"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Most everyone does.

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I was thinking non-native speaker, too.

Ironically, Consequence of Sound's copy used to look like this. Despite good press from 'em, I stopped sending my stuff their way because I, too, am a grammar snob and good press from functional illiterates was just kind of a bummer. Now look at 'em--I'm defending their work! -E

czeskleba likes this.
  3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Since spelling, punctuation, and grammar slams are not allowed against your fellow forum members, may I suggest you go easy on other outlets as well?

At least stop short of hyperbole such as "functional illiterates" or mean spirited analogies such as "like it was written by a junior-high student who is quite weak on basic grammar but really likes to misuse his thesaurus".

The potential for thread derailment is sky high.

Bomber1 likes this.
  4. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Posting this live clip of Ball and Chain recorded 10/13/19 from the Hollywood Bowl.

I spotted Pete playing a previously unseen Sunburst Fender Stratocaster, modified with Gibson style pick-ups

jeremylr and Bomber1 like this.
  6. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

I'm glad that PT provided a epic 'synth moment' which is on 'Street Song' All these songs sound like they could be from different Who LP's. A great idea which is unique to 'WHO" just a few days left for everyone. I think Who store is shipping early as are a few retailers.

J_D__ and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

8. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I think everything I’ve heard so far really sounds really modern, right down to the “auto-tune” effects on some of Pete’s background vocals, which befits the Moddest of Mod bands.

9. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Any 30-45 second samples, or anything else coming, pre release.

I notice official Youtube WHO channel has a 4th video-audio marked private.

10. johnny moondog 909

Yeah ! Personally I dislike autotune as a vocal effect, over compression, all these modern jib jabs....ideas....but The WHO are in a nearly unique position, to get away with a bit of it.....thankfully all reports indicate the album only has a little of that.

11. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Mate, it's only four days away! Relax and enjoy the anticipation.

12. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Yes..that's where song #4 will be unleashed eventually.

13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m thinking The Stones have released more albums in total then The Who and Paul McCartney put together.

14. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I didn't know about this! Looks great!

He started writing an autobiography shortly before he passed away (I believe like a few days before). You can find at least part of it online. It's hilarious. It's really a shame that he didn't live long enough to complete it. I think had he had the opportunity, it would have ranked up there with Nick Mason's autobiography for me.

15. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

If you count all albums (live, compilation, etc.), possibly. Just counting studio output, not even close.

16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

‘That’s good news. Can’t wait to hear it!

Herman Schultz and Bomber1 like this.
  17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I was thinking core albums. The Who release a greatest hits about every other year.

18. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

I will put The Who's number of compilation LP's up against anyone! :righton:

19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I'm with you on that. (Thanks to ABKCO, The Stones do too! ;))

Just studio:
    Stones: 23 albums (or 25, if using the American discography)
    McCartney: 25 albums
    The Who: 12 albums

20. johnny moondog 909

Only 4 days ! Thats 192 episodes of Fawlty Towers...or 32 times watching the new Scorsese movie... or individual preperation for 400 Falafel sandwiches, or playing Endless Wire 97 times, or half the monarch butterflies northward journey, or a complete battle of Gettysburg......four days !

I know your just trying to help Shoeshine. Thanks, just slip me Detour !

By the way personal update.....after reading....I dunno 27 reviews or however many....& "NOT" taking into account, how the album sounds/feels as One Big homogenous whole entity....but just songwise....from what i've gleaned, interpreted, heard or surmised

TOP TIER----Classic WHO
    1-All This Music Must Fade-strong single
    2-Ball & Chain--hard bluesy with orchstra
    3-Don't Wanna Get Wise-catchy satirical
    4-DETOUR--shades of early Who mag Bus
    5-Hero Ground Zero--big orchestra Quad
    6-Street Song--vintage rock but political
    7-Rockin In Rage-vintage big rock number
    8-She Rocked My World -big ballad closer

Unknown Tier...
    1-I'll Be Back-Pete sung ballad less Wholike, long over 5 min. Has catchy harmonica & vocoder or autotune, compared to 70s style Stevie Wonder

2-Break The News-Simon's contribution..with the Ox gone, & like Zak, a 20+ year veteran of the Modern WHO, if anybody else is entitled to write one it's Simon...supposedly top notch, melodic less hard rock, possibly less WHO sounding but good.

3-Beads On 1 String...Pete's lone cowrite-( w/ G. Gilstrap ) mellower tune, possibly less textbook WHO, melodic....

4-This Gun Will Misfire--Pete sings lead, supposedly WHOlike, political, with 60s psychadelic overdubs & vibes...harder rock from what I read...bonus track, I suspect Zak might be drumming

5--Danny & My Ponies...Pete sung, folky sounding bonus track....no idea if it's just guitar voice or has a band arrangement, not mentioned in much detail in ANY of the reviews...this could be anything, no one has described it..

TIER 3....THE 60S DEMOS---with modern overdubs... both sung by Pete.....literally Pete's 65-66 home demos....cleaned up with modern technology & new parts added..

1-SAND...Pete Sings....this is a cool poppy slightly zany tune, from the Happy Jack, Quick one period....Pete added new guitar on his Rickenbacker elec 12 string ( The Byrds-Beatles guitar ) & added several backround vocal tracks.....& said he tried to duplicate what the early WHO would've done, but not one review explains or mentions if there are drums or bass or a big arrangement...

2-the other 65-66 demo...can't remember the song title...Pete again sings lead...,& they added big horns, that remind Pete of Tom Jones 60's hit Delilah...again Not One Reviewer even mentions or describes, if the record has bass or drums or what........for me personally ( impossible to say without hearing ) maybe these last 2 will sound best as A Quick One bonus tracks...

So guessing & handicapping , worst case scenario 8 new top tier classic Who tracks !!! Best case 15 !!!! I dig the WHO, & I dig what i've heard of Sardy's production help...I try & like all their stuff...I didin't really dig In The Ether or a couple others on Endless Wire, but so what !!!

I'm tending to agree ( much as someone can ) without hearing all of it....best WHO album since Who By Numbers, & potentially since Quadrophenia !!!

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Haha.

No band will top The Beach Boys. They have released hundreds of compilations and appear on thousands of VA releases.

The Beach Boys

The Beach Boys

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  22. johnny moondog 909

Before 6th...Say Yes Say Yes Say Yes !!

Bomber, please explain if either or both the 65-66 demos, Sand & the other one, do they have bass or drums or what's the story on the type of instrumentation etc thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  23. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

I think from whats out there that pretty much everyone knows they are not 'untouched' I'll leave it there.

24. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Solo I would throw Elvis in there. I love him. I wish Sony and Warner would get together and put out the many concerts they filmed in the 70's. of course The Who have video work coming in the future. Not until after all of this activity though. Back burner.

25. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

The Who intend to return to Cincinnati. Likely in 2020

Herman Schultz, J_D__ and MPLRecords like this.