Finest McIntosh/JBL combination you ever heard?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I came to the conclusion that Mac/JBL combo is so classic and so right in it's sound that I need to built one for at least 1 of my 2 rooms. What's the finest Mac/JBL combination you ever heard?

kt66brooklyn and Monty12 like this.
  2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

JBL speakers? Great sound? Are you kidding?

csgreene, jmpsmash and VinylSoul like this.
  3. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

That's seems unnecessary and inappropriate...
    To each their own I suppose...

Spy Car, CoryG85, poe_man and 13 others like this.
  4. antonkk

Well, there are people like me who like or even love the vintage JBL sound. Imagine that.

Jimijam, izeek, DougT and 8 others like this.
  5. Interesting combo. I’ve heard many JBL Systems. I’ve heard many McIntosh Systems.

Can’t think of a single time I’ve heard then paired.....

Could work well together under the right conditions. I kind of like the really BIG JBL’s, but only when matched with good source and Amplification, especially on Jazz. Some R&R as well.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Always like the sound of the Everest's. But never had $60.000USD to spend on speakers.

7. antonkk

I always though Mac/JBL is THE classic combo. I had wonderful results with 6900 driving L150 as well as 452 driving 250 Ti's. The tonality, the midrange, the bass - everything was incredible.

8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Big JBL with a reissue of the MC-240 and the tube preamp( c-22 new model-model number?). Great vintage-style sound.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  9. Wingtip

Wingtip Forum Resident

I've had a McIntosh MA-6600 integrated pushing a set of immaculate JBL L-300 in my living room for a few years now, and it sounds pretty good to me. I was inspired by the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound to try this combo and I think the synergy is there, though I am considering a Pass Labs amp next.

10. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

I resurrected my high school bass rig for a few gigs: MC2105 (glass long gone) and two cabs with a K140 for the neck pickup and a K120 for the bridge pickup. Sounded amazing and pushed the amp a lot less than my Crest Prolite 3.o seems need for the same impact.

[​IMG]

Morbius likes this.
  11. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Not familiar with mc, however if you get a JBL with 15" woofer and horn mid/ high will put many high end speakers to shame.

kt66brooklyn, tom1040 and Monty12 like this.
  12. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

JBL 4425 Monitor + Mc2155 = Good !
    JBL 4430 Monitor + Mc2255 = Good !
    JBL DD55000 Everest + Mc2255 = Very Good !!
    JBL DD55000 Everest + Mc275 = Very Good !!
    other better examples :
    JBL 4425 Monitor + Urei 6260 = Very Good !!
    JBL 4430 Monitor + Phase Linear 400 = Amazing !!!
    JBL 4435 Monitor + Phase Linear 400 = WHAOOO !!!!!

the heavy 15" JBL bass speaker like 2235H needs high Damping Factor which Mc Amps do not have.

kt66brooklyn, Monty12 and Balthazar like this.
  13. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I wish I would’ve discovered them earlier, instead of wasting so much time on pretentious boutique brands that are completely overrated. Most speakers nowadays have sucked all of the fun out of the hobby.

Jimijam, bill44, russk and 14 others like this.
  14. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Mac MC40 monoblocks with HeathKit AS101's, basically Altec Valencias in nicer cabinets. A match made in heaven. Horns and tubes are made for each other.

BillWojo

15. antonkk

Exactly. I had a funny story - dragged the 250 Ti's out of my second room for a quick shoot out between my current B&W 800 Diamonds and them. The B&W's went on sale 15 minutes later.

16. Fruff76

I used to have an MC-402. I’d love to hear that with my JBL’s.

Monty12 and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  17. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

I dunno, I used a 402 with L300's and L150's, and TBH it sounded not much different than a 1977 Marantz 2285 amp using main in from the same preamp that the 402 used. The 402 had more power though when you cranked it of course.

Fruff76 likes this.
  18. Fruff76

Then I’ll stick with my $450 Adcom

19. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Spoken like someone who has heard maybe one JBL, if that, and likely an L100! :uhhuh:

I've had my pair of L112s hooked to a Mac C20 with Crown D150 amp ever since they were new. The Mac used to be hooked to my JBL 030 (15-inch 2-ways) with a Fisher SA1000, but my main system now is a pair of JBL 4345s and the 18-inch woofers work very well with my bi-amp Crown PS400 and PS200. Can't tell you about Mac power amps and JBLs but I love the Wall of Sound reference! Must be because I grew up in St. Louis where Bob Heil debuted his Wall of Sound for the Dead.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I listen to JBL and McIntosh often when working. McIntosh MC 2100 or MC 2105 power amplifiers, JBL 4311B loudspeakers, most every broadcast control room I maintain and operate is so equipped. The company standard.

sberger and jmpsmash like this.
  21. tom1040

tom1040 Forum Resident

Started with JBL S2600 horn loaded speakers from about 1995 with MC402---loved this combo. Sold off the S2600 for 1400 Arrays--MC402 struggled with the bass response so purchased Marantz MA9S2---perfect! Second system had JBL 4365's with MC601's--sounded ok--currently using Marantz PM-10/SA-10.

22. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

My McIntosh/Pro JBL bi amped 3 way system I described in some of my early posts.

23. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

OK...mine.

MAC7200+MCT-450+JBL4429 = Fantastic pairing.

[​IMG]Entertainment by , on Flickr

24. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I utilize a Mac 1700 with JBL L166's in one of my systems. 4311's in that room prior to that.
    Quite pleasing to my ears.

McLover likes this.
  25. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

This was my system few (a-hem) years ago... MA 6900 and 4311 Studio Monitor. Not the very finest McIntosh-JBL combination on earth, but I could get some satisfaction then and there. Oh yeah.

[​IMG]

searing75, CoryG85, Morbius and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.