Do you count non physical product that are in your streaming library as part of "your collection"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

If your streaming library consists of uploaded physical copies of cds as well as albums you never purchased but added to your library from the streaming service, do you count them equally as being part of your album collection?

Electric Sydney likes this.
  2. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

No. They don’t feel like actual property. I count the tangible albums...

3. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

No.

melstapler likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

To paraphrase TheWho
    See It
    Feel It
    Touch It

Later on you can SELL it.

clhboa, melstapler, tin ears and 12 others like this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Okay, what if your a teen or young adult that owns no cds? Your collection is all albums you added to your library from say Apple Music, Spotify etc? Is it "your" library, as it says on the site?

aravel likes this.
  6. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

yes it is your "library", but it isn't a collection

7. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

No

melstapler likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You borrow from library. It's not your collection. I the case of Spotify, you pay dues for access to the library.

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Digital copies that I have locally, yeah but not included with my physical collection.

You can't control when music gets pulled from a streaming service though you can keep anything local for as long as your storage isn't dead/you make backups.

10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

No. If it's not on the shelf then it's not on the list.

melstapler, tin ears, Deek57 and 4 others like this.
  11. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

In short: if I own it - then it counts. If I rent it - then it does not count.

If it is something I own - regardless of format - such as CD or LP or digital download from HD tracks or a digital download from an artist website, I count it as part of my collection or library.

If it is something that is in my “playlist” or “library” on a subscription based service, I do not count it. I have no control over this material and at any time the album can be updated with a different mastering, it can be edited, the service can loose rights to the album and it can be removed, etc

Maybe it is an old fashioned view - but in my mind it is the distinction between a personal library (owned collection) and a public library (borrowed/rented collection). I have a hard time imagining someone treating a library book the same as a book they own.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    vinnn, mraulino, LeBon Bush and 20 others like this.
  12. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

No. If I can't hold it, it's not mine.

There may be an exception to downloads you buy (i.e. Bruce Springsteen live releases). If you upload them to a hard drive, you can, well, hold the hard drive.

jdrueke, Uncle Miles, ccbarr and 2 others like this.
  13. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

14. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

No, but I count files on my hard drive (like downloads).

PineBark, SRC, riskylogic and 9 others like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No. If I don't possess it and am able to have my way with it, then, no, it's not part of my collection.

16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

17. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Lowat NO and no.

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

No. I only use streaming for playlists and quite often songs just disappear, so you can’t rely on them being there next time to go to play them.:)

19. Price.pittsburgh

Just curious, how many of you guys actually do pay for a streaming service and add albums to your library?

Michael likes this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I have Spotify, however I don't add albums to my library. I like keeping things separate, so I have my Spotify with playlists, added albums, etc. basically its own library contained within the app. And separate from that I have my personal iTunes library that I use to sync with my iPod and add to

I don't consider my Spotify library to be my "collection", however I do count my iTunes library as my collection since I purchased and own those files

21. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Nope. If I don't have a physical copy then I don't consider it part of 'my' collection.

It's not just about the monetary value, but I figure I can't sell bought downloads (of which I have very few anyway) or Tidal downloads (which are mostly just for portable use anyway - either a) things I'm interested in buying but want to listen to first, b) new records I've bought but haven't collected from store / put through cleaning machine yet, c) things I don't have download codes for (vinyl) or haven't been bothered to rip (cd)).

It takes long enough keeping my Discogs collection up to date with physical stuff........

melstapler and blastfurniss like this.
  22. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I do. But I don't consider ANYTHING on Spotify to be mine. Just rented music.

23. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

The ultimate tool to direct me to a possible addition to my collection.

Murph and NunoBento like this.
  24. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

No. If I like something enough I always end up buying a CD or vinyl. If something is truly impossible to find, or as a stopgap, I might buy high-res download as an alternative, and keep the files in a safe place.

What I do like about the streaming services is that they have made some hard-to-find albums available again, many that will never get a physical reissue e.g. Japanese City Pop.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  25. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

My collection is either in my cd cabinet or on my server. Anything streaming in from outside my walls is considered radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.