Best affordable TV screen currently available?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Thread title says it all.

Seeing that the brillant Plasmas bit the dust a couple of years back.

What’s out there tv wise 2019/2020?

2. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

What size do you have in mind?

alexpop likes this.
  3. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

I don't know what you consider affordable but TCL makes 55-75 " sets that are considered to be very good sets at good prices. Samsung is up there too. Check out Rtings.com for suggestions and comparisons. Probably the closest to a plasma would be an Oled.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Buy the best LG OLED you can afford. I got another one for half price on Black Friday.

Bungo, Dr. Funk, Gardo and 7 others like this.
  5. alexpop

Back in the eighties it was Sony, in the 2000’s Panasonic...now it seems to be L.G.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. alexpop

65’” ( maybe 75”).

Exotiki likes this.
  7. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

How important is 4K/HDR/3D? to you?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    The Revealer likes this.
  8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Hisense. Just got a 58” 4kUHD for $399 CAN from Costco on Cyber Monday.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

400 Canadian $$$. That’s pretty cheap/ good deal.

Brenald79 likes this.
  10. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I love my TCL television. The built in Roku is great. And the price is right.

spanky1, Chris DeVoe and JackBnimble like this.
  11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Samsung QLED. May cost a bit more, but FANTASTIC video quality. I love mine for how it makes crappy program material look its best.

SandAndGlass and Exotiki like this.
  12. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

13. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Can you even buy a new TV that isn’t 4K? I think 3D is dead

Exotiki likes this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It uses Roku which is a very good home screen for smart TVs. Better than my Samsung costing 2x as much.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is sadly true. HDR/Dolby Vision are the new thing. The advantage is that you can enjoy 4K HDR from any place in the room, lying down, walking around, and doing other things. For 3D, you really have to devote 100% of your attention to the screen and not move your head. I wish they had kept 3D as a feature (perhaps with the higher-end sets), but I understand why they dropped it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Love my 65 inch LG OLED. B6, from memory.

Although it's 3 or 4 years old, there is nothing compelling in newer models. There's also nothing overly compelling as you go up the model progression from the base IMO.

My advice would be to get a great deal in the last iteration prior to the current. You could get a 65 inch B8 for around $1500 if you shopped around.

That would for me be the sweet spot in the bang for buck stakes.

chili555 and alexpop like this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

LG or Samsung 4K, separate sound bar - obviously you’ll get a better price on a 2018 model rather than 2019. I think the new ones come out around March each year.
    Chinese brand like Hisense if you want cheaper.

18. alexpop

Any projected 2020 TVS showcased : reviewed yet?

19. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

As I alluded to before, I'm just not sure what if anything paying a premium for a brand new model will get you.

Everything is 4k, most of the mid range sets mentioned have the various flavours of HDR and are as thin as possible, and there's no compelling standards changes mooted. Unless you count 8k, which is going to offer no difference in picture quality.

Can't hurt to check out what's on the horizon though - I haven't been keeping a close track.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

I’m not going to bother with nos 3D TVs that still maybe lurking in warehouses since 2016.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

IIRC, you can get the current (C9) LG OLED 65” for under $2100.

22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I totally agree with you. I don't even like LED TV sets, or should I say that I didn't until I got my 60" curved Samsung QLED display as a in-store demo for under $1k, back three summers ago.

Even after I bought the TV, I didn't like the picture. I thought that it was garish and the picture was like looking at a soap opera.

Then I learned to use the features of the set and found a menu setting "MOVIE". I made that one little setting switch and then the picture turned from something I didn't like to something that I thought was completely fantastic.

BTW, The reason that I bought a set that I didn't like, was that my old rear projection DLP TV set bit the dust and I had no other choice but to do so.

The QLED technology is truly FANTASTIC video quality and will afford one a much larger set for less money than an OLED TV.

Just keeping options open.

Also, just as a note, usually the best time to buy consumer electronics is not during Black Friday or even the holiday season, it is after the first of the year, when the Consumer Electronics Show is held, which is January 7-10, 2020.

This is when all of the manufactures announce their brand new 2020 models. Once the new models come out, then they heavily discount the older 2019 (or older) models, to move them out.

Even when I bought my QLED TV set three summers ago, it was the previous years model. This was right after they had discontinued the 3D feature set. I really could not be happier or the price that I paid for it, three years ago.

[​IMG]

supermd, longdist01 and alexpop like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was able to grab a 55" LG OLED C9 on a Black Friday sale for under $1400 delivered, and that's $700 cheaper than last year's 55" C8. We believe the 55" models have better panel uniformity (or at least the potential for it) than the 65" or 75" models.

Our cat particularly enjoys LG's packing materials:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I think if getting a 4K set and you have many sources of non-4K material the upscaling of the TV is important to your viewing enjoyment.

25. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I still have my Panasonic Plasma tv 40 inch. It works beautifully, picture still looks fantastic. My stereo system is hooked up too it. I bought it back in 2008. :agree:

hi_watt, supermd and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.