And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Hey, it's a discussion forum! I had some more thoughts.

Full disclosure - I rate myself as somewhere between a casual and hardcore fan, maybe out of 10 a 7.5.

I grew up with Pertwee and then Baker, and I suppose the Baker years are my years. Star Wars, Punk Rock, 2000AD and Doctor Who.

When Baker left I lost interest and didn't like the actors they had after him and some of those shows are really bad.

Anyway, got back into the rebirth with Ecclestone. Liked him a lot and then Tennant even more, for a while it was essential viewing. Smith was OK but not a fan of Capaldi.

The point is I'm not just an old school guy, I do like the new Doctors as well. And unlike The Walking Dead (which is pretty much the same creative team) they do swap things around. New Doctors, new writers etc. So while you can give up on the Walking Dead as it isn't going to change much at all (and they have pretty much ran out of ideas) I can't just give up on the Doctor as we may get a great creative team back on the show with a decent cast and good stories. So you have to check out the new incarnation and on a forum like this I think it's allowed to give your opinion.

It's like the BBC are not the owners anymore, the fans are, and the BBC are now just the custodians of the property and we shouldn't weakly just accept what they give us at this point. If it's poor then we have a right to demand better. That is a perfectly acceptable position and you have no right to say 'stop moaning and watch something else'. That is a weak argument. We have the right to demand better.

2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I concur. The strength of the reboot has been characterisation. Gone are the wobbly sets and interchangeable companions. Now it's the side-kicks that have the better stories and contributions. This new batch don't, at first, look too promising but VERY early days yet. Lets hope that Bradley Walsh is the new Bernard Cribbins. Shame they killed off his missus so early. She had potential too.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought that was odd as well. But I figured maybe she meant that he was going to leave so there was no need to try and kill him. But then I thought, yeah well that still sounds odd. :)

Also how does that weakling manage to kick that hulking alien and knock him over.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Jim B. likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think I've seen a Dr Who episode that's realistic but that's sort of the point :)

I thought he did photograph it. He showed them pictures of the pod before he led them back to where he saw it. The guy who lost his sister found the capsule because he had been monitoring energy readings (IIRC). He explained that in the video he left on his computer. He used a van to transport it IIRC. But that hardly matters. I want to know how he managed to pick it up without burning his hand, never mind the weight. :)

Agree on the teleport vs ship. No idea on that one.

I will add, that overall I've enjoyed this reboot over the years but I've become more bored with it because I didn't think the writing was up to par. IMO that hurt the Capaldi eps. The stories could've been much better.

DreadPikathulhu and Jim B. like this.
  5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

The Doctor said that it was only a short range teleport (and another way that Tim Shaw was cheating). The ship was the only way to get to Earth and back home. It wasn’t meant to be a method of transport because he was supposed to acquire the target without any sort of help.

andybeau and eddiel like this.
  6. I'm not a huge follower of Dr Who. I've watched random episodes over the years, but I felt Jodie really bought something new and wonderful to her first episode.

Yeah the writing was so so, but I loved watching her in every scene. It's exciting that she is just getting used to this new body the doctor now has, so it will be fun seeing her adjust to it all and find her own direction.

A exciting time in so many ways for Jodi to become Dr. Who.

chacha, andybeau and dbacon like this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I enjoyed the new episode. As much as I wanted to like Capaldi, he just never clicked with me.

8. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

The way I read the No Right to do That line had to do with how the monster was defeated and in the process of leaving. But the guy still essentially sucker-punched it off of the crane to try to kill it. She wouldn't approve of bad guys acting that way, and she also doesn't approve of humans acting that way.

It was a very Doctory thing to say.

Sloppy in context, of course, since she had just tricked the monster into committing suicide. But she would probably explain that it was only because the monster tried to murder her friends that essentially bounced back on it. Not perfect, but certainly her line to the guy fits the character of The Doctor.

9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There must be someone who didn't like Eccleston. Very very few but probably at least a couple of grumps out there somewhere. His is the only new Who I've wanted and gotten on DVD. I wish he'd come back and do a (long) story with Jodie! Not set in Spain though... and no Hawaiian shirts please...

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Knowing Eccleston, he probably didn't like Ecckeston...

beccabear67 likes this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

So his 'ship' is a large vase he can hardly fit into?

And so if the ship is destroyed, which seemed to be the case, and he only has a short range teleporter, then he must still be running around on earth somewhere?

12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I only referred to it as a ship because others referred to it as a ship. It’s clearly not a ship. If I was to make a guess it is more like the equivalent to a decompression chamber considering how hostile to human life his home planet must be (and vice versa Earth must be to him). The crystals were how he got from one planet to the other, which is what she gave to him before he disappeared.

I’m starting to wonder how closely you really paid attention to the show.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

There were a LOT of people that hated Eccleston back then, just as there are always plenty of vocal loudmouths online complaining about every Doctor since.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That makes it clear!

It really makes absolutely no sense does it. Where did the orb come from then? And the pod only appeared because Ryan touched that button. So his method of transport is to transmit a floating button somewhere and hope that someone presses it?

It's really awful writing to be honest. It's far too complicated and makes no sense.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't think I was online much at that time but I though he was generally pretty well received? And even if some people didn't like him the stories were very strong and well written and directed, so overall it was still watchable for all?

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope, it doesn't. But 95% percent of all nuWho scripts don't make any sense either. The successful episodes tend to be the ones that have strong character arcs - logic is usually besides the point. That's because they never hire showrunners/writers that have even a basic understanding of science or proper science fiction.

Jim B. likes this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Sadly that seems to be the case :(

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

New trailer came out yesterday. But as it turned out it's actually the second trailer. The first appeared Nov 23rd.

I'm surprised neither has been posted already but maybe it's a sign of our deepening boredom with the series. Mind you, I heard barely a peep elsewhere. I only found it because I was curious as to when it was coming back.

New series starts Jan 2, 2020

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkEB0ysv7sM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aPfN_0WvK4

neo123 likes this.
  19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I definitely haven't heard anything about it either. Not being hyped like previous seasons.

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

So another year without a Christmas special? Didn't have one last year either.

21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

They've decided on New Years apparently.

I dunno - these big gaps between seasons are definitely eroding my interest.

eddiel, Chris DeVoe and neo123 like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

They are trying so hard to make every episode look like a movie. There was a panel about the show at WorldCon, and I complained about how long it takes, and how it was hurting interest. The panelists got offended, claiming that if it was put together any quicker, it would hurt the show - but I call BS. I could put up with some more rubber looking monsters if we could have more than 10 episodes every couple of years.

Good writing is the most important part, and it genuinely doesn't take that long - Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Pohl and the like cranked out amazing SF on a schedule at a penny a word.

budwhite and Denim Chicken like this.
  23. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

So funny we were just saying the same thing just last night while watching some Tom Baker. We were cracking up at the horrible effects but at the same time we’re completely enthralled because the episode had a great story and of course Tom is so great.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Which was the point I was going to make to @Chris DeVoe. I love the old shows - low budget sets and costumes and all. When you have an actor who really clicks as The Doctor and good story lines, it can be a great show.

I was watching some of 10's episodes the other day and I really miss those story arcs and cliff hangers so it's not even about "old" vs "new."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.