Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I don't need to watch the original episodes of CA I've seen them multiple times, I watched them last night for crying out loud.

I don't think the "joke" aspect is that pronounced during the first season, or even there at all, especially not on the Barney Rosenzweig episodes. Campy and humorous? Sure, but there's enough dead bodies and unsettling plots for it to be a regular crime show.

The new movie succeeded, it was made...but it did horribly at the box office. No chance of a sequel, unless they want to lose even more money.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Noted director Tim Miller reflects on his hopes for the recent Terminator: Dark Fate film and why it was a bomb. Hint: his producer didn't help.

Why 'Terminator: Dark Fate' Director Won't Work With James Cameron Again

Here's a very telling line about why he didn't go back to Deadpool:

For Miller, part of the challenge with Dark Fate was being in a position where he did not have ultimate control as a director. That was part of the reason he opted not to return for Deadpool 2 after having creative differences with star Ryan Reynolds. "It became clear that Ryan wanted to be in control of the franchise. You can work that way as a director, quite successfully, but I can't," Miller said.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure. In 1976, I was 9 and those women looked elderly. Now I'm 52 and women in their late 20s look like kids to me.

It's not the women that changed - it's the old fogies who ogle them! :D

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

That’s a great point.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It can't be easy with Cameron looking over your shoulder. If found this quote a little odd, "[I suggested] Legion is so powerful, the only way to beat it is going back in time and strangle it in the crib," recalls Miller. "Jim says, 'What's dramatic about the humans losing?' And I say, 'Well, What's dramatic about the humans winning and they just need to keep on winning?' I like a last stand. It's not his thing."

The response from Cameron doesn't make any sense, Avatar was a perfect example of making the audiences empathic towards the aliens (native to their planet, humans were the actual aliens in this case) and their plight. The humans certainly did not win and were sent home. Anyhow that story will resume soon enough. As for Dark Fate, the movie wasn't good enough if I'm being honest as a fan.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The first one made a ton of dough $1.274 B - $400.7 m domestic and $873.4 m foreign on a $150 million budget. We are not the target demographic obviously and the timing is good for a high quality animated feature. 75% critics / 94% fans on RT. Early estimates indicate it has a good chance of beating the first one. High fives all around at Disney.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I've heard that one before, but we'll see...

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Hard at work in New Zealand.

[​IMG]

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Box Office: 'Frozen 2' Opens to Fiery $127M in U.S., Record $350M Globally

Walt Disney Animation Studios' Frozen 2 opened to a record $127 million in the U.S. and a fiery $223.3 million overseas for a massive global launch of $350.2 million, the No. 1 worldwide launch ever for an animated title, not adjusted for inflation (many family films have a staggered rollout offshore). Frozen 2 opened well ahead of expectations — particularly overseas.

SandAndGlass and sunspot42 like this.
  10. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Saw an "early access" screening of Knives Out last night (not a typical free pre-screening, but an normal price public screening that just happened to be half a week early - I suppose designed to get some word-of-mouth going?). Sold-out theater and a very entertaining and crowd-pleasing movie, and I think it occupies a unique yet wide-enough niche (a non-franchise film made for adults that is neither explicit enough to alienate senior/conservative crowds nor stuffy or pretentious) to not get buried by any of the immediate competition.
    Combine with a reasonable budget ($40 million), considerable star power, day before Thanksgiving release, and great reviews I would be shocked to see it do poorly, despite Lionsgate having been infamous in recent years for not promoting many of their movies properly outside of a few exceptions like John Wick.
    I think $20mil 5 day opening is a sure bet but $30mil+ would be very nice, I think final tally will depend on how well the word-of-mouth spreads and motivates people to turn up over the coming weeks.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Agree. This film could have very wide appeal. I mentioned in the Knives thread how positive the audience reaction was at my screening. I noticed a large family group come in; everyone from teens and 20-somethings to mom and dad. They all LOVED it. I could see my 79 year old stepmother enjoying this one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

Looks like one of the repurposed smokestacks from the old Titanic set.

Deuce66 and Vidiot like this.
  13. Vidiot

I said the same thing! :laugh:

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

That's a shame. I much prefer the first Deadpool to it's sequel.

15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I saw it with my granddaughters and was surprised to see a recurringly sad, somewhat mature film for young adults - and with amazing effects!

Deuce66 likes this.
  16. Vidiot

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Crass, 1979, I Ain't Thick It's Just A Trick

Tried to get me with a T.V. show
    But I wouldn't have none of it, no, no, no
    Standards and values on a black and white screen
    Sarah Farah Fawcett acting mean
    She's got the lot, that's what
    They want you to think
    Read between the lines
    You'll see the missing link
    She's just a ****ing puppet
    In their indoctrination plan
    "Be like me girls and become a real man,"
    Live to the full, always act flash

Don't use your brains when
    Your body makes the splash

marmalade166 likes this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's another shot, the most detailed I've seen yet from one of the New Zealand live action sets.

[​IMG]

19. SandAndGlass

One thing that you can really give Cameron credit for is his elaborate sets.

Even with so much CGI in his movies, he still makes use of extensive practical sets.

Deuce66 likes this.
  20. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

She's never been a bankable star. Her biggest hit films were successful because of the other actors and actresses in them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Banks has added to the films she's been in, so that synopsis seems a bit unfair, but I agree that she's not and never has been a box office draw.

"Hunger Games", "Pitch Perfect", "Spider-Man" - all big franchises, but none are what anyone would call "Elizabeth Banks vehicles"! :)

Matthew Tate and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Last Christmas bombed .. as I predicted..it would..
    A pointless movie that should of never been made.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

$67 million worldwide box office take versus a budget of $30 million

Matthew Tate and brownie61 like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

I don't think that it was a bad Christmas movie, by any means.

It may yet bring in some more dollars at the box office.

Thirty million is not an excessive amount to spend of a movie production. I thought that Last Christmas had a very good production quality. The use of color really made the visuals pop and the music was nicely done.

If they could have brought it it for 2/3 of the production cost, it would have been a success.

Most of the modern production movies that I have seen lately have excellent production values, it is just that they cost too much to make.

At least, it wasn't the Thanksgiving turkeys that Terminator: Dark Fate or Charlie's Angles were!

Gobble, Gobble...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    brownie61 likes this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Your definition of $$ bomb is different from mine, it already recovered it's production budget ($25-30 million).

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.