Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I’m sure you did. My point was Clapton is likely not very involved with reissue product. He probably signs off, but I suspect he isn’t overly concerned with the details.

2. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I think his point is just that the audience recordings capture the amps at full blast whereas the official recordings have the amps turned down somewhat for whatever reason.

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Indeed it is enough to gauge what it would of been like regardless of audio quality. Bruce probably played similar but Clapton would loose out the most.

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't think we know that for certain. The sound of the audience recordings (and Detroit, which isn't an audience recording) likely has far more to do with the way they are recorded than amp volume.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  5. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The news of this box set was a big surprise and very welcome, even if almost all of this stuff has been available forever.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Exactly, but it should contain sound quality upgrades. When Levenson posted he was working on a live Cream release earlier in the year, I suspect no one thought it was on unheard tapes. This is definitely something to look forward to.

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

....on bootlegs. I (and I suspect, most people)prefer to buy legit releases so money can be returned to the artist.

8. so how many shows were performed on the tour and how many were recorded

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Oh for sure...I'm going to jump all over it once it's released!

10. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Amazon showing 2/7/20 release date.

DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I was gonna post those same links. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

@hoggydoggy I have that Ginger Baker album. So now I'm comparing the recordings and The Ginger Baker Album indeed has the same performance as released on the Clapton single, except in mono. Oh well. I got the album for cheap and it's still the only place to get Ginger and Art Blakey's drum battle!!! Good catch.

(Full disclosure I have the Fillmore recording via the Wheels Of Fire set, not sure if that was a different mix to the actual maxi-single.)

Matthew Tate and hoggydoggy like this.
  12. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up - oh well, looks like we've got to wait a while longer, before we learn any more about the true nature of the RAH recording they're using...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What exactly is the question?

14. revolution_vanderbilt

The Ginger Baker album claimed to feature Sunshine Of Your Love from the Royal Albert Hall. Despite this, it's in fact a mono mix of the Fillmore Auditorium, which can be heard elsewhere (the After Midnight Maxi Single and The Wheels Of Fire SHM set) in stereo.

The question was how the RAH recording sounded on that Ginger Baker Album but obviously it could not provide an answer after all!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I thought @hoggydoggy's question was regarding RAH on the new release, which as far as I knew wasn't in question.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. PitreVert

PitreVert Active Member

17. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

@revolution_vanderbilt calls it correctly - I'd seen that particular Ginger Baker compilation purported to have a version of Sunshine from RAH 1968 & was curious as to how it sounded & whether it would provide a hint as to what the new set might sound like. As it turns out, it was mislabelled (deliberately or accidentally, who knows...)

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Appears Live Cream, Live Cream Vol 2. and the Live side of WOF will stand as definitive ( Stere0 -that is)

And with that I'm out.

Goodbye Mono-

Enjoy though-:)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why do you say that?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My take on this is, yes. they were at their peak in 1967, and perhaps a bit burnt out in 1968 ... but even at less than 100% they were still amazing and worth hearing.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I misunderstood Marc's post. I thought he meant all the shows on this set were presented in mono.

I take it back (right out of here)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think it's kinda funny when people say, "Oh, Cream live 1968 are not as good as 1967," as if the performances here are going to be sub-par. Like, it's Cream. As in "of the crop."

24. revolution_vanderbilt

Just wanted to add that the version on the Ginger Baker Album seems to have added applause and also runs a bit faster. But when lining up sections, the phasing sounds alone make it clear that it's an identical performance to the Fillmore.

25. revolution_vanderbilt

Totally different shows too. I think comparing early 68 to later 68 makes for a better comparison at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.