Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Bitblur

Bitblur Forum Resident

The 10LP set is now sold out the world over. If you see it buy it, there will not be a second pressing.

sunspot42 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m sure there is live concert video from every tour in the vault.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

I wish the estate would bump up the resolution on these concert DVDs. They don’t have to be 1080p Blu-ray but make me believe it’s not just a VHS rip burned to disc that I could’ve done in 2004.

4. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

When the movie was released in theatre in 1988 I thought it was very close to the actual concerts (the songs that are in the movie...). I have seen three SOTT shows in 1987, so my recollection of the shows was pretty clear :)

5. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I actually start losing interest after 'Automatic'. Before that, it's gold. I really like 'Automatic', but, as you say, it outlives its welcome a bit. After that, it's pretty weak. 'Something in the Water' is interesting, but has never completely clicked for me (so I'm looking forward to hearing the alternate version), and the other four sound by-the-numbers to me. I think I prefer any of the three b-sides to those tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Summer of Malcontent

That's another one which would need three CDs just to encompass everything that was officially released at the time. There's over an hour of remixes, plus nearly an hour of edits and b-sides. So Warners could put together a credible deluxe edition even if they didn't have any access to vault material.

Eric_Generic and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

Even though I know they'll probably end up putting "Feel U Up" on a Batman deluxe because it was on the flip of "Partyman" I don't think it really belongs there, it would fit in way better on a SOTT box along with the rest of the Camille songs. The main reason for a Batman deluxe that I know of is "Dance With The Devil" - now there's a track that should have made the album.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I had the same impression, though I saw the live show only once.

9. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

I agree with you totally. But. The first album is very short, two 15 minute sides. Aside from possibly replacing "Free" with "Moonbeam Levels" the one adjustment that really tempts me would be to move Delirious to side B, making that side just under 20 minutes and leaving space on side A after "Little Red Corvette" for "Possessed".

crimsondonkey and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. I get the feeling that all those folks who think "Automatic" is too long, is just another way of saying, "I don't know how to dance." :p

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

[​IMG]

12. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Ah yes, the Scandalous Sex Suite!

13. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Not true. There are plenty of stores that still have this available.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm more into the William Orbit remixes of The Future and Electric Chair, which were released in Europe.

JackDVD78 and superstar19 like this.
  15. Summer of Malcontent

'Electric Chair' is probably my favourite Prince remix not done by Prince. Why on Earth did they release the stillborn 'Arms of Orion' as a single when this track (and 'Trust') were right in front of them?

16. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Yeah, I forgot how much I loved that song. Especially the ad libs by 'Jamie Starr' at the end.

905 likes this.
  17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Dance? I was thinking of a different verb.

18. Oh, well, if one can't do that, there ain't no amount of Prince reckids that'll cure that ill! :righton:

Jayseph and CBackley like this.
  19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I always thought the second disc was a lot weaker than the first. That having been said, if I had to pick the strongest and weakest cuts:

Strongest
    1999 - Duh!
    Little Red Corvette - Not many albums start with two songs this strong.
    Delirious - I always loved this one, about as much as its immediate predecessors. And since it wasn't as big a hit it felt like "my" Prince song.
    Automatic - I don't get people wanting to cut this one - I think it's the strongest cut after the first four. Yeah, it goes on forever but that's the point - it's a 12" dance cut, and a very interesting slice of techno funk. Up thru this point the whole record is like one giant party soundtrack. I think it kinda drifts away from that starting with the next track ("Something In The Water"), unfortunately.

Great Album Cuts
    Let's Pretend We're Married - I've always thought this one would benefit from a single edit. It feels like a funked up New Wave cut that would work better shorter and sharper. But I still love it.
    Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) - Prince goes techno.
    Lady Cab Driver - Awesome funk number. Still feels fresh and unusual, with those Joni chords.
    All The Critics Love U In New York - Amazing track. More Joni chords. An only-Prince cut.

Meh
    D.M.S.R. - It's a decent funk raveup, and his sound is plastered all over it, but it feels less distinctly Prince than the cuts above. I could live without it.
    Free - I used to just skip this one, but the last 5-10 years or so it's finally grown on me. Feels like the prototype for "Purple Rain".
    International Lover - Intentionally cheezy and almost funny enough to pull it off. Like "Free", it's grown on me in recent years - I always used to just skip it, but now I listen to it and chuckle.

Not sure any of the cuts left off are better than these last three, but I don't think the album would be any worse with a couple of them swapped out. But the overall flow might be negatively impacted. I'm guessing that's why some cuts made it and some didn't.

20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

mine turned up this arvo all the way downunder. I have the flu, so going to bed early in participation I will feel better tomorrow so I can go on a listening binge. the box is superb quality but I agree that it is a very tight fit pulling the vinyl out of the box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Amazon US shows 14 copies left.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'm sure I missed it somewhere in this thread but is there a list that has the track lengths listed?

Lance LaSalle and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Who did you order it from? I'm still waiting for the cd version from Importcds.

24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Ahh, found it on Amazon.

25. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Amazon usa.

croquetlawns and Matthew Tate like this.