2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I think it was a 1965 photo signed later

2. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

it does look like wide width ballpoints

3. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

4. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Here's a picture of my "We Can Work it Out" sleeve. Definitely not as good as the others. See for yourself as to how bad it is:

[​IMG]

5. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Well..... someone correct me please, but don’t the autographs look like cheap fakes to you ? I’d never noticed before, but compare the picture posted above with the single cover and draw your own conclusions.

6. Exotiki

(This was created at 7' 300dpi for those who want to print)

Behold!

[​IMG]

7. Is this your cleanup/reconstruction of the artwork? Very nice!

8. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Mine just arrived, now time to return the Amazon purchase and save about $90

vinylbeat likes this.
  9. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Well done!

Billy Budapest and Exotiki like this.
  10. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I wasn’t going to bite on this but broke down with the uDiscover discounts. $138 out the door, including free shipping and sales tax. Not bad.

vinylbeat and MedozK like this.
  11. Exotiki

Yes it is! A complete reconstruction

Billy Budapest and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Or almost complete? The edges of the photo appear to come from a lower quality source.

13. Exotiki

Yes unfortunately the edges of the photo were cropped so I had to try and match and feather blend the two to fill in the missing areas. It was really the only option. But the solid colour and text were all restored/recreated

I think it still looks better than the official sleeve!

Billy Budapest likes this.
  14. Actually I got in trouble after I bought a purple marker in 1965/66. I wrote F U on the flap on a shopping cart and got caught. So markers were around. True story....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yesterday I was at a friend's home who had the set, and that's exactly what we heard.

This was my first impression of the set:

-Presentation is great. The covers are larger and sturdier than usual 45s. They look great, even those I didn't like when I saw the pictures here (Yellow Submarine, for example). The exception is, of course, Day Tripper/WCWIO. The photos don't reflect how bad it is. Pixels and aliasing clear as day. Big screw-up.
    The reproduction of the labels is also a very nice touch. The booklet looks great too, but most of the pictures have been used in previous material.

-Regarding the discs: there's something nobody has mentioned AFAIK: They are very thin. When the set was announced, it was said they were "180 g". Of course, we knew they couldn't weigh that, but we assumed it meant that they would be as thick as 180 g. LPs, like the Long Tall Sally EP from a few years ago. Well, they are not. It still says 180 g. in the publicity blurb, I would say that's false advertising.

It's also strange that the songs occupy such a little surface on the records. I have other singles and they usually take up more surface, it's supposed to improve the sound that way, isn't it?

Apart from that, they look shiny and very good, and they are completely silent, not a bit of surface noise. But in my friend's box 7 of them were noticeably warped, and many others slightly so. Only half of them (maybe less) were completely flat. Not the best CQ here.

-As for the sound: We sampled many, but not the whole box. To me they don't sound dull and flat, like Fremer said. Quite on the contrary, they are cut hot and bright (apparently very similar to the original 45s, according to many people, I never had one). This may be the cause of some distortion in some of them (Strawberry Fields, I Feel Fine, Rain, Lady Madonna, The Inner Light...); there's also some cases of sibilance.
    Now, there are some that sound really good. When you bump into these, it's a real pleasure, because they have a lot of presence and immediacy (She's a Woman, Can't Buy Me Love, You Can't Do That, Penny Lane, Yellow Submarine...). Also, it seems the later singles' EQ is less aggressive, and they sound great to my ears (Hey Jude, Revolution -well, obviously this does sound aggressive in a good way-, Get Back, Don't Let Me Down...)

After the singles, we played some of the songs on the Mono Masters LP... wow, no contest. But I really think it's not a question of source (they used the same), it's a question of EQ. In the mono box they went for the best possible sonic experience, and in the singles box they went for the authenticity of the singles' sound.

So, after this experience, I'm still not sure if I will buy the set. Now I am convinced is mostly a collectible. A very cool collectible, no doubt. But it would never be a go-to for sound, except maybe some songs. Also, the quality control issues with warped records and that awful Day Tripper cover makes me hesitate.
    Maybe when/if the price is much lower...

16. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Amazing.
    If anyone from Apple is lurking this thread please hire this person ASAP.

BeatleJWOL, jmxw and Exotiki like this.
  17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I listened to the whole box last night and I was fairly happy with the sound quality myself. I don't see myself pulling them out too much in the future but that's more because I've found 45s to be a bit of a faff.

18. Exotiki

Aww, your too kind :angel:

BeatleJWOL and Yayastone like this.
  19. Exotiki

I’ll keep working on the source files tomorrow and see if I can refine some of the minor issues to make it look more professional.

Also, I learnt how you can take a signed picture and a unsigned version of the picture and extract the signature! So that was definitely worth doing

I’ll have a V2.0 for you guys by this time tomorrow :cool:

20. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I'm gonna hold fire on this set until we get the repress with Brodnation sleeves!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Maybe can print slicks and paste 'em over, Yesterday & Today style...

22. Exotiki

You guys are honestly too nice, I do these for this community and it’s great to hear all the positive feedback! I’m glad I am making people happy

23. Exotiki

I do make all my sleeve art the proper dimensions and resolution for that exact purpose! I’m glad you think it’s worthy of that :righton:

24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Then we'll be collecting Brodnation "first states", "second states", etc :)

25. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

If you want it to have crisper text, I can help you retype it with the proper fonts.

BeatleJWOL and Exotiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.