2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Can we please get a thread of all your custom album covers.
    would love to see your other work.
    :edthumbs:

Exotiki likes this.
  2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

By the way, one of the singles we sampled was Please Please Me, and the little dropout towards the end is there, so we can be sure it's not sourced from the digital 2009 remaster. So it's surely sourced from a copy tape, just like the 2014 PPM LP (same applies to PS I Love You and Ask Me Why).

jtiner likes this.
  3. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

This was quite interesting to watch, All analog except where they couldn't just like has been said.

4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Really appreciate that they took the time to give us a more in-depth look at what went into this set!

Tommyboy, AnalogJ and jtiner like this.
  5. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

So they used the original singles as reference and didn't notice that "Ask Me Why" had less echo?

And I stand corrected about the source of "Love Me Do"...

6. A well respected man

Ok, so a total of 4 songs come fom digital: Love Me Do, She Loves