Netflix: The Irishman - Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci & Harvey Keitel.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 29, 2017.

1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not with her father (though I presume he'd have to be in the room with them at the time), but I would have liked at least one scene with her talking to her sisters. Maybe in place of the scene at the bank?

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Is that really a problem? The film's told from one person's memory through flashbacks. Who's memory is that accurate and linear? I had no problem just going with it.

A lot? I'm stuggling to think of even one. It's an old man reminiscing about his past. That never leads to brevity.

Yeah, that one's a valid issue. I noticed it, certainly, but it ceased to bother me as the film went along.

Sure, but I doubt even he understood his motivation. Even the priest at the end gave up trying to get him to be self-reflective and just asked him if he wanted to pray again.

One thing I will add that did kind of take me out of the film at a few points was the music. It gets kind of tiring to constantly have 1970s scenes with 1950s pop music playing in the background. When I'm watching 'The Irishman' I really shouldn't be reminded of 'Mean Streets.' Marty needs to buy some new old records.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

There are several scenes that convey the exact same plot information.

For instance, "Pesci makes a salad and breaks bad news to DeNiro" and the scene where they eat breakfast the next morning and he says the same thing.

How many times does Scorsese show the daughter reacting to DeNiro in disgust? Once or twice would have gotten the idea across.

Pretty sure there was a 45-minute stretch where characters kept agreeing that somebody better talk some sense into Hoffa....

4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Hey, if the Beatles get back together and want to repeat one of their songs two or three times during a concert of heavenly length, that's okay by me:)

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

The actors were in their late 1970s??!! That is old. Older than Methuselah.

BZync, JackBnimble and Bill like this.
  6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The Beatles knew better and Marty should have too. For me, not using younger actors was a fatal casting error on par with "Godfather III."

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm far from the only critic who has talked about how long and "draggy" The Irishman is.

[quote[Sure, but I doubt even he understood his motivation. Even the priest at the end gave up trying to get him to be self-reflective and just asked him if he wanted to pray again.[/quote]
    The problem there is, you need a character that the audience can understand and empathize with, even if they don't necessarily like him. Sheeran is still a cypher at the end of the movie, and we know very little about him or his rationale for killing so many people. And he ends up penniless and in an old folk's home, so he's clearly not in the lap of luxury.

Many, many of Scorsese's films have been about extremely flawed people who make bad decisions, leading to terrible things happening in their lives. This is an issue he's had for a long time, and while it sometimes works and can make classic films, I'm not convinced Irishman is one of them.

I didn't have a problem with the music at all, though the stereo version of "Sleep Walk" was a weird one. A re-record?

twicks and 93curr like this.
  8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The movie dragged on forever. I'm not gonna watch two hours of stuff telling how this 12 hour movie was made.

Ghostworld and twicks like this.
  9. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

For those that don't like this movie and think it was boring and too long should go watch Silence next. I'm sure you will love it! :righton:

rodrigosanche55, RayS and 93curr like this.
  10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That it took two conversations was kind of the point. The first one was Pesci telling DeNiro that Pacino was going to be whacked and that DeNiro just had to accept it and keep his mouth shut. The second one was Pesci telling DeNiro that he was going to be the one who had to do it. That him killing his friend was the only way that there wouldn't also be a hit put out on him (and quite possibly Pesci as well.) It was a "I have bad news and even worse news" situation and Pesci decided to just give him the bad news first and wait to see how he reacted. The implication was that if DeNiro didn't do exactly as he was told and fall in line with the first bit of bad news, if he showed any loyalty to Hoffa instead of the mob, Pesci would probably have had to whack DeNiro to prove his own loyalty to the mob.

pablo fanques, D-rock, Plan9 and 10 others like this.
  11. palisantrancho

Roma was also a Netflix film and received 10 Oscar nominations, won best director, and was a foreign film! I don't think the Irishman will be slighted. The Academy awards has been pretty weak for years. This will be the most exciting in a long time if The Irishman dominates the nominations. I predict wins in most of the major categories. Director, Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor.

I'm guessing De Niro for best actor and Pacino for supporting, but that leaves out Pesci? Not sure how they decide who is the lead. It could be Pacino or De Niro.

Didn't Green Book win last year? That was like a Hallmark channel film compared to this. The Irishman is superior in every way. Green Book wasn't terrible, but was in no way an Oscar worthy film, in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  12. I think it’ll get only supporting for Pesci. Joke will probably get actor. Maybe director.

But Once Upon Hollywood or Jo Jo Rabbit will get best film and either could get director as well. I think Brad and Leonardo were better than DiNiro and Pacino. and Phoenix over them all.

13. palisantrancho

Interesting take, but I disagree. I at least think Pacino for best supporting, Marty for Director, and Irishman for best picture.

I also think Pacino is one of the best performances I have seen this year. I liked it far more than Brad Pitt. Leonardo was good though. He could probably get best actor over De Niro. I haven't seen Joker, but that didn't get very good reviews from critics and from others I know who have seen it.

We also can't forget Dafoe and The Lighthouse. This is shaping up to be a pretty good year for Oscar worthy films.

14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Hold on, I forgot the ensuing scene where they drive to the airfield and Pesci explains it all again.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I doubt one person in 100, 000 would have caught that. I know I didn' t
    I salute you , sir !

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

a lot of the pull is having this cast though. I don't know.....a little young face/old body weirdness is a small sacrifice to see deniro/pesci/pacino/keitel round the bases one last time in peak roles….and I don't think younger cast for the young versions would've worked....they age throughout.....its not like we cut from 20 to 60....

17. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Scorsese amusingly pointed this out himslef in The Irishman sit-down talk held at the NYFF (video below at 19:03 in)

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The technology and artistry behind it is fascinating, but I concede it's something only die hard buffs would care about.

a customer likes this.
  19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

pesci is definitely what you expect here

Matt Richardson likes this.
  20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I look forward to the hopefully inevitable deluxe BluRay edition with at least one bonus disc full of hours of additional material. You guys pick up the new Kino BluRay of 'Kundun' yet? That thing is jam-packed!! I'm hoping for similar treatment here.

21. trd

trd Forum Resident

I did. Saw in the theater even. I still think The Irishman was 45 minutes too long, and I saw it on my couch

twicks and palisantrancho like this.
  22. palisantrancho

I also watched Silence in the theater and I liked it. I loved The Irishman and wish I would have watched it in the theater. I loved every minute so much I’m watching it again tonight. I still haven’t rewatched Silence, but now I would like to.

I do believe Silence was about 45 minutes shorter. I don’t think there are many Netflix viewers who hated The Irishman that would love Silence.

rodrigosanche55 and trd like this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It’s likely the music the characters themselves listened to, drank to, and ate to. There weren’t any other cultural signifiers to tell us what decade we were in either, except for the stuff with the Kennedys or Nixon that figured into the plot. I think the music went a long way in insulating us into the world of the story.

pablo fanques likes this.
  24. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

i hope that this hasn't been asked or answered, but does anyone know the make of the large sedan Deniro was driving in the first 45 minutes or so of the movie?

25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

That's what she said:agree:.

pablo fanques likes this.