The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

NATHAN DAVIS / THE 6TH SENSE IN THE 11TH HOUSE / SEGUÉ / 1972 / FIRST US STEREO PRESSING SEG-1002 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

6. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

CONCEPTION - Various Artists (Prestige|OJC / Limited Edition Series) CD

A great compilation. The only negative I can think of is the tapes were put through "NONoise reprocessing by Sonic Solutions" before releasing the disc.

The first six tracks on this CD were originally issued on the 1951 Prestige 10" LP

[​IMG]

THE NEW SOUNDS - LEE KONITZ featuring Miles Davis (Prestige) 10" LP

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Bobby Buckshot and JazzcornerND like this.
  8. [​IMG]

HAUNTED HEART - CHARLIE HADEN QUARTET WEST (Verve/Decca/Universal) CD

Recorded in France (1990) and mixed in California. Original CD issued on Gitanes
    the album also features the voices of:
    Jo Stafford singing Haunted Heart in December 1947,
    Jeri Southern singing Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye and playing piano in March 1954,
    Billie Holiday singing Deep Song in February 1947.

Just hearing this fine album for the first time and much to my surprise I am really liking what I hear!

This album was reissued in a single carboard sleeve and included in the CHARLIE HADEN budget box set 5 ORIGINAL ALBUMS

[​IMG]

*5 ORIGINAL ALBUMS box currently selling on Amazon UK for £5.99!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Original...ix=HADEN+5+ORIGINAL+ALBUMS,popular,302&sr=1-1

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

frightwigwam, dZp, charlesp and 4 others like this.
  10. [​IMG]

STEAL AWAY SPIRITUALS, HYMNS AND FOLK SONGS - CHARLIE HADEN | HANK JONES (Verve/Decca/Universal) CD

Charlie Haden (bass) / Hank Jones (piano), recorded in Montreal, Canada in 1994.

First hearing of the second disc from the Charlie Haden 5 ORIIGINAL ALBUMS box and it's another enjoyable listen as the duo play a selection of spirituals, hymns and folk songs in an easy, laid back manner.

11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note Liberty Press Blue White Label BST-84152) 1967 .... recorded September 9th, 1963 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs .... Joe Henderson (ts) + Kenny Dorham (tp) + Andrew Hill (p) + Eddie Khan (b) + Pete La Roca (dr) .... to sum things up : Joe Henderson =YES .... Kenny Dorham =YES .... Joe Henderson + Kenny Dorham =YESSS !! .... a superb cast delivers brilliant results ..... great sounding Blue Note Liberty vinyl press ....

Mark J, Starwanderer, dZp and 10 others like this.
  12. [​IMG] [​IMG]

STAN GETZ PRESENTS JIMMIE ROWLES - THE PEACOCKS (Columbia/Legacy) CD
    with
    Stan Getz (tenor sax), Jimmie Rowles (piano / vocal), Buster Williams (bass), Elvin Jones (drums), Jon, Judy & Michelle Hendricks & Beverley Getz (vocals)

Recorded 1975. CD reissued in 2016 as part of Sony Music's Jazz Connoisseur series.

[​IMG]

I left it late before checking out this interesting recording, probably due to the inclusion of some vocal tracks.

YCC, Lonson, Jazzmonkie and 5 others like this.
  13. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

Purchased this excellent grouping this weekend.
    All first pressings on Blue Note, Prestige and Riverside.
    Nov was a good month for the Jazz titles at the house...

[​IMG]

Tooth, Mugrug12, Cervelo and 21 others like this.
  14. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Ornette coleman- free jazz, Br 1978
    [​IMG]

15. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Oh my god!!! Im jealous now

Crazysteve likes this.
  16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Columbia Sony Music "Jazz Collection 1000" SICJ 104) 2015 .... recorded March 1st, 1961 @ Radio Recorders Annex, Los Angeles .... Duke Ellington (p) + Aaron Bell or Jimmy Woode (b) + Sam Woodyard (dr) .... for me still a rather unsung gem which elevates the undiluted beauty of Duke Ellington`s chiseled piano phrasing to the foreground .... excellent transfer via this Sony Music Japan CD edition form 2015 ....

caio vaz, jbg, fingerpoppin and 7 others like this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Riverside Universal Japan UCCO-5572 SHM-CD) 2016 .... recorded October 18th and 20th, 1959 "live" @ The Jazz Workshop San Francisco .... Cannonball Adderley (as) + Nat Adderley (co) + Bobby Timmons (p) + Sam Jones (b) + Louis Hayes (dr) .... over there at "Organissimo" a thread tries to figure out the "best" Cannonball Adderley led Rhythm Section and I didn`t hesitate a second to raise my hand for Bobby Timmons + Sam Jones + Louis Hayes .... this super soulful groove machine propels both Adderleys to peak form and beyond .... definitely a live recording which lives more than up to the expectations .... btw this is a great sounding japanese SHM-CD edition ....

frightwigwam, caio vaz, jbg and 10 others like this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:bigeek:

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The disc was recorded in Tokyo and the information I wrote came from the liner note of this album which Teruo Isono wrote. However, according to another reliable source, ’Terry’ refers to Clark Terry, not Teruo. I do not know which is correct now. Teruo and Oscar were friends for sure.

20. That is a bit "far out" for relaxing time I think ;-}}

caio vaz likes this.
  21. .

Wow! what a beautiful load on one shot. Looks really like a pre-X-mas present. Congrats for finding them

22. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Haha yes! Its a little cacophonic :laugh: im more into Lester school..

23. Two more from the Charlie Haden 5 ORIGINAL ALBUMS box set.

[​IMG]

NIGHT AND THE CITY - CHARLIE HADEN | KENNY BARRON (Verve) CD

Charlie Haden (bass) & Kenny Barron (piano). Recorded live in New York 1996

Great album with Charlie and Kenny Barron in particular in top form.

[​IMG]

The Art Of The Song - Charlie Haden Quartet West (Verve) CD
    with
    Ernie Watts (tenor sax), Alan Broadbent (piano), Charlie Haden (bass), Larance Marable (drums), Shirley Horn, Bill Henderson & Charlie Haden (vocal), Strings/Chamber Orchestra. Recorded 1999
    The sound quality, like all discs in this set is great. I like the four Orchestrated tracks as well as the one with Charlie Haden on vocal. I don't mind the four tracks that feature Shirley Horn on vocal but (on one listen) don't think I will be in any hurry to hear again any of the four tracks that feature Bill Henderson's vocal.

24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Reprise Warner Pioneer Japan P-7512R) 2976 .... recorded February 1963 .... Bud Powell (p) + Gilbert Rovere (b) + "Kansas" Fields (dr) .... Bud Powell gives it all even though the shadows are growing longer .... Duke Ellington grants much needed production sponsorship for this late career gem which still seems to be rather unheralded .... desirable Pioneer Japan vinyl press from the mid70`s....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Berthold, jbg, charlesp and 5 others like this.
  25. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Gene Harris, Mickey Roker, Ray Brown, Stanley Turrentine – The Gene Harris Trio Plus One (1985)

[​IMG]

jbg, fingerpoppin and Bobby Buckshot like this.