SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

@Steve Hoffman advice for mono carts? (Affordable mono carts, please). I have rare mono vinyl and I want to do some good needledrops. I know you've said just to use stereo carts on new issue mono (which I also have), but for original mono pressings what mono cart options of today would you recommend?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can’t help you!

3. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Not sure what affordable is, but the Audio-Technica AT-MONO3/LP is well regarded. Used to sell for closer to $100 and maybe there still are sources out there closer to that, but current MSRP seems to be $189

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  4. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

What is your favored release of Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon?

5. Steve Hoffman

Kevin Gray/Doug Sax co-mastered colored vinyl LP..

6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

Dear Mr. Hoffman: you might know something about this - why does Leon Russell's "This Masqurade" sound like (for want of a technical term) it was recorded through the thin wall of an adjacent room in a lonely hotel? I actually love how it sounds, but I wonder if anyone ever attempted to remix it (at the time or later).

7. Steve Hoffman

The entire album sounds like it was recorded in the back of a bus.

8. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Very short question;
    the
    2005 S
    undazed 7" 45 rpm single reissue of Iggy Pop and the Stooges, "Search and Destroy / Penetration".

Do you know if this is an all Analog job or Digital?

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Whazz the Goss in Hoffman land?
    Any new pets?

10. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

That's funny and so true when you think about it.
    I'm a big fan of HDTracks, some stuff sounds stellar. Some good. And some, a small minority, sucks.
    On the whole I trust HD Tracks to get it mostly right, most of the time.
    Quobuz on the other hand, I do not trust at all.

11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

The first album by The Kinks has a decent stereo mix, why do you think there isn't any for the next two albums and the ones for Face to Face and Something Else are so bad?
    Also, what's your go-to source for the Kinks' 60s material?

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Both just sell whatever the labels give them.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's funny because they sell the same files from the same sources..

14. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Hey Steve, want to follow up on something I asked you around a year ago in this thread. I love all the bands you mentioned, but would especially be interested in your first hand account of seeing Led Zeppelin. What years did you see them and what did you think of their performance? What was the Forum audiences like for a Zeppelin show (Stoned and mellow?, Routy?)? Were the acoustics in the building good? Stuff like that, but basically anything you would like to share.

Thanks!

15. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Would you ever want to remix/remaster The Rutles album from the 2” 24 Tracks?

And also: what’s the hardest parts of mastering?

wellhamsrus likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

I was told that the first album in stereo was a later mix. The multi-tracks for all of those early albums are missing.

The later stereos are just what they are, engineered by someone who had not much to work with...

A well respected man likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

The audience was typical LA mellow. We had terrible seats, the band seemed not thrilled. That's about all I remember... Sorry! Sound was terrible in there, always was..

jdlaw likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

The original mixes are great, why bother? On the other hand, it would be really, really fun. I dearly love those songs.

Hardest part of mastering? Knowing when to stop messing with the stuff.

19. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That's odd. It came out in stereo in 1964 (unless it was fake stereo and they did the true stereo later, like you were told)

Kinks* - Kinks

20. Steve Hoffman

I don't know, the mix doesn't sound very 1964. The reverb trail is way too short, etc. But, as I say, not sure.

A well respected man likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

been awhile since i asked, any chance of you doing any more CSN(Y) stuff? (deja vu would be the ultimate)

22. Steve Hoffman

No, too many legal problems now and too expensive. Audiophile record labels are soon going to be a thing of the past, sadly.

grx8, vonwegen, mahanusafa02 and 2 others like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:tiphat:

Exotiki likes this.
  24. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Besides the mixing of Roundabout, what do you think of Jo Jo’s Bizarre Adventure? I also have an obsessed 16 year old daughter who loves the series. When I told her the show was mentioned by you, her first question to me was “Does he like the show?!!”

beartrackrecords likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

I do like the show. I like it for two reasons other than plot, etc. First, my oldest kid loves it and I love him and he begged me to watch it. Second, the writer is obsessed with Rock. That tickles me.

I'm only on part 10 (starting in the year 1938) so there's lot to still watch..

beartrackrecords likes this.