Farewell tour opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WithinYourReach, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial Thread Starter

With a growing number of bands within the last 10-20 years announcing farewell tours, currently on one, or reuniting and/or continuing years after one, how do individuals of the SH community view farewell tours? The real question, is it okay for a band to reunite or continue on after a farewell tour? I look forward to your choices in the poll and responses below.

2. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Unless a band is intentionally being dishonest with the "Farewell Tour" moniker just to drum up sales, I have no problem with them coming back. In 1989 and onward, I wasn't gonna say "Damn, I really wish The Who had stuck to being gone."

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Can't really choose any of the options. A band can decide to do whatever it wants, keep playing, retire, comeback, whatever suits them. When key members leave, or die, I'll likely lose interest, but there are countless cases where other fans have been okay with it, so more power to them. They owe the fans nothing.

Honestly, I'm beginning to think that a lot of bands simply went on too long. It's rare that an artist can truly keep peoples interest across decades. There are too many bands I wish had quit, who carried on and sullied their discography with nonsense, imo. Still, it's their choice, and it's the choice of the fans to either go see them or not.

ps: Dig the Marquee Moon Avatar.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  4. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

As long they can still deliver the goods on stage, why shouldn't they keep playing. And at the end of the day, it's the band's choice. If you don't like it, don't go.

5. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Elton has a 9th farewell date scheduled here in PA in April 2020. (He started in 2018). Each swing through adds $$$ to the price. It’s a bit overkill.

6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

any and all farewell tours should culminate with a show whereby the members stand in a circle and simultaneously shoot each other at the end of the last song. it's just the right thing to do.

otherwise, gtfo with your stupid farewell tours.

AnthonyCM, Meyer, milankey and 12 others like this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

We don't need more things to moralize about.

8. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Everyone just thinks it’s a temporary cash grab thanks to the trend set by Kiss.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

I have no real problem with it. Time goes on, the members of the band decide they want to tour again - who is it hurting? Nobody's going to be forced to buy a ticket - if you think it's a cash grab, just stay home. On the other hand I have some bands who have called it a day that I would love to see again.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A-Ha and Scorpions were two acts that recently went back against their word.

squittolo likes this.
  11. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Motley Crue should be the poster child for this option.

It's not just the simple fact a band like Motley Crue was deliberately claiming with all sorts of hoopla no doubt to boost ticket sales that their last tour was The Last Tour, but the fact that the band, especially Vince Neil just can't hack it any more.

Now I wouldn't ever deny a band the right to play 'til they drop no matter how awful their musical chops may have deteriorated and make whatever crazy money they can still get from fans. And with everyone videoing shows often live and posting comments, reviews etc these days, it's pretty tough for any even marginally savvy fan to get duped into paying good money for a show they *know* will likely be lousy for the above reasons.

What bugs me is bands making a gigantic deal about "THIS IS OUR LAST TOUR!" as basically a transparent marketing ploy to drive more fans to see them that one last time and a few years later, they're back on the road doing it again.

12. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Coincidentally or not, all the bands and artists that have done farewell tours are bands/artists that I don't really care for in the first place. So with that said, I don't think very much of them by default.

13. It's about money and creating a false sense of scarcity, unless Scotty beams them up, they can always come back.

14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Bands that have "Farewell" tours should be forbidden from ever touring again.

andrewskyDE, squittolo and bmh5879 like this.
  15. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Hater!
    You know you’re going to be there this summer, watching the Crüe kickin’ ass!

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yeah, it gets kind of amusing when you start talking about performers in their mid-70s and people are wondering if they are going to do a cash grab in ten years.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I had to put "It Depends"
    Someone else stated correctly, if they are genuinely pulling up stumps and retiring, all good.
    If they are intentionally being deceitful, for extra sales, that's fairly pitiful.

Having said that. I honestly reckon, for example, Bob Seger is finishing off his Farewell Tour, and I see no reason to assume it isn't genuine .... but, if in five years time people are asking him to do a tour, and he feels up to doing it, Why Not? Call it "The apparently you want me back tour" lol

WithinYourReach and Joe McKee like this.
  18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

No Who tour since '82 was ever billed or presented as such.

Herman Schultz and squittolo like this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Eh, that was started before KISS (see Ozzy and The Who)

20. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I didn't say it was. Where do you get that interpretation? I'm saying that since they've come back in 1989, I'm not mad that they've broken the Farewell "promise" of 1982.

21. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Here's a story from Milwaukee... Elton John played in October at the Fiserv Forum on his "last" tour. The tickets went on sale in 2018. I'm not sure what the demand looked like initially, but towards deadline, prices were big for the resale community - $900.00, etc. So, Elton came and went, and the VERY NEXT DAY they announced a return visit to the same venue in April. If I was one of the people who shelled out big bucks for his "last" performance, I'd be a little perturbed. KISS just did the same exact thing, except they have the good grace to play a different arena this time. Still...

WithinYourReach likes this.
  22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The concept of the ‘Farwell Tour’ has been abused so much that it’s meaningless.

It’s also become de rigeuer for an artist to announce a ‘farewell tour’, then midway through make a comment to the effect that the tour is going so well they might not actually call it day, after all....

I believe Frank Sinatra initiated this phenomenon.

FillmoreGuy, squittolo and MrGrumpy like this.
  23. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I’m not sure if they advertised it as such, but Roger in interviews certainly spoke of “The Who hits 50 tour” as being part of their “long goodbye.” It certainly implied it was a finale of some kind.

24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Not exactly a farewell “tour”, but I wish Robbie wouldn’t have made The Band’s dissolution in 1976 a matter of principle.

That one still hurts.

fishcane and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  25. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Honestly, I do not think very highly of "farewell tours" - at all. I think most/all "farewell tours" are disingenuous - at best.

The only loser here is the dedicated fan.

I am never been hoodwinked into purchasing a ticket to a "farewell tour".

And I never will.

bmh5879 and Zoot Marimba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.