Film genres you don’t like?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Don’t like court room dramas.
    ( ok 12 angry Men ..will suffice:))

Sports genre films( American sports )

Racing cars Le Mans etc

Modern musicals.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Damiano54, Grand_Ennui and mradmack like this.
  2. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Vampires, Zombies.

jerol

3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't necessarily hate romantic dramas ( I love classic ones), but I hate what are commonly called "chick flicks"

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Most musicals, modern or otherwise, do little for me. I like a very few classic musicals, but even then I find most scenes where people suddenly burst into song and dance cringeworthy.

With very few exceptions, I have no interest in superhero/comic book films.

Likewise, anime. I like some old school, hand-drawn animation, but the modern stuff — schoolgirls with eyes the size of beach balls, dressed in sailor outfits — is not for me.

Most sports films.

5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Those Merchant-Ivory type costume period pieces about upper-class Europeans.

KeninDC, Grand_Ennui and alexpop like this.
  6. Gollum

Gollum Forum Resident

The recent "Knives Out" reminded me of why I don't like "whodunits". A pointlessly complicated plot about characters I don't care anything about. I seem to be in the minority, the "Knives Out" crowd seemed to enjoy it.
    There must be some good ones, maybe Agatha Christie? I just haven't seen any I've liked.

agaraffa and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

The dreaded chick flick.:agree:

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree with all of this, except I like sports films that aren't about baseball.

The whole superhero, marvel, dc, and similar is just anathema to me. Also the modern takes on "sword and sorcery" type things with wizards, and trolls, and spells, and magical lands, etc - can't stand this stuff - I'm not 13 anymore and I no longer smoke pot.

9. alexpop

Giving “ likes “ here out of courtesy, though don’t agree with some opinions.

Please continue.:righton:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I almost mentioned the fantasy genre myself. I love what Peter Jackson did with The Lord of the Rings (although I hated the source books), but I’m struggling to think of another film in that vein that I like.

11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

There are a lot of good films based on Agatha Christie and other mystery writers. When I'm in the mood, Miss Marple is very charming and fun. Not a favorite genre by any means, but sometimes I like them.

Gollum likes this.
  12. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Remake of remake ... of classic

13. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Remakes of classics where all the parts are gender-swapped without any care of adjusting the screenplay or *gush* actually coming up with fresh ideas ("Ghostbusters"; "Ocean's 8"). Instead, every line has to stress how this is a gender-swapped movie with "strong" female leads who sadly don't get to show any strength, instead dipping deep into lame clichés and camp (enter Melissa McCarthy). Is it so hard to make a good movie with believable, fleshed-out female leads in Hollywood? Really??

Brian Mc, KAJ1971, realkilroy and 6 others like this.
  14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Musicals-It is not normal to break out in Song & Dance doing every day typical life things. If I was Gay, I would still Hate Musicals. A few Years ago, I tried to watch 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' when it was playing on TV, but just hated it. Wanted to give it a chance, since I keep reading how popular is was back in the day.

Also, even though off topic of Movies(but related to the Musical Genre), I could not stand to watch the TV Series, 'Glee' when I would just see the TV Adverts and how some of my Favorite Songs got ruined, although I already hate Journey, so they could do what they wanted to singing their Songs.

Also, do not like most Chick Flicks, with a few exceptions like 'The Wedding Singer'(if that is considered a Chick Flick), but Adam Sandler made it tolerable, where I like some of his Movies, but not all of them, with 'The Waterboy' being one of his Best Comedy Movies-IMO.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You are missing out on some Great Movies, if you have not seen, 'Raging Bull'(one of Scorsese's Best Movies-IMO), 'Rocky'(The Ultimate Underdog Story), 'Hoosiers'(Basketball Version of 'Rocky' with Great Acting by Gene Hackman-think that is his Name and Dennis Hopper) and 'Rudy' was a good underdog movie about a kid's dream to play for Notre Dame as a Walk On, although based on a True Story, played loose with the facts for Dramatic Effect.

Although, I am not into Baseball much, thought 'The Natural' starring Robert Redford was good. 'The Sandlot' was a good Kids Baseball Movie. 'Tin Cup' was a decent Golf Movie.

I have not seen 'Ford versus Ferrari' yet, but looks good.

Then for Comedies there are 'Cool Runnings'(about the Jamaican Men's Bobsled Team), 'Slapshot'(Funny even if you do not like Hockey), 'The Waterboy'(Mama don't want her Son, Bobby Boucher playing that Foosball), 'Dodgeball' and 'Happy Gilmore'. Forget the names of the 2 Will Ferrell Comedy Movies on Ice Skating and NASCAR Racing, but they were funny.

Need a Good Soccer Movie(I had not seen 'Bend it Like Beckham' so not sure if it was good). I saw the ESPN 30 for 30 Films on Soccer, 'The Two Escobars' and the one on the Liverpool Tragedy of Fans dying from Overcrowding that were both Excellent(I happen to be a Liverpool Supporter, as chose them for the stupid reason that I love Echo & the Bunnymen, who are from there, and Manchester has had a lot of Great Music Artists). Most of the ESPN Films(way past 30 for 30 now) are Excellent Documentaries.

Steve Carras and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

Baseball
    American football
    Golf
    Pass on these.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Marvel Comics/Superheroes
    Musicals

Crungy, Larry Mc, GodShifter and 2 others like this.
  18. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Horror is my least favorite genre, followed by musicals.

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Musicals for the most part.

Larry Mc likes this.
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

superhero

Grant and Tim S like this.
  21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Romantic-comedies
    "Harry Potter" type films
    Not really big on mysteries either, but wouldn't totally rule them out
    Anything with Jennifer Aniston

alexpop likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

^^^ This ^^^

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I cannot stand musicals. I absolutely hate them. Everything else is on a case by case basis in terms of genres, but, overall, not a big fan of the over the top action movies like "The Fast and Furious" franchise or anything Adam Sandler is involved in these days.

Crungy and All Down The Line like this.
  24. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Sword and sorcery/gladiator/costume epic type things.
    Most mafia/gangster films although there are some exceptions.

Grant likes this.
  25. I can’t think of a single genre without at least some movies that I like contained within. Sorry

jkauff, polchik, CDFanatic and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.