Wolfgang Van Halen defends Billie Ellish for not knowing Van Halen

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

When I was 17 (1990) I don’t think I could’ve named one Yardbirds’ song or any of their guitarists.
    I knew who Page,Clapton and Beck were but nothing of the Yardbirds influential history.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  2. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

“Hey nineteen, that’s Billie Eilish”

3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

For whatever reason, VH really don't translate across generations the way other older bands do. And I say this as a huge fan. I'll bet she knows who Led Zeppelin and the Doors were but VH just haven't had the same kind of cultural staying power. Again, I am a huge VH fan but it's just true.

I-OD, Jmac1979, seed_drill and 6 others like this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Van Halen will eventually go the way of Mountain.

And I say that as a huge fan of Mountain.

5. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yea, on that note when AC/DC played near me it was more than half young people, same with Guns n roses at the same stadium. Scorpions and Van Halen all grey hair. Some bands seem to translate more. As and unreleated aside. When i saw Danzig, weirdly, half younger people and half women. Really trippy. I would have thought all old dudes.

6. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I think of all the education that she missed...

7. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

She has probably heard of Zeppelin. However, outside of Stairway to Heaven, I doubt she could name one song.

And no to The Doors.

Who.
    Mountain?
    Who.
    Mountain?
    THE WHO!
    Oh, gotcha.

Maybe so, but buy then, I’ll probably be transcending time and space.

8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I feel like You Tube has democratised a lot of music. You can find Benny Goodman and the newest hit single. I'm always surprised how educated on music younger people are. They have access to so much. Pretty cool really.

9. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Eventually????

PopularChuck and Bluesman Mark like this.
  10. kdd21

kdd21 Forum Resident

Who the hell is Billie Eilish?

11. kdd21

kdd21 Forum Resident

Ehh when I went to see Van Halen in 2015 there were a lot young people at the concert so this isn’t true

12. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Old men embarrassing themselves again. I grew up with Van Halen, saw them in concert a few times, and jammed my ass off to them more times than I could possibly count or remember, but in no way should she know who they are or care who they are.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why "should" it be that young people don't know artists who predate them?

I couldn't care less that Eilish never heard of VH, but I don't understand the notion that it's bad for young people to be aware of older musical acts...

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

First: I know who commented first via tweet. I'm the one who posted this thread.o_O
    Second: Jokes don't always work. Always consider the audience and the situation.

15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

My 13-year old niece had never heard of Led Zeppelin, Van Halen or Pink Floyd when I asked her recently about all three.

It's not a big deal.

Hell, when I was 13, I couldn't name any song by The Rolling Stones that wasn't Start Me Up or Undercover of the Night.

16. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

The bigger story is Eddie named his kid wolfgang?

danielbravo and PopularChuck like this.
  17. Grant

No, it means that they have their own world and we have ours. When you were 18 years old, did you know or care about Bob Wills, Bud Freeman, or Robert Johnson unless you were a total music geek?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  18. Grant

It is a popular name in Northern Europe where the Van Halens emigrated from.

footlooseman likes this.
  19. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Understandable but still a very celebrity thing to do... what with van halen the band being the embodiment of all things American for about a decade and the fact he, like the rest of us take on entirely new American identities regardless of where we came from.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Since Eilish is a musician, shouldn't that qualify her as "music geek" - in theory, at least?

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

You are correct, their world is much more narrow and restricted. I wasn’t oblivious to Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly in the 80’s. The younger generations are very much uninformed of great music and popular culture from just 20+ years ago — and it hasn’t always been that way.

22. Grant

On the other hand, Van Halen prominently figures into the history of rock music. No, she doesn't have to know their music, but I do think that any musician should have a basic knowledge of musical history. That goes for the boomers, too.

However, the way popular music is today, Van Halen's history doesn't really have a place in it. And, I would classify Billie Ellish's music as avant-garde. What I heard of it is off the beaten path. That is another result of not having a centralized music business anymore. When people get their music from a variety of sources with no gatekeepers, the music and audience becomes fractured and historical music has much less of any impact or influence.

SeanRichard likes this.
  23. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Right, that is why Van Halen is being weeded out and forgotten.

24. Grant

Maybe. Maybe not. Look how many musicians out there still think rock music started with The Beatles or Led Zeppelin.

Bluesman Mark and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I can't agree with the "they have their world and we have ours" sentiment. Decades of musical philosophy is behind me (Sting, U2, Lennon etc.). "They" have their tastes and influences and so do "we". A bit of expansion and broadening of the minds can't hurt both ways. Its not important that she didn't know at 18, its not important that some on SHF claim not to have heard about her, but saying "don't know and don't care" from the safety of the bunker is just not healthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.