Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Amazon was supposed to have my LP box delivered by today, but it still hasn't shipped. :realmad:

2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Finally had a chance to listen to the remaster with cans right next to the HD Tracks version. The remaster is surprisingly not brick-walled or filled with clipping! Ty me ears at least, a ton more low end and more tame high end, which compared to the HD Tracks version makes it have less "shimmer" however it still is enjoyable and more different than inferior.

It is of course, less DR than the original however I do hear dynamics in it to where I don't mind the lessened DR range overall. I haven't really made my mind up in regards to which I enjoy more, however the remaster to me is enjoyable and exponentially easier to listen to than the PR remaster

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  3. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Unboxing video of the CD and vinyl super deluxe editions.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just checked this out myself and absolutely agree. It sounded like they crushed "Moonbeam Levels" a bit more on 4ever - another reason why the new remaster is better. Ran the DR meter and it's an 8 on 4ever and a 9 on this set.

TonyCzar likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it has more to do with the tape source of the song on 4Ever.

6. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Similar to Galley's re-sequence of Disc 3 in the Purple Rain set (which I've attempted to re-post), I decided to re-order the tracks for Disc 2 to be a more enjoyable listen (for me at least). Feel free to re-adjust to your taste.

Domestic US singles:
    1999 7"
    Tracks: 1, 2

Little Red Corvette 7"
    Tracks: 5, 6, 7

Delirious 7"
    Tracks: 10, 11

Let's Pretend We're Married 7"
    Tracks: 14, 16

---

Automatic [Australian] 7"
    Tracks: 12

1999 Promo 7"
    Tracks: 2, 3

Let's Pretend We're Married Promo 7"
    Tracks: 15

D.M.S.R. Soundtrack Edit:
    Tracks: 18

Extended Mixes:
    Tracks: 8, 9

Video Versions:
    Tracks: 13, 17

ispace and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Most of these edits are rare, and apart from the three big singles none of them have been re-released anywhere before.

It's funny that we have had so many complain about the disc being useless, but we are now also getting people talking about how some of the album tracks go on too long. From the tracks on disc two it's possible to put together an almost complete (except for two songs) alternate version of the album with shortened tracks, or any combination that substitutes edits of certain songs.

The thing is this is Warner's approach, and they won't be in control of the catalogue much longer (except for the soundtracks), so this is probably not a pattern that will continue.

That is the only quibble I have with the singles discs (for both releases), why do they program them this way, they are unlistenable without rearranging, with the multiple repeats right after one another.

I'd program it something like this:

Singles A's & B's:
    "1999 (7″ Stereo Edit)"
    "How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore (“1999″ B-side)"
    "Little Red Corvette (7″ Edit)"
    "All The Critics Love U In New York (7” Edit)"
    "Lady Cab Driver (7″ Edit)"
    "Delirious (7” Edit)"
    "Horny Toad (“Delirious” B-side)"
    "Automatic (7″ Edit)"
    "Let’s Pretend We’re Married (7″ Edit)"
    "Irresistible Bitch (“Let’s Pretend We’re Married” B-side)"
    Soundtrack edit:
    "D.M.S.R. (Edit)"
    12" remix:
    "Little Red Corvette (Special Dance Mix)"
    Promo edits:
    "1999 (7″ Mono Promo-only Edit)"
    "Let’s Pretend We’re Married (7″ Mono Promo-only Edit)"
    "Free (Promo-only Edit)"
    "Little Red Corvette (Dance Remix Promo-only Edit)"
    Video versions:
    "Automatic (Video Version)"
    "Let’s Pretend We’re Married (Video Version)"

8. ad180

I would argue that this is the Estate’s approach, not Warner’s. When everything shifts to Sony, I suspect we will see more deluxe editions like these.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I really hope that Sony do what Warner have been doing from a sound mastering point of view and pressing perspective - black vinyl pressed @ Optimal is the best one can do.
    I feel Burnie Grundman does a better job than SST have done for the Sony releases. All these vault tracks need as much love and attn as possible. BG has been mastering Prince music since the very beginning and surely knows what sound prince would have preferred.

10. ad180

I totally agree with you about Bernie’s work on Prince’s records. I know a little bit about the inner workings of Legacy, and sadly I’m pretty sure they use SST for everything. I really hope that changes and they utilize people like Grundman, Bellman and Gray.

sunspot42, Turntable and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I really wanted to wait on the 10 LP set. Rumors of diminishing supplies kind of forced my hand to order now. It’s already >$300 on Amazon and back ordered on Acoustic Sounds (that usually means they’ll never get it).

It’s not sold out everywhere yet but apparently all available copies have been distributed with no more to come.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Has anyone bought the 4 LP purple box? I know the contents are the the same as first 4 discs in the 10LP, but I can’t find a description or unboxing to see the inside. Are the records just in paper sleeves or 3 cardboard jackets like the 10 LP?

I really wish they’d have done the main album as a gatefold like they did the CD to match the rest of the discs in the set. Double albums in single pocket jackets have always been a pet-peeve.

I’d love if the 4LP box housed the 4 discs is separate jackets inside.

Surely someone on here has bought or seen an open box by now??

Matthew Tate and sunspot42 like this.
  13. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I have nothing to complain about this set. What a treasure . Even the 7” /promo/12” record is great , worthless mono mixes aside
    Please keep on killing me with more Prince reissues like this one

14. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Are these paper sleeves or cardboard jackets?

