Knives Out (Thanksgiving 2019) Old School "Who done it" with a twist...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Simon A, Sep 9, 2019.

1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Okay - I see your point there! And it was humorous.

SBurke likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You’re thinking of Fran finding him in the morning. Marta actually sees him do it.

3. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

No, I was not referring to Fran.

Marta is at the entrance of the room and the camera jump cuts to Harlan just lying there on the couch. If she saw Harlan in the act of cutting his throat she would've screamed or tried to stop him. That's what I saw in the movie, Marta just staring at the deceased Harlan.
    Fran witnessed Ransom messing with Marta's medical bag but I'm still not sure if he was switching back the labels on the Morphine bottles or doing something else to cover his tracks, another confusing detail later explained in the movie I'm still not sure about.

4. Squealy

Nope... Marta does see it. You’re mixing up what she sees with what Fran sees at the beginning of the movie.

5. Tim Lookingbill

Nope, I disagree.

6. Squealy

As SBurke said, that's how she
    gets the blood on her shoe -- because she's in the doorway when he cuts his own throat and the blood spatters on her. Even though it seems like she would have been too far away.

7. Tim Lookingbill

You're kidding, right?
    How does blood fly from across the room to the doorway where Marta was standing?

8. Squealy

Sigh... go back and watch the movie again. I promise you that’s what happens. Here's a link to the entire plot of the movie:

KNIVES OUT

That night, when she goes home, she watches a TV program in Spanish with her mother. She then recalls what happened after she left Harlan’s study. After leaving the first time, she goes back into the study to tell Harlan she’s changed her mind, only to find him lying on the couch with a knife held to his own neck. She pleads with him, but he only assures her that everything will be all right, before slitting his own throat. She gasps in horror and covers her mouth to stifle a scream, then rushes out of the study again. She pauses at the landing to cry, then pulls herself together. She’s going to get through this for her mother.

Back at home, Marta holds her mother’s hand tightly. The camera pans down her leg, which she often fidgets in anxiety, to focus on her white sneaker, which she wears throughout the movie. There is a tiny drop of blood in between the shoelaces when she witnessed Harlan slit his own throat.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  9. Tim Lookingbill

Ok, I do have Alzheimers. I forgot that sequence you outlined. I still can't remember enough of the movie now to distinguish flashbacks (that explain past events) vs events happening as they unfold. I guess I'll have to get the Blu Ray.

Oh, and thanks for the condescending 'sigh'. Very un-Canadian, don't you think.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  10. underthecovers

underthecovers Well-Known Member

luke skywalker is the killer

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  11. I thought the movie was quite good and kept entertainment all the way through.

Simon A likes this.
  12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

And here you had me questioning my own possible dementia from our conversation a few posts up. :)

13. Tim Lookingbill

I strive to keep everyone guessing. It's how I get folks to stay tuned so they can correct me when I'm wrong. At least I'm honest about being wrong about something and make the effort to correct myself, and yet I'm still not sure I fully understand what happened in the movie in the first place.

The movie is quickly fading in my memory...now where's my green jello?! I must have my green jello!

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  14. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Correct on all counts. Saw it last night. Only complaint was the theatre was cold!

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  15. debased

debased Senior Member

The biggest mystery in this film was the use of....

Sweet Virginia in the end credits. How does that song relate in any way to the story or characters? It must have cost a bundle to use it.

Tim Lookingbill and AppleCorp3 like this.
  16. Tim Lookingbill

That's the first I heard that song and had to look it up because I liked it. It made me stick around thinking their might be some kind of hint to a sequel after the credits. I won't say one way or the other obviously.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just got back from seeing this. I haven't had this much fun at a movie like this in a long time. Keeps you guessing and when you think you have it figured out, you find out you are wrong. Every 10 minutes, I kept changing my mind on what really happened. Even after I figured out who the real "bad" person was, there were still twists happening regarding how and why. The family in this movie reminded me of the family from a '90s movie starring Kirk Douglas, Michael J Fox and Phil Hartman called "Greedy".

Simon A, mrjinks and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

"Sister Morphine" would've been a better Rolling Stones song to use instead of "Sweet Virginia".

19. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I'm seeing this one today regardless of the stupid snow storm. I'm excited!!

Simon A and AppleCorp3 like this.
  20. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Maybe Sweet Virginia was chosen because of the line in the chorus

Got to scrape the s*** right off your shoes

MrTrickle, marmalade166 and willwin like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Brilliant.
    Thoroughly entertained.
    Most enjoyable Daniel Craig appearance.

So that’s four films I rate so far in 2019.

Hollywood
    Endgame
    Irishman
    Knives Out

David Campbell likes this.
  22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

What about Pain and Glory? Banderas deserves the Oscar just for that one thing he does in the last 15 minutes. :D

23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I saw this yesterday and loved it. It instantly became one of my favorites of the year. The fast pace, smart writing, and great ensemble cast all came together perfectly for a thrilling, thoroughly engrossing film. I was surprised to see that there was a political/humanitarian message at the core of the movie. It didn’t feel shoehorned or preachy at all (although that political argument scene wasn’t exactly subtle) and only served to enhance the film and its themes, all without impeding on its sense of fun. I thought the whole thing was a very effective update of the “whodunnit” formula that did a great job of making it feel modern, fresh, and relevant in 2019.

Simon A, Chris DeVoe and mrjinks like this.
  24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

A fun movie. Thoroughly entertaining. I found Daniel Craig’s faux Kentucky accent a bit grating, and I’m not sure he deserves the Golden Globes nod, but there you go. Decent plot, some nice twists, and a clever, modern version of some of the old Agatha Christie style murder mysteries - lovely old pile in the country, rich old guy dies after a birthday celebration with the family bad guys. Get the Cluedo set out....If you just want a couple of hours of enjoyable hokum, go for it. Sequel apparently on its way....

25. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

"Knives Sheathed"?