Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. wilberforce55

wilberforce55 Forum Resident

Listening again, you are right, but I'd think the description of a "tyrant who got the job done" i thought it was a better description for Roger

2. Highlights CD should have been a two disc set like the Early Years. Oh well, what a tease. Looking forward to the whole enchilada!

andrewskyDE and Bill007 like this.
  3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I guess it's only one disc as TLY has about half the audio content as TEY.

RangerXT, zinan, ARK and 8 others like this.
  4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

And Early Years should have been on vinyl as well.

5. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Great podcast, never heard about Gilmour's stage departure in 1977 before... He should write an autobiography!

6. Buran1988

Buran1988 Forum Resident

Nice podcast, and a warm relaxing feeling. However, since this box is aimed mostly at die-hard fans, I'd like to know some real unknown facts: not gossip, not who used to be out of practice... The stage departure is well known, not as much as the famous Waters spit... but every Floydian biography recounts that he didn't show up for the last unplanned encore . I would like to know the story of the norwegian barge, and how the 89 tour came together: it was set up to get economically viable the Moscow concerts... I'm sure a lot of anecdotes could be told. The side effect was the same show being repeated too many times... they probably felt quite trapped, exhausted.

Edit: they (Gilmour and Mason) were even invited to attend a space rocket launch in Bajkonour! (the cosmonauts asked for a cassette copy of DSoT to be taken aboard Mir space station)

7. If you say so. Personally I’m a dyed-in-the-wool CD fanatic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2019
    tommyball, Bill007 and croquetlawns like this.
  8. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

So they didn't really play to a click track, did they? That’s a great surprise to me.

9. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I’d buy that. I don’t think the remix is hideous or anything. It is just not entirely to my tastes. If it comes available outside the box i’ll buy it since it is an interesting variation.

obi and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Just Pushing Play

Just Pushing Play Well-Known Member

Anyone else bummed that the price for the box set didn't drop like a stone over Black Friday?

I had pre-ordered on Amazon UK when it went down to £273, but I'm starting to think I'd be better off cancelling and waiting for it to drop further, IMO it's just too expensive for what it is. I'd much prefer stand alone releases I could choose from, especially when I'm not so keen on the actual design of the set. Urgh decisions!

drum_cas, tommyball, Bill007 and 4 others like this.
  11. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

If the release date was kept at 29/11, it would probably drop to around 200£ (which is how the box should have been priced) but we were unlucky.
    Surely by this time next year, on Black Friday 2020, the box will drop to those numbers. But that's for those who are willing to wait that long.

12. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I was hoping it would have maybe dropped in price over the Black Friday weekend but it never did. I am just waiting it out till it does drop in price before i order it.

13. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

The Official PF store had 20% off on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I wonder if that covered the box set.

14. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I picked up the single cd sampler and spent the weekend comparing the remixes against the originals.

You can read more on my blog review here.

15. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if the price periodically yo-yos down and back up after a couple of months as per The Early Years. You could always use an Amazon price tracking & notification site like camelcamelcamel.com to monitor the price and get an email if it drops below your own personal price threshold.

I’m also on the £272 pre-order price on Amazon, roughly equivalent to the three 2011/2012 box sets, which I’m fine with.

Just Pushing Play likes this.
  16. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Their offers always say that media products are not included. It's just the keyings and t-shirts etc. that the discounts apply to.

NunoBento likes this.
  17. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

St. Troy, StormCloud, phil.jp and 3 others like this.
  18. Brautigan

Brautigan Well-Known Member

Those 4 people in the audience are plants. There's no way people that good looking and young would go to a Pink Floyd concert and be emotionally involved and, what's that? one of them is singing along! Fake news etc o_O

obi likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Apparently at least one store is stocking/selling TLY a week early. Someone posted a photo on the AFG forum of the one they bought.

20. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I can’t afford this box set . With that said, isn’t it likely that individual pieces of the set will be available on EBay?

21. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Hopefully unboxing pics or video won’t be too far behind. Burning with curiosity to see how the box opens (side panel opens? Lid lifts off a la Immersion? Something even more intricate a la TEY?) and how the contents are stored/stacked and presented inside.

rontoon likes this.
  22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I guess they didn't because they would be putting too much on. With the Early Years they could do two discs and not even scratch the surface of that box.

23. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Is this in reference to the bit about Dave knowing to play a particular bit when he saw a particular scene change on Mr. Screen?

St. Troy likes this.
  24. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Except for the DVDs I can't imagine anyone breaking up this set.

zinan, fluxkit and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  25. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Unfortunately I just saw this but it was for last night. Interesting that this mix included songs from Pulse, Venice, Knebworth and TER film.

In celebration of the Deluxe Box Set Release of Pink Floyd The Later Years; Sony Music Canada, Cineplex, and Q107 present an exclusive advance screening of the new 5.1 surround sound, re-edited and upgraded concert film, The Delicate Sound of Thunder plus additional highlights from The Later Years Deluxe Box set release including performances from Pulse, The Venice Concert 1989, The Knebworth Concert 1990 and the Endless River film.

Enter below for your chance to win a pair of tickets to this special screening!