Another "should I buy" thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wolfyboy3, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By... Thread Starter

Hi
    I am wondering about getting a tube integrated. Specifically a Primaluna EVO 400 or 300 depending on whether I decide to splurge or not on the headphone amp that can be added. I am interested in tubes and that "tube sound". I might look into a used one.
    I might be able to trade in my current integrated, a Marantz PM-14S1 if I buy new from a local retailer. I will be pairing the integrated with a pair of Martin Logan Motion 60XT's which I own. Their sensitivity is 94 db I believe. They are 4 ohm compatible. I have no idea whether this would make a good match or not between the amp and the speakers. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I don't think you'll have any issues with a PL and those speakers. I think you might have a hard time finding an EVO used though.

displayname and wolfyboy3 like this.
  3. wolfyboy3

Is that because they are so new? There's a Primaluna on Audiogon but it is a Dialogue IIRC. With a bent speaker post. Not gonna buy it, but like you say it's the only one on Audiogon ATM.

displayname likes this.
  4. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Yes, the EVO has just recently been made available.

displayname and wolfyboy3 like this.
  5. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Budget?

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Can you get the Dialogue Premium HP used? It is the predecessor of the EVO 400. Incredible amp. I love mine. Tons of power and great tube sound. Easy to use. Easy on tubes. Adaptable.

If you have the cash, the EVO 400 new will not disappoint.

7. wolfyboy3

I am willing to spend around 5,000 USD or less. If I buy used I would like to spend less, just to keep apples to apples. If that makes sense. But I am still open to ideas, so fire away. I won't buy this until after Christmas. So I am in the research phase of buying.

8. wolfyboy3

The one on Audiogon is the "Dialogue 1 + Upgrades". I am keeping an eye out for others as time marches on.... I am not buying one with a bent speaker post like the one on Audiogon.

9. Echoes Myron

I'm not familiar with the lower models. I have only heard / own the Dialogue Premium HP.

If you don't have a local dealer, Upscale Audio is the importer and maybe they have some on clearance.

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  10. Ontheone

In order to get the most out of tubes, especially in your price range, I probably wouldn't be trying to drive 4ohm speakers. The magic comes with an easier load. Just my two cents.

timind and wolfyboy3 like this.
  11. wolfyboy3

Thanks for your post. What do you suggest I do?

12. wolfyboy3

Thank you. I do have a local dealer I might go with. I need to call them and ask a couple of questions.
    By the way, are your speakers 8 ohms? If not, what are they?

13. Echoes Myron

I am running B&W 805 D3s which are listed at 8 ohms. And using the 8 ohm taps.

The HP puts out 70 WPC and could pretty much drive anything.

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  14. Ontheone

There really isn't a cheap fix. I'd buy a low cost, used tube integrated to drive something like these $1,500 Heresy III's: Klipsch Heresy III Walnut - Demo Pair

All together this could keep your budget in the $3,500 range. If you don't like the combo you should be able to sell for little loss. At least you'd be giving tubes a fair shake instead of possibly not liking tubes because you tried to drive 4ohm speakers with them.

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  15. wolfyboy3

Does it matter if the amp has a 4ohm Tap?

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Your Martin Logans are pretty efficient so I would look into a vintage tube amp, Scott or Fisher, with a 4 ohm tap if you want to hear what tubes can do. I say this because the PL amp I owned had none of the so-called tube magic. Not that it was a bad amp, it just didn't provide any magic for me. An old Fisher on the other hand, did.

17. wolfyboy3

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225’s which I am not using atm. I wonder if it makes sense to pair them with an expensive tube amp? They are 8 ohms. Also iirc, 87 dB efficiency.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I didn’t read the original post but yes, whatever it is you should definitely buy it ASAP.

19. Ontheone

I suppose you could also look into some of the used Line Magnetic integrated amps. They should be able to drive your speakers while also giving you a warm tube sound.

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  20. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

HAVE YOU BOUGHT IT YET? IF NOT, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GO BUY IT!!!!

Kidding aside, you might consider upgrading your speakers before committing to an expensive amplifier change.

bluesaddict and wolfyboy3 like this.
  21. wolfyboy3

What is different about the Line Magnetic Amps?

That's a good thought... Maybe the way to go.

22. Ontheone

In your price range, something like this will have enough power for your speakers is what I'm saying. Line Magnetic LM-501 IA 100 Watt Integrated Tube Amplifier

But, you will still get the best experience with 8+ohm speakers IMO. It was just a suggestion if you really are set on not getting different speakers for the tube amp.

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  23. wolfyboy3

OK. Now I understand. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  24. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you want to try something new, or different, go for it. Hard to imagine any of these amps truly besting your Marantz though. Different? Maybe to some degree. Better? Only one way to know.

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  25. wolfyboy3

Thanks. I now have a lot to think about.

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.