Do you count non physical product that are in your streaming library as part of "your collection"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Sayeth the judge!
    :--)

I stream too. But I'm not naive enough to think I 'own' the songs.
    But believe what you want, Judge!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Congratulations. You own more sh*tty-a** songs unworthy of even a single listen than any other human being on "SHF". But we don't judge.

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The sense that counts in this case is touch, and not hearing.

5. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Modern Dad doesn't judge; he just explains the way it is.

6. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

No one can listen to 50 million songs in a lifetime anyway. A completely meaningless library of nothing.

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  7. schnitzerphilip

Ah, but this is where you need to better understand the magic of Streaming. The platform learns what I like and don't like over time. And it filters those 50 million songs that I could listen to down to a comfortable 5,000 songs that I should listen to. And it feeds me those new songs betwixt and between my personal favorites and that's why Streaming is so compelling.

Many of you think that Streaming is just a way to get at the old Genre>Artist>Album>Song formula and that's where you're wrong. It's an entirely different way to experience music. Imagine your favorite 10,000 songs served to your ears amongst 5,000 songs you haven't heard yet but you know you are going to adore, no duds at all. That's the power of Streaming.

MungoMusic likes this.
  8. Freezerburn

I know what I like. I dont need filtered.
    Plus what you are streaming is compressed.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

As long as you keep paying it's yours. 10 bucks a month vs hundreds a day isn't a good comparison.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

YouTube is much more limited in comparison than you think and it streams at 128.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

An early thread topic of mine, back in 2014 : When streaming blurs the line between having a collection and consuming music

Quoting my younger self:

But as I've accumulated that large amount of music in the cloud via a matching service, it gives me kind of a weird feeling now. Not that it's digital because I'm used to that, what I mean that it's not really my collection so much as it's a giant playlist from the library of a large music provider. The best analogy I could come up with would be playing my own LP at home versus playing a similar LP from someone else's library at someone else's house.

I think this is still generally true for me, five years later. Although I will admit that between unlimited cell plans, offline downloads and lossless streaming the line is blurring a bit more.

12. schnitzerphilip

That’s cool, if you’re satisfied with your existing library and want to limit your discovery to top 100 songs found on radio and word of mouth recommendations from 5 friends that’s your call.

You are, however, missing out on tens of thousands of songs you would definitely adore with streaming technology effortlessly finding them for you. For an audiophile, that’s tragic.

So? It’s decompressed on high fidelity electronic equipment that is optimized for streaming content. My ‘smart’ speakers have 12 microphones and 2 processors powerful enough to power 2 computers specifically engineered to translate data into audiophile-quality sound custom to whatever environment they are placed in. Your ‘dumb’ speakers can’t do that.

Again, learn about streaming and the equipment designed for it. You’ll discover that 1980’s forum narratives no longer apply.

13. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Just the four HD Tracks albums that I own (Dusty in Memphis, The Yes Album, Sweet Baby James and Aretha's I Never Loved a Man...).
    Sometimes I feel the same with some albums on iTunes, particulary albums that I don't have a physically copy (Frank Ocean's Blonde).

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Oops, you are talking about streaming. Then, no.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. Freezerburn

Yay!
    I have 2000 cd titles to choose from and you tube to find new music I like.
    Plus bookmarked websites that cater to my taste.
    I prefer certain cd pressings and have very specific tastes.
    No 80s narratives, just hands on finding the gems.
    Enjoy your streaming. If it works for you fine. Sometimes too many choices is a bad thing.

16. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

You forgot to post a picture of your homepod, for the 100th time. Actually your "dumb" homepod speaker is a combination transistor radio/jukebox, and you're about as hip and up-to-date as a 1950s music listener. Except the sound quality from a transistor radio might be better than your homepod.

17. Freezerburn

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

18. Ivan Aaron

Ivan Aaron What Sells ≠ What Streams

I don’t have any streaming content, but I have purchased some digital downloads. I do not consider them a part of my library. More like place-holders until there is a physical version. As I have no trust in HD downloads, they count the same as the 256k stuff.

19. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

20. schnitzerphilip

I understand. You like your smaller collection. Nothing wrong with that. But compared to 50 million songs it’s very....very....what’s the word I’m searching for....

Compressed.

21. Scooper9299

Scooper9299 Well-Known Member

No. If it's not tangible product in my possession then it's not a part of my collection.

I'm sure there are those out there that do, but the notion that someone can claim a wi fi connection as part of a collection is completely foreign-opposite to any notion that I have of what a "collection" is.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Freezerburn

Ok you win with 50 million to my 2000.
    You get a gold star!
    And you get the smart guy of the year award.
    Don Pardo, tell him what he's won........

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What streaming library?

I'm not ruling out having one in the future but as things are now, I just love playing my records and CDs. I'm content.

Rocky's Owner and Freezerburn like this.
  24. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Yay! Schnitzel (autocorrect...but I like it) and Freezerburn having a debate!
    This is a gift from the forum godz.

schnitzerphilip and Freezerburn like this.
  25. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

No, It doesn't count

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.