, this makes a lot of sense.

11. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Essentially the phono stage raises the low level output from the cartridge to about that of other components such as tuners and CDPs. So if you plug it into the phono input of your amp you will overload the built in phono stage circuit, possibly also sending something 'nasty' to the power stage. If the signal makes it that far your speakers might be too happy either.

12. skads_187

so this is a really good one? basically once converted to CAD (~300$) with shipping, its priced 100$ more than a new Rega - Fono Mini A2D, Rega Fono MM Mk3 is 200$ more @ $500, are they comparable , since the regular price of Music Fidelity is 500$USD

13. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

You can buy a phono preamp for $50-100 (in ascending price, Art DJ Pre II, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, and Uturn Pluto). I'd take the money you save on a fancier preamp and put it toward a better cartridge. Since your antiskating is fixed at around 2, look for cartridges in the $100-$150 price range with a tracking force of 2. Two nice options at or below $150 are the Audio-Technica VM95EN and Sumiko Rainier (the Rainier may be too tall, though). For $150, the AT95SLC from LP Gear is a line contact version of the famous AT95E. The advantage of these cartridges is you can upgrade to a better stylus without changing the cartridge again. Good luck and enjoy your turntable.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    skads_187 likes this.
  14. skads_187

ok say I do get the cartridge as well, but I will need to look at that later, is the LX-LPS worth it since its on sale today?

15. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

In my opinion unless the phono in your integrated amp is exceptionally bad, $100 USD is going to be about the same. It might sound different, but I wouldn't really call it an upgrade so much as a change in sound signature most of the time. I think $300USD + is when it's really worth your while to upgrade the phono. I also think it's one of the most underrated parts of the vinyl chain, so I do suggest doing it once you're ready.

Also, another personal opinion, if you're just getting into vinyl, stick with the stock P2 for a few months. Enjoy it, get some more records, and start setting aside money for upgrades. All the upgrades everyone suggested will likely make a difference. You notice big differences when you go for totally different sound signatures, or go you for big jumps (which I generally think of as at least 2-3X in cost, but cost isn't everything either).

Edit - I just noticed the sale on the Music Fidelity. I haven't heard that unit, but that's a good sale and they are a well regarded company. If you have the funds it might hard to beat that new. But sales come and go all the time.

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  16. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If I had a receiver with a built-in phono stage and I was turntable shopping, I’d probably just buy a Rega Planar 2, plug it in the phono input, and start playing records. That’s the beauty of built-in phono stages and cartridges that are bundled with the turntable.

Purple, wolfyboy3, PhxJohn and 4 others like this.
  17. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

Please don't think about upgrades until you've plugged the thing it. Spend a good few hundred hours listening and only then consider the upgrade options.

Magnetic Brian, FJFP, Purple and 7 others like this.
  18. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I put a Groovetracer Reference subplatter on my RP1. Makes perfect sense. Huge improvement.

skads_187 likes this.
  19. skads_187

I don't want to go to crazy to start with, however, time is a bit limited on my end, so if there is a difference in quality, I wouldn't mind simply starting with a few upgrades, ie subplatter and phono pre-amp and maybe cartridge as well, to enjoy it the few times I will have to actually enjoy it. The phono (Music Fidelity) price seems very interesting , as the price in CAD is almost the same as the if I purchased the Rega Fono Mini A2D MM and from what I'm reading, the LX-LPS is better.

Not that I will buy right away, but what are some good cartridge upgrades, significant difference and is it easy to change? Basically whats the best/cheapest upgrade that doesnt require spacers, or alignement/weight difference/balance or any additional work of any kind, just a simple swap, Ive never done this before. I guess Rega is the most simplistic? is the Bias II a good option? does Ortofon fit well?

20. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

If you're set in an upgrade just buy a P3 or P6 out of the gate and get to the listening part instead of cork sniffing

FJFP, Purple, dtyndall and 3 others like this.
  21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

This, 100%.
    -Bill
    Nothing about turntable set-up is simple. If you buy a Rega Elys or Eaxact cartridge, they will bolt up, straight away and be aligned properly. No adjustments, up down, nor sideways. It makes no sense to set a low buget, buy a cheaper turntable, and then lots of accessories and bling for it. You have the phono stage built-in, and apparantly since you are considering all of this other stuff, enough money in budget to buy the better table. Just do that. The Planar 3 is a nicer deck, with nicer arm, and can be bought with a nicer cartridge already installed. When it comes time to replace that cartridge, which will be the Elys 2, you'll just unbolt it, bolt in the new one, and swap the wires. Nothing more to do.

later, if you do decide to upgrade your phono stage, buy a really nice one. Look at $500 - $1000 units. You can also get a Rega Exact or even a Low Output Moving Coil from them, such as the Ania, which will also bolt right up and require no further tinkering. Either cartridge will sound way better and suit a $1000 phono preamp.

Buy the best piece that you can afford each time and don't be always second guessing your choices or worrying about what 100 random people on the internet think, who will never have to listen to your system, nor work for the money to buy it.
    -Bill

Purple and skads_187 like this.
  22. skads_187

you are both somewhat correct. However, you are right, maybe I'm looking at making too many changes too fast. this wasnt the idea. The idea was, I had an x amount of money for a TT, it was on sale yesterday, so I saved quite a bit. roughly 200$ CAD. I was simply thinking of using those savings for any small upgrades.

getting to the P3. its still far beyond reach in terms of pricing where I am located. with taxes we are looking at $1725 CAD vs the 650$, so there is still 1075$ difference. Obviously I am not looking at spending 1075 in upgrades, or anything close to it.
    I can guarantee you I do not have the 1725 to purchase it straight up. (p6 is 2300$ , so even further out)

I was simply trying to get as much info as possible for now to have an idea. Again, I wont change the cartridge now, and I definitely don't think Ill be able to purchase the expensive models (especially the Exact model), If I am extremely lucky, maybe the Elys 2 if its on sale , but I doubt it. Affordable would be the Bias II. not sure if its worth the jump? but again, this wont be an immediate change now.

I waited quite awhile to get to this point to buy the TT finally. I saw a savings opportunity and jumped on it. its easier to spend 650$ and then later on add some pieces here and there in the 100-200$ price range, but only a few not many.
    thanks

Edit: Just to add, Im assuming even with a p3 or p6 at that level, you would still need to be a nice pre-amp to go along with it? so + more money.

PhxJohn likes this.
  23. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I bet you will be happy with the P2 as is.

24. skads_187

I think so, but after some thinking, I am exploring the small possibility of the planar 3, I reached out to 2 local stores, just to see if they can do anything with the price. stay tuned... I definitely dont want to change the TT in the future, whatever I buy I would like to keep.

PhxJohn likes this.
  25. skads_187

ok the people have spoken and I have listened. good thing I reached out to my local store. I have officially cancelled my p2 order.
    I'm going to be visiting the store this weekend most likely.

Just needed some opinions on the cartridge, as I have some options at the time of purchase (and of course this can be done at a later date). I was surprised at the price they are giving me the p3 at. this was what made the difference.

this is all in CAD, hopefully it makes sense, all prices are TT w/o cartridge + cartridge cost
    option 1 - buy with elys 2 +150$ (biggest discount as elys2 goes for 350$ roughly on its own)
    option 2 - ortofon 2m blue installed + 314$ (164$ more than with Elys2 total)
    option 3 - ortofon 2m bronze installed + 489$ (339$ more than with the Elys2 total)

I don't mind starting with the elys2 for now and upgrade at a later date. The only thing is, Ive been reading some of the threads on here, and doesn't seem like too many people are happy with the elys2. The 2m blue would be more affordable for me at the moment. but either one I don't mind waiting, is the rega exact worth waiting for to upgrade later in the future?
    I listen to mostly rock music.
    hopefully this doesn't need a new thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.