"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

A calming peace fell upon the land with all delighting in wondrous contentment with goodwill towards all.

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

5th listen cranked so good! This album is an absolute MONSTER!!! Will comment more later and then not much after that as I want to sit back and enjoy all of the posts from all of you incredible fans that have taken this thread on one amazing "Detour" from some of the other nonsense that goes on from time to time....when you get this special record!

3. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

This thread is going to go nuts when the copies start arriving. Can't wait!

4. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Johnny: 10, Jethro: 0

You're killing me, Johnny! :yikes:

5. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

You can download the WCPO app on Amazon Fire and watch it live right now.

Proof of concept. Watching it right now.

Bomber1 likes this.
  6. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

I'm watching right on their website

Humbuster, scotti and omikron like this.
  7. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

We build up these tough guy rock star images in our minds but Pete and Roger are human and this still haunts them and hurts them to this day.

They can't help but feel guilty on some level even though they didn't even know about it during the show.

Touching and sad stuff.

Humbuster, Fullbug, dee and 6 others like this.
  8. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I’m sure this has already been posted, so apologies, but on Sirius XM Deep Tracks channel 27, Friday December 6, 12PM

Inside "Who" with Pete Townshend The Who co-founder Pete Townshend gives the inside story of each song on the band's 12th studio album - "Who"

https://www.siriusxm.com/deeptracks/weeklyschedule

ggergm, tdavis0903, J_D__ and 6 others like this.
  9. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Any photographic evidence of the emory board? That's awesome, actually. Very smart.

I get into hearing all about Pete's (and mainly John's) gear through the years but I've been a bit lost with this Strat era for the past 20+ years. One of my favorite sites: Pete’s Gear: Pete Townshend Guitar Gear | Pete Townshend’s Guitar Gear | Whotabs

EDIT: nevermind, I found an image on the link I just posted lol (helps to look, huh? DUH!)

[​IMG]

Fullbug, scotti and Bomber1 like this.
  10. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

They are replaying the show on loop. Bill, Roger & Pete were all very eloquent. Glad they are finally going back to Cincinnati!

Herman Schultz and omikron like this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well what a 5th listen! Have to say it was not fair that the original street date was 11/22 and they delayed it to 12/6 with some able to get it it early. Won't say anymore...

When you hear this amazing record on your system of choice, you are going to realize just how bad a$$! this music is. I can now say, for me this is with out a doubt their best album since Quadrophenina!

Just listen to the SS stutter from the line "Snotty Young Kids" during "I Don't Wanna Get Wise" and tell me you don't go, fing A! or something like that...

There is something so magical about this record, it's just the most awesome musical gift they could have ever given to their fans!

I almost wished they would have called the album "Who's Back" with Roger and Pete having their backs to the cover and doing you know what...i.e. WN style.

Roger's voice has the swagger and delivery from the classic days and Pete just seems to be having such a blast being Pete! "Who Gives A F$$K" indeed!

Now here is my wish, could Roger and Pete please give some of the special magical pills they took to make this outstanding record, and let Mick and Keith have a taste when they make the new "Stones" album!

Performance...11/10...Sound (vinyl) 9/10...Just a fan, just a fan, just a fan...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  12. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

13. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

14. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Total of 12 USA 2020 Tour Dates at this point. 6 in Vegas....

15. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Love all 4 of the new tracks i've heard, & feel they all sound very cohesive & homogenous together, as they should ! & hearing just the live versions of Hero Ground Zero.....it's pretty easy to imagine that fitting in too....its not a given that everything sounds like it works together as one unified package-album....look at Endless Wire for example.....good but zigzagging with nearly every style that exists...So Ive heard enough to know the album works as one cohesive whole I think....

The 2 big ones I'm most excited to hear are Street Song & Rocking In Rage...I want to hear everything but especially those 2, based on all the reviews i've read....besides those I'm most excited to hear the 4 bonus tracks !!!!!!....for one thing the bonus songs are described & mentioned far less, in most of the 20-30 reviews so far.

Two of the new bonus tracks, "GOT NOTHING TO PROVE" & "SAND" Are actually 1965-66 Townshend home demos. Apparently Townshend ( & others ) have cleaned them up & added some new overdubs, Rickenbacker electric 12 string, addtional backround vocals, guitar feedback sounds, & a poppy horn section on "got nothing to prove"....but none of the insiders, fans who scored an early copy, or ANY of the many album reviews. Specify whether or not either or both songs have bass & drums , & whether they sound like masters or 60s home demos, or what exactly.....We do know Townshend sings them both...apparently zero Daltrey involvement ? So I'm curious about those particulars...and whether the WHO 2019 album, is even where they belong in my WHO collection...or whether they'll fit better as A Quick One 1966 bonus tracks, or where exactly..

The other 2 bonus tracks, also sung by Townshend, 'This Gun Will Misfire" & "Danny & My Ponies" are definitely recent studio recordings from the 2019 album sessions. Both socio-political songs, the former about gun violence, the latter about the homeless. Gun Will Misfire is supposedly psychedelic rock...& Ponie's is folky. . I suspect Zak plays on Gun Will Misfire , because the lyric sheet was shown on a plectrum in the new album vlogs, & other than the only description I could find was about Ponie's being folky sounding... Why 2 of the 3 proper Pete lead vocals are the only 2, proper studio bonus tracks, no idea, hasn't been explained...because they are the weakest tunes ? Or the least commercial ? Because of the social commentary ? Because WHO was designed primarily as a vehicle for Daltrey's voice ? Because Ringo said he'd only play if Pete sang...because the Polydor A&R guy browbeat Townshend to knock off 2 bonus tracks in a 60 minute busking, to add a few sales...I don't know !

scotti likes this.
  16. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Really? What month ?

17. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

April/May on the site now

J_D__ and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  18. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Cool idea that more than likely would've made for a cool album cover.

You're way more creative than the knucklehead who suggested to Townshend to simply call the album WHO.

19. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

About 30 odd pages ago I posted that I'm taking a mate who is a mild fan to the Wembley Arena gig in April, but that he'd dismissed the new songs without hearing them saying that he wasn't interested in them, only the hits.

Popped over one of the reviews to him on WhatsApp saying things were looking promising, and he replied saying he'd already pre-ordered the album. Surprised me a bit - and I don't want to interrogate him about it, but presumably he heard one of the new tracks and liked it enough to give the album a try. Anecdote isn't data, but I didn't tell him to go and buy the album, so maybe it has piqued a bit of interest outside the narrow fan circle.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Would I be going out on a limb to call both of those songs modern day Rock anthems, this "Who" fan does not!

I bet your review will take this thread well over 100 pages when you finish...ha! And looking forward to every word you write!

2 more days and look out world, there is a new band in town and they are going to kick your a$$ with musical greatness!!!!! Got my SHM version also ordered from my local store and got it for $34...love the fact the four bonus songs are on it!

21. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Looks like my purchase of the completist set from The Who's official online store was declined by my bank. And now it looks like that set is no longer offered. Additionally, the deluxe edition is also no longer offered from the official site. What the heck is going on over there?

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  22. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

I'm surprised a bit that there doesn't seem to be any scheduled musical appearances on any of the talk shows... when Endless Wire came out I know they did Letterman.

23. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Because they're at home! There are in the UK.

24. bcliff33

bcliff33 Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me. You can still get the set, but I think only from the UK store.

https://store.thewho.com/*/*/WHO-Completist-s-Set/697C0000000?utm_campaign=TheWho20190924&utm_content=&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=Website&utm_umguk=www.thewho.com/

25. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

They've probably lost thousands of website orders because of this.