Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I assumed that the boot was sourced from leaked tapes which were taken out of storage when this box was first being worked on.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Bootleg sources are far less sexy these days.

3. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

I think the Dallas show is indeed a good audience recording. I too have a circulating version which listed it as SB.

4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I largely agree though with a few other positives to purchase it as well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

And in 2015, that same disc was released with the book Natural Born Drummer. And then an album using the same art as the Natural Born Drummer book was released called Do What You Like which is a disc of Ginger Baker's Air Force recordings. Of course, there was a previous album called Do What You Like (containing both Air Force albums, Ginger's album Stratavarious, and some bonus cuts.) This has managed to mess up a few online databases...

Matthew Tate and NumberEight like this.
  6. All Down The Line

Yes and uniquely it also features a female doing the introduction.

Matthew Tate and penguinzzz like this.
  7. nortoni

nortoni Surfer Joe

It’s an audience tape

8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

How so? I’ve always been curious as to where new sources come from, especially when they are soundboards.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

Too much pattieing?

ARK, The Ole' Rocker and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. All Down The Line

Yes it is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. TomPManchester

TomPManchester Forum Resident

Bit late to the party on this one. I’ve not bought a CD for years but this will be the first. Package looks great, a reasonable price and some of the best music ever

12. no time

no time Forum Resident

"Goodbye Tour Live 1968" will certainly be better than the previous bootlegs, otherwise it would be a scam! And I absolutely don't think it's possible. :righton:

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks for that. So there are 4 shows in March 1968 which may or may not exist in their entirety in the vaults. I guess if they or some of the unreleased material from those shows are in usable condition they could be used on a Wheels of Fire box. Still looking forward to the Goodbye box next February.

14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Just listened again to the circulated set. Sounds pretty good. If this is a true upgrade, then should be very impressive. Hopefully, there will be a download version. Another "book" on my shelf....oy.

15. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Very true. I was just reading a book last night that included an interview with Lonn Friend who was the editor of RIP Magazine. He said they needed to get review material three months ahead of a title’s release if they were going to sync up the review in the mag with the release date of an album.

Of course, there would be times when a mag won’t get the final physical packaging... it might just be the CD in an envelope and a link to graphics of the final packaging to be used in the magazine.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You never know. The recent Fleetwood Mac release Before The Beginning 1968-1970 is worse than the circulating bootlegs as is the official release of the Rolling Stones' BBC sessions called On Air.

17. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Anyone know why the 1967 Grande Ballroom show has never had an official release? Easily my fave live Cream.

18. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I think the only thing we DON'T have from that magnificent early show at Winterland on 03/10/68 is We're Going Wrong - if there was a vintage mix floating round of that track, a complete issue of that show (either standalone or as part of a larger WoF set) would be an absolute no-brainer, in my book.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Anything is possible, but Bill Levenson is overseeing this project and working from 1st generation tapes, so one expects it to be superior to the boots.

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

True, but you would always think the official release should be better and it is not always the case. Who knows if someone will compress it or in the Doors case overdub motorcycle sounds or instruments?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    supermd, jay.dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not having heard it yet, I'm not sure how much better it will sound, but I wouldn't expect it to be any worse. There was a bit of tweaking that I didn't care for on the boot; we'll see what tweaking was done for the official release.

23. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Yup, +1 mate! And the Cream BBC set is no-noised to death, plus only a fraction of all the band's BBC sessions - contrary to what's "out there". Ugh!

24. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Any bluray audio release for this?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Someone mentioned the mastering engineer for this project some pages back and it wasn’t flattering. You’d think that on a serious effort to reach a dedicated fan base that mastering of the existing tape sources would’ve been handed to someone known for meeting those fan expectations. If not, then you have to wonder.

:cheers:
    Cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.