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Love this set so much. I got the CD/DVD set. A few thoughts:

1. Why did they make the packaging so wide? it's mostly empty air. The individual CD gatefolds could have been made way slimmer with the same art, and the box would have been more compact and dense, which I think would make it feel nicer, personally. As it stands now, it feels lightweight and empty, when it should feel like a substantial, concrete artifact. And also, I don't care for it taking up more space on my shelf than is necessary! :)
    2. I'm legitimately surprised by how poor the audio is on the live DVD. My expectations weren't high either: I was expecting a soundboard mix, which I guess is what they have, and it can't really be cleaned up. But man, I basically can't understand a single word that Prince sings, and there's hardly any definition to the individual instruments. It's murky and mushy throughout, and I expected something a little better. I guess that's probably why they didn't ever release it back in the day, even though they had gone through the trouble of taping it with multiple cameras and even some zooms etc. Seems weird that they wouldn't have multi-tracked the audio too. Oh well. The live CD from the previous month is pretty solid, although the performances feel a little tentative in a few spots. Really wish they had the multis from the video'ed show. But the performance is great, and I'm glad they included it.
    3. Weird how Prince does no guitar solos at all on the live sets! Dez is no slouch though, and I guess that's why Prince assigned him all the lead guitar duties on this tour. Wish there were more Jill Jones on the DVD concert - she's so attractive on camera!
    4. I think the promo and 7-inch mixes get in the way on disc two. I'm glad they're included, but they probably should have been on a final disc instead. Disc 2 should have been the b-sides (which we mostly already have), the alternate takes of the album cuts from discs 3-4 (International Lover, Something in the Water, Delirious), and maybe the extended dance mix of Little Red Corvette (you know, the stuff that relates to the album but offers something legitimately different). Then that would have cleared the way for the legitimately unreleased stuff to have its own whole thing on discs 4-5.
    5. I don't mind that they left Extralovable and Lust U Always off the set, but clicking through PrinceVault and the bootlegs I have on my hard drive, there's much more from the era that they left off. Just demos from the Time and Vanity 6 stuff (that didn't end up on Originals) could have been another great disc. And then other stuff too. This is a highly generous set, but it's hard not to mourn what they decided not to include.

All in all, I give this set 9/10. Well done to all involved. More of this, please. I think we could get deluxe Prince sets for years to come without diminishing quality, if they do it right. What a gold mine.

16. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

They are paper sleeves, however the vinyl itself is packed in black polylined square inner sleeves - extremely high quality way to produce the pressings and how all vinyl pressings should be done.

I have put all mine vinyl into stk "U" shaped poly sleeves so I can insert into the paper sleeves with the lyrics etc easily.

Matthew Tate and groovelocked like this.
  17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Any ideas on what is next in the Prince Estate and Warners release schedule in 2020?

I would love it to be Sign Of The Times deluxe vinyl - imagine the Vault gems from the recordings of this time period.

Jayseph, aseriesofsneaks, 905 and 2 others like this.
  18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I'd rather either Dream Factory and/or Crystal Ball as originally intended be released.

Matthew Tate and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I agree, but Sony have the rights to those albums so not answering my question.

I am asking what will Warners work on and release next?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Parade/Under the Cherry Moon would be my preferred option - I presume that Warners have the rights to that as it's a soundtrack.

21. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

According to an 'insider' at prince.org, a Parade box has been in the works for a while. And this 'insider' actually has a good track record.

That, plus Warner's rightsholding, makes me think that this box is very likely coming up.

So long as the 1999 box makes a decent profit.

ispace, 905, wolfram and 8 others like this.
  22. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

I'm hoping next year we get originals vol 2 which continues with selections from the early to mid 1980's.

I want G-Spot, Jerk Out, All Day, All Night.

And also another 2 deluxe sets. Parade would be my first choice.

23. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I like vinyl and all, but can we really afford a Sign O' The Times deluxe vinyl set?
    If they managed to pull off a 10 LP set off of 1999, SOTT deluxe could be twice the size of that.
    B-Sides, 12" mixes, outtakes (we already have 2 discs worth of outtakes, including bootleg releases & Crystal Ball), early versions, Dream Factory, Camille... the list just goes on and on.

Turntable, CBackley and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. ad180

They could approach that album differently and concentrate only on SOTT, B-Sides and alt mixes, a live concert and maybe the movie.

That said, there are also a number of outtakes (Cosmic Day, Emotional Pump, Euphoria Highway, and many others) that were recorded around this time. Some were for other artists, some we don't know. I'm sure there is much more in the Vault that we don't know about. Some of those might find a home on an SOTT deluxe set.

I'd love a separate box set that highlights "the road to SOTT":
    • 2LPs for a Dream Factory sequence
    • 1LP of Dream Factory tracks from other proposed sequences
    • 3LP for Crystal Ball
    • 1LP for extra Crystal Ball tracks
    • 1LP for Camille

That's 8 LPs, and they could probably stretch that to 10LPs without much problem. :D

25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’ve been playing some of the records from my 10-LP Super Deluxe set. Unfortunately the first two LPs so far have a bowl warp that was hard to detect just by looking at the record alone, but when put on the platter each LP has one side that barely contacts the platter at all. Ugh.

Matthew Tate likes this.