Do you count non physical product that are in your streaming library as part of "your collection"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Now they steal your smartphone.

2. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Interesting question really. I'd say no. No sense of ownership.

3. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I list it for cataloging purposes but it's definitely not "part of my collection."

4. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I thought the same until a year or two ago when my son convinced me to try streaming in addition to the normal listening of my physical collection. I was skeptical I would like it like many here.

While I still buy physical media, streaming does have it's advantages and can actually sound pretty good as well. It's just a supplement for me when I can't use my home rig or want to check something out I don't have. Often it leads to a purchase.

It will never replace my collection but I like to think I have the best of both worlds now.

5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

But your streaming account can be accessed on many devices under your user ID. You can buy a basic smartphone for 30 bucks at Walmart. Ofcourse having all your cds ripped and backed up on both an external harddrive as well as in the cloud is advisable.

MungoMusic, schnitzerphilip and Grant like this.
  6. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

yep. they are part of the collection. otherwise they wouldn't be sorted and stored in my library.

7. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

8. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Yes, but as a separate category.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If I don't own it, I don't even catalog it.

10. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

as much as I count the game "free cell" on my computer as a part of my other games I have available in my house. Monoply, etc....

11. sleeptowin

i guess this is going to be another long rambling thread with people posting that don't understand streaming. like all the others.

of course its part of the collection

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

These few posts are, for me, the gist of this thread. And some good discussions (partly) so far.

And this is where @schnitzerphilip and I diverge somewhat. My music collection has been curated over time, and I don't just mean physical media. Digital downloads have been around for at least a decade now and I do have albums there that I definitely consider as part of that collection. They aren't easy to find anymore, in any format, and if a fire swept through my man cave tomorrow and I didn't have any backups, I'd be as upset about losing those files as I would some of my LP's. Plus they sit in my digital library alongside my CD and vinyl rips so yes, they are part of my collection.

Streaming, although very convenient and currently the same SQ as my CD's (given lossless streaming), I don't treat the same way. @schnitzerphilip is correct that if one used Apple Music and their upload function, the line is very blurred but two things of note. One - I've seen a number of these services come and go over the years and although Apple likely isn't going to fold tomorrow, I simply prefer media ownership..."just in case". And second, I do like the choice of jumping ship whenever I feel like it with these services. I treat them as discovery and initial media consumption but my setup today allows me to jump to whatever I want to, whenever I want. My internal collection allows me to do that since it stays unchanged. It's also why I keep a legacy DAP around as I can keep that running indefinitely, as long as I can keep replacing the battery.

That's just my preference. A balance of leveraging streaming as a tool for music discovery, but not becoming completely dependent on it.

13. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Someone else mentioned that they can also be stolen out of my car! Oh my!

I guess I could have saved some confusion by saying "legally taken away". The way I understand it, i can only access songs in my streaming library so long as the streaming service remains in business or has the license from the record company to have the songs or I am a subscriber to the service. Any of those legal situations ends, and I lose access to the songs.

Whereas when I buy a cassette or vinyl LP or CD or even pay 99 cents for a digital MP3 and download it to my computer, I legally own the copy of those songs, and they cannot be legally taken away from me by the streaming service, record company, etc.

That is the critical distinction as to whether I regard them as part of "my collection" or not.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

One question which this thread poses: how much does one listen to music for its own sake, for the enjoyment of music, and how much is one a collector,

Much like people who collect baseball cards, stamps, antiques from colonial America, sports memorabilia, comic books, early automobile parts, historic firearms, etc. etc. Collecting for its own sake.

Nothing wrong with either approach. But neither type of person needs to feel superior to the other or needs to try to convert the other.

In my experience a person either has collector in their DNA or they do not.

MungoMusic likes this.
  15. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Because of Roon - yes. Complete integration of local files and albums added from streaming services.

16. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If I were to include all of my lossy and lossless digital files, it would MASSIVELY eclipse my physical collection with respect to my physical music collection. :yikes:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Nope. It's not property, it is available until Spotify/Tidal desides to remove it. And files have for me the same value as audio cassette copies: none

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  18. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

It strikes me that streaming is the new bogeyman on this board. How to attack streaming without coming out and saying “Do you hate streaming?” Oh, let’s have a thread which makes streamers think about how they are no longer really collecting! That will make the streamers realize the error of their ways and allow for some streaming bashing under the guise of the seemingly innocent thread.

it reminds me so much of the many threads over the years bashing newer music in increasingly creative ways with seemingly more tenuous connections to the real topic at hand.

I hope I am wrong because I think collectors and streamers should coexist in peace and harmony, united in a deeper love of music than the general population.’

19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I have a huge book collection thanks to my liberry card.

20. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

No one will forbid you to stream.

21. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Ha!

22. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I really hate this argument.

The odds of cds or records being stolen from you in your lifetime is maybe 1 in a thousand. Or 1 in 100. Let's be really negative (forum rules!) and say 1 out of 10.

The odds of digital media being taken away from you is 100%.

I lose stuff on my digital streaming playlists every week. Granted my tastes aren't mainstream so your mileage may vary.

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

No, it has to be physical media.

24. sleeptowin

use a different provider. ive had nothing taken away from me ever. not one song. because i have a digital library that merges with what apple also offer.
    for this very reason i can stream mono Hendrix releases and itll never be taken away from me. even if the house burnt down and the hard drives vanish.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  25. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Streaming is like beer. You don't own it. You merely rent it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.