Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

that’s from the 2nd night. All of which has been bootlegged

Matthew Tate, James RD and hiterss like this.
  2. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

Did not know that, thanks

Matthew Tate and Jerry c. like this.
  3. ARK, ti-triodes, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  4. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Aw, shucks. That Forum show was my first rock concert and was on my birthday. I was deeply affected by Clapton’s blue satin pants. They looked from another world.

5. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Not if you want reviews to hit January music mags

6. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Well, they may have recorded more shows along the tour. At least, there is also a complete soundboard recording in circulation from Oct 25 at the Dallas Memorial Auditorium...

7. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Really? I know there is a great audience recording that was made from the photo pit, but not aware of a soundboard. Does it circulate?

8. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Well, at least my source claimed it was an SB recording. It does sound pretty good but it may indeed be that audience-taped recording you mention.

9. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Luke: not surprised at this news or doubting you for a moment, but is this verified info?

Cheers.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Not necessarily - there could always be rights issue with the filming crew (similar to Hendrix at RAH) or the tapes may have been lost (similar to the fate of original film reels for this concert).

When Cream reformed in 2005, there were rumors that the few original unedited reels of the Farewell concert film were found. Ended up being nothing but wishful thinking.......that film is such a lost opportunity!

11. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I don't know. I have the Empress Valley boot which certainly sounds great to me but this forthcoming Universal set will be fine I'm sure. Bill Levenson is listed as producer and he certainly knows Cream and that era way better than me. Price seems ok in the UK as well. As a fan I hope it does well and tempts Universal back into doing something with Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire.

12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I think this set will have 4 drum solos for Mrs Torch. An enterprising person at Universal would put out a vinyl double album with all 4 one per side for 2020 RSD.

ARK, Matthew Tate and Tommyboy like this.
  13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Universal... I hope these tapes were not lost in the fire.

Matthew Tate and Flaming Torch like this.
  14. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

As I posted already upthreat, I guess that boot box must have been the inspiration - or "wake up call" for this new release. Heck, even some pictures are the same!
    The boot box though came with diginoise on the last three tracks of the 10/19 LA Forum show and the RAH show of course is only the circulating audience recording. Hence, I take it that the powers-that-be behind the official box saw how great the idea of that farewell tour box was and at the same time imagined how easily they could top that and beat that bootleg at its own game. :righton:

15. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

For the sake of my own memory-challenged sanity I made a list of the sources for the officially released live tracks prior to this release. Thought it might be helpful to share?

1968 Mar 07 San Francisco Fillmore Auditorium

Rollin & Tumblin (LC/ TWTD)
    Toad (WOF)
    Toad -partial (TWTD)
    Sunshine of Your Love - on 1988 After Midnight maxi single and 2014 Japanese "Wheels of Fire" edition.

1968 Mar 08 San Francisco Winterland Ballroom
    Traintime (WOF/ TWTD)
    Toad -partial (TWTD)

1968 Mar 09 San Francisco Winterland Ballroom

NSU (TWTD)
    Sleepy Time Time (LC / TWTD)
    Sunshine of Your Love (LC vol2/ TWTD)

1968 Mar 10 San Francisco Winterland Ballroom
    NSU (LC)
    Steppin Out (LC vol2/ TWTD)
    Tales of Brave Ulysses (LC vol2/ TWTD)
    Spoonful (WOF/ TWTD)
    Crossroads (WOF/ TWTD)
    Sweet Wine (LC/ TWTD)

1968 Oct 04 Oakland Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum

White Room (LC vol2/ TWTD)
    Politician (LC vol2/ TWTD)
    Deserted Cities of the Heart (LC vol2/ TWTD)

1968 Oct 19 Inglewood The Forum
    I’m so Glad (Gb/ TWTD)
    Sittin on Top Of The World (Gb/ TWTD)
    Politician (Gb)
    Spoonful (Li12B)

(hope the acronyms are obvious.
    TWTD = Those Were The Days box set
    Li12B = LIfe in 12 Bars EC collection)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The Those Were The Days set offered major upgrades for the two LA tracks on Goodbye and three Oakland tracks on Live Cream II. The original album versions are what they are and I keep them as part of the album's integrity, but hopefully this new set will make the upgraded versions redundant.

My first Cream purchases were Goodbye, Live Cream and II. When I got Those Were The Days later that same year, I only ripped some of the tracks and it wasn't for many more months that I learned those five tracks were not the original album mixes. :magoo:

After the clear improvements and upgrades of BBC material featured on the Fresh Cream deluxe, it would have been great to get a Disraeli Gears set with the remaining BBC material getting the same treatment. Added points if they threw in a few more demos (Take It Back and Blue Condition from the first session). Wheels Of Fire I guess could have taken on the same tracks as the SHM set (Anyone For Tennis, Falstaff Beer, NSU live alternate, and Sunshine Of Your Love.) Add in Sunshine from the Glen Campbell show, include both the long and short versions of Passing The Time, and get the alternate mixes of Sitting On Top Of The World and As You Said.

But the draw of Fresh Cream was that it offered a lot of new material. Ditto with this new set.

17. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Cool and very helpful, indeed!
    Addenda:
    1968 Mar 07 San Francisco Fillmore Auditorium
    Sunshine of Your Love - on 1988 After Midnight maxi single and 2014 Japanese "Wheels of Fire" edition.

18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

@penguinzzz quick while you can still edit your post: Sunshine Of Your Love from the After Midnight maxi-single from the Fillmore Auditorium!

edit:

@Dondy err... great minds, huh? :D

19. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

thanks - done!

20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have all of the first 3 cd's on boots except for 2 cuts.
    I have Albert Hall too but edited and likely just a film dub so this may be intriguing!

Matthew Tate and wavethatflag like this.
  21. All Down The Line

I believe that Sunshine cut was also on a 1992 Westwood One radio sampler.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’d wait 2 days on line outside my record store to get my grubby little hands on that baby!

ARK, Flaming Torch and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Also (in mono) on Ginger Baker’s The Album!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As far as I know the only shows that were recorded were those on the west coast, by Bill Halverson. Remote/mobile recording was still a pretty big endeavor at the time.

As previously posted:

The boot definitely wasn't the inspiration for the idea, which predated the boot by several years.

25. All Down The Line

Looks like Levenson was told to be "Live'r than you'll ever be!"

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.