Do you count non physical product that are in your streaming library as part of "your collection"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

No. The Spotify stuff is just rented :whistle:

2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

If you actually sit down and count then chances are it's not much of a collection. What's the point when figures are different tomorrow ?

3. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Apple Music doesn't have everything so I will still occasionally pick up things on the iTunes music store if I really want it. I think this is particularly true of movie soundtracks, sometimes you can't even get these things on the music store so I'll have to look elsewhere. Last of the Mohicans for example on iTunes and Apple Music is a version of the score which I don't like so I've had to find the one I do like elsewhere.

As for my collection, I think I would say I have a digital collection and a physical collection but I wouldn't include any Apple Music tracks in the digital collection as they are liable to disappear at any moment without warning.

MungoMusic likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Not really, as I never really look through for something to listen to online ... I sometimes do at work, but generally I will youtube something I haven't heard, before I go into that "part of the collection".
    The stuff on Amazon music is there, because it goes there free if I buy something that gives a free online copy.

5. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

6. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Even if I paid for it, but I can’t hold the item, definitely not. It’s a file lol just like a word or a excel.

7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

8. Spotify doesn't count. The audio files on my NAS counts as my digital music library, but it has nothing to do with my physical collection of LPs and CDs.

9. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

No. If I have bought the mp3, it’s just to hold me over until I get it on CD. I bought all of Eddie Rabbitts 70’s and early 80’s lps on amazon on MP3’s because there are no cd reissues available at a decent price and for some reason his, no one will reissue them.

10. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Nope only stuff I can store on my NAS is considered part of my physical collection.

11. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

No. It’s not part of the collection. It’s basically a futuristic form of radio where the songs are on demand. And you can pay to eliminate the ads. It’s awesome and I love it but it has nothing to do with collecting which I also love.

joannenugent likes this.
  12. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

This. :thumbsup:

If I pay for it, and I download it to my computer and my hard drive(s), then yes, it is part of my collection. In some cases, this may be the ONLY format I can get for an artist. Some artists have switched over exclusively to the digital format....how else are we supposed to get them? That doesn't mean I won't burn them to CDs from time to time, but in many cases, I leave them in digital format only (I rent basically one and a half rooms and I simply don't have the space).

I cannot speak for the "Spotify" streaming format stuff because I don't subscribe to those type of services.

13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

No, but I don't consider most of my albums as part of a "collection," either.

Unopened vinyl, signed items and some other rarities constitute my "collection." That R.E.M CD with the cracked case? Not part a collection. Just a part of my music library, which includes LPs and files that exist only on my hard drive.

14. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Yes. Streaming saved the music industry and is surely here to stay. Streaming is many things, but from a "Library" standpoint its no different than CD or downloads, just another way of electronically storing and delivering my content.

So in the same way that my 19,000 song rips from CD to MP3 and my 1,000 song downloads as AAC are physical, so too are the streams that I have liked and/or added to streaming playlists. It's all a bunch of 1's and 0's, so how it makes it from binary code to my ears makes no difference. If I want to hear the new Maroon 5 song it's present in the same way that old Beatles song is present, doesn't matter how its stored or when I obtained it, it's there when I want it.

Daven23 likes this.
  15. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I don't really stream but if I download it to my computer it's part of my collection.

BeatleJWOL and KingPrawn19 like this.
  16. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Vinyl, CDs, digital files are all considered part of the collection, library, a third term.

17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

My collection are CD, vinyl and cassettes. Period

18. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I have two main Mac music libraries.

One is all of the ripped and downloaded files, vinyl rips, and purchased files that I permanently own, carefully walled off and quarantined from iCloud and its robot interventions.

The other is a much smaller audition-oriented Apple Music-centric library for the lossy “rented” music I stream or download, which of course will all disappear the instant I stop paying Apple’s monthly fee.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    MungoMusic likes this.
  20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

No. It can disappear at any time whenever the service decides to remove it. This happens to me on a weekly basis.

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  21. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

no no no no no, it's called 'renting' ... owning is collecting, or was it the other way around ...

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If I bought a digital download, it counts as part of my collection. Adding stuff to a streaming cue in Tidal or Amazon Music doesn't count. With streaming, you rent the music, content can be taken away at any time. That's fine for some folks, but if I really like an album, I want to own it at some point - preferably a physical copy. In some cases I will opt for the lossless download.

My 2 cents.

sbeaupre and seed_drill like this.
  23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, the few tracks I purchased from iTunes have never been played through my stereo. I don't even have a mechanism to do so, though I once had an iPod dock that plugged into the stereo, but it's not compatible with current iPhones.

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I think that if you want to put a fine point on it they are certainly different categories. It's not as simple as being 'in' or 'out' of my personal collection. Streaming is a different subset of being in one's collection IMO, than let's say an LP or a download. If I have an open reel tape dub of an LP is that record in my collection? Not really. Just call it what it is.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, I can see this. I purchased Martin Barre's early band, The Penny Peeps off iTunes. It's now no longer available through iTunes, but I still have my copy. In fact, I do index that type of file in my Collectorz data base. But stray tracks, where I didn't buy the whole album, I don't bother counting.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.