Netflix: The Irishman - Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci & Harvey Keitel.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Guess I missed my true calling: casting director. :D

Ghostworld and twicks like this.
  2. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Loved the movie. De Niro was so good, the call scene was so powerful considering it's just a guy making a phone call.

3. rodrigosanche55

rodrigosanche55 Forum Resident

is this a joke?

peteham likes this.
  4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I totally agree. A brilliant scene. Another one is when he sits down for breakfast with Pesci and realizes he is going to Detroit to kill Hoffa. So much emotion in his facial expressions. All three actors and Scorsese deserve an Oscar!

D-rock, Bill, BZync and 2 others like this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Also, the 'It is what it is' sequence

Shawn and palisantrancho like this.
  6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I keep wondering if people said "It is what it is" back then. Maybe so, but it stuck out for me.

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Don ''t sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel.

qm1ceveb likes this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

You were supposed to look at her not the car.

BZync likes this.
  9. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Didn’t he keep saying “It’s what it is,” not “*It is* what it is?”

not that there’s a big difference but people here keep saying the former..

10. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

alexpop and twicks like this.
  11. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

I watched it over two days like many, it was long. There was some great stuff but also felt a lot of it had been covered before in Goodfellas,etc. Probably watch it again undistractedly after the holidays.

12. BZync

BZync Senior Member

D-rock likes this.
  13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Her motive was shown quite clearly when daddy took her down to the store where the owner apparently placed hands on her. After she pointed out who did it, he proceeded to beat the crap out of him in front of her, including smashing his hand with his feet into the sharp curb while he screamed. Soooooo, I guess I can understand the daughter, from that day on, looking at daddy in a different light. Slapping the guy around would have been one thing, but the scene illustrates the brutality of Frank Sheeran. I'm sure, as the daughter grew up, she could figure out what daddy did for a living. Another scene was when he was leaving in the middle of the night and she asked where he was going. She kind of knew, but wanted some kind of answer from him. He just tells her to get back to bed. She grew up knowing her father was a vicious killer. That would distance anyone from a parent.

14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

You can argue that Paquin doesn’t get get enough screen time and lines—that’s one thing. But that it’s unclear why Peggy is distant from her father? That’s more than evident to me.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

She could sense things like all kids do---Pesci not good, Hoffa good. Dad got tied in with Pesci. You just feel things.

16. Wildest cat from montana

Hmm...you may be right. Oh , well...time for my fourth viewing anyway so I'll check on that.

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Rob C, BZync, wolfram and 1 other person like this.
  19. I don't think it's a joke. I thought Joker was the better DeNiro film than The Irishman and Phoenix the best acting performance this year. He's about as good as DeNiro was in his prime (Taxi driver/Raging Bull).

Graham, Denim Chicken and twicks like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The scenes where he casually forces the enemy German WWII soldiers to dig their own graves, then shoots them without much remorse, shows the audience that he's become numb to the act of killing and just accepts it as a job.

I think Joker is going to be a very, very tough film to beat in the acting category at the awards shows. But it'd be nice if they give Pesci a supporting actor award.

21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

For all the distracting CGI not enough power blasts or super powers. C+

22. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Just kidding. But honestly I was waiting for Rogue One’s Peter Cushing to show up.

BZync and twicks like this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I was pretty sure lasers were going to erupt from DeNiro's glowing eye orbs any second.

24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I don’t understand all the questions about Frank Sheeran’s motivation for murder and brutality. I think it’s pretty simple, the man is a psychopath. Normal people like you and I (I hope you lol) don’t murder people and certainly don’t beat them cruelly. No matter what slight they’ve put upon us. We question the motivation because we’re not mentally ill like they’re are, and don’t understand how they can behave like that. Because we don’t. There’s a Sopranos episode where Tony beats a rival for threatening his daughter. It’s sickening what he does to the guy. Psychopath.

BZync and dead of night like this.
  25. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Haha. Yeah they were glowing! Haha. I thought it was the remake of Dune I’ve been hearing about.

twicks likes this.