Beatles albums with no singles... but what if?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

The Beatles did not release any UK singles from the following:

With The Beatles
    Beatles For Sale
    Rubber Soul
    Sgt Pepper
    The White Album

But if they did...what should have been the first single from each...

I’ll go for

It Won’t Be Long
    Eight Days A Week
    Drive My Car
    Sgt Peppers/ With A Little Help double A side
    Back In The USSR

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You didn't give them B-sides! I'll help out:
    -All I've Got To Do
    -What You're Doing
    -Think For Yourself
    -Lovely Rita
    -I'm So Tired

...just to add, USSR had been released as a single in one or two countries with While My Guitar gently Weeps on the flip side. The Pepper/Friends track came out in later years on a 45 in the midst of all the single re-issues in the late 70's. I have it as an Italian import with ADITL on the flip. I believe Germany paired it with Within You Without You.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nice thread idea.

It Won't Be Long
    Eight Days...
    Nowhere Man (UK), I've Just Seen a Face (US)
    With a Little Help...
    Ob La Di...

AppleCorp3, Crimson jon and DK Pete like this.
  4. Aar Gal

Good b sides... I knew about the USSR and Pepper singles which came out later but choose to ignore

DK Pete likes this.
  5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Excellent choices, though I would have All My Loving and It Won't Be Long from WITH THE BEATLES. Both are perfect pop singles.
    Eight Days A Week the obvious choice as it was a #1 in the US. Don't really see anything else on BEATLES FOR SALE that comes close to this as a single.
    Drive My Car a good choice. I also like the US hit Nowhere Man.
    Pepper/WALHFMF a good choice. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds another good one.
    Great choice with Back In The USSR. Ended up being a UK hit when ROCK AND ROLL album was released.

Aar Gal likes this.
  6. Aar Gal

I think No Reply, Every Little Thing and What You’re Doing would be fine singles from Beatles For Sale...although by that stage everything would have went to number 1 anyway!

Lots of possibilities from The White Album too..

JDeanB likes this.
  7. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a love fest for the US albums. I'll pass for now.

8. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

To my ears, Rubber Soul was the album that had the most singles that never were. Choose one:

I'm Looking Through You/Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

or

In My Life/If I Needed Someone

0r

Michelle/Girl

Bill Diercks, tug_of_war and Aar Gal like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and that's a problem? it's all Beatles great music no matter what UK, US whatever...not a US albums lovefest...but, a Beatles albums Lovefest. ; )

10. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident

Great topic:

"All My Loving" - WITH THE BEATLES
    "No Reply" - BEATLES FOR SALE
    "If I Needed Someone" - RUBBER SOUL
    "Little Help From My Friends" - SGT. PEPPER'S
    "Blackbird" - THE WHITE ALBUM

"All My Loving" is the way most in America first heard The Beatles. Put it on a 45 and let them buy it.

"No Reply" would have added more weight to the singles selections which at this point were mostly boy-loves-girl pop.

One of the greatest Beatle songs of all is the George tune "If I Needed Someone." No Beatle song captures the breezy mid-'60s pop better than that song. Jangle guitar, the boys harmonizing, great lick, unmatched sing-along-feel...it is the boys at the peak of their pop song craftsmanship. George should have been given the single spotlight. Why'd he have to wait until "Something"?

"Little Help" would have been a fantastic spotlight for Ringo. How can anyone not like that song? It would have been a smash.

What a great, brave choice "Blackbird" would have been. Extremely turbulent times - war, marches, civil rights, demonstrations, assassinations.. and The Beatles release this folky, bucolic acoustic little ditty. A song to uplift us all.

11. Aar Gal

Could have given George an early A Side with Think For Yourself

12. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well actually the only time they released a single from an album was in extracting Something/Come Together from Abbey Road. In every other case they included previously (or simultaneously in a couple instances) released singles on a subsequent album.

But to your main point, I'd say the singles would (like almost all of their UK singles) consist of one strong song each from John and Paul (and on rare occasions George or Ringo subbing for John or Paul). So:

It Won't Be Long/All My Loving

Eight Days A Week/Every Little Thing

Nowhere Man/Michelle - or maybe instead If I Needed Someone given its Byrdsiness at a time the Byrds were at their commercial peak and to give George his first B-Side (Day Tripper could work as the B-side as well).

Getting Better/Lucy (though the 'beat my woman' line might be problematic for an A-Side, but aside from that its the most single-sounding track on the album).

Obladi/Weeps (this pairing made #1 in Australia, and whatever you think about the A-side it clearly had hit potential since Marmalade's version hit #1 in the UK in early 1969.

13. jatticus

jatticus i swear im not emo

Agree, except I would make lucy the a side and getting better the b side

Aar Gal likes this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Release one of the four worst songs on the album as a single A-Side?! :yikes:

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Getting Better is catchier - but of course given the 'beat my woman' lyric, flipping the sides probably makes more sense. OTOH radio might not like that one either given the LSD rumor about the title.

jatticus likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

All My Loving
    Baby's In Black
    Nowhere Man
    A Day In The Life (this would have been a real event. One of the longest singles ever and huge sounding. A "we're back and beat this!" statement after Strawberry Fields didn't reach No.1)
    Back in the USSR

jatticus and Aar Gal like this.
  17. Aar Gal

Or how about going with

A Day In The Life / When I’m Sixty Four...

18. jatticus

I think back in the USSR would be taken weirdly in the U.S., given they were in full communist panic mode.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. jatticus

That would be a pretty good combo

Man at C&A and Aar Gal like this.
  20. jatticus

I think sgt. peppers would be with a little help from my friends as an a side and lucy in the sky with diamonds as the b side
    I think the white album would be ob-la-di, ob-la-da as the a side and either blackbird or while my guitar gently weeps as the b side.

DK Pete and Aar Gal like this.
  21. Aar Gal

Marvelous choices, and well thought out.

jatticus likes this.
  22. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Oh yeah, a lot of their songs would have been hits. I just don't think any of those you mention hit all the "hit single" buttons the way "Eight Days A Week" does. The US got it right on that one.
    I also think "I'm A Loser" could have been a hit.
    Other WHITE ALBUM hit choices (along with Back In The USSR):
    Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Obladi Oblada, I Will, Dear Prudence (I first heard this song as a hit for a Maine group called Katfish)

ajsmith and jatticus like this.
  23. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

A-Side too weird and B-Side too weak.

Plus the BBC banned ADITL from airplay due to the "I'd love to turn you on" line. Not a big deal for an album track but for a single?

Sometimes when a single gets banned, it gets flipped and the B-Side becomes the A-Side for promotion/airplay. How do you imagine that would work out?

jatticus likes this.
  24. jatticus

couldnt say it better myself

25. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of Eight Days A Week, but I do think it would have been an obvious choice for a single for any other artist. Michelle is another obvious choice, I don't know how Capitol passed it up for an A-side. :)

All My Loving/All I've Got To Do
    Eight Days A Week/No Reply
    Michelle/Nowhere Man
    Lucy In The Sky/Getting Better
    I Will/Julia

Aar Gal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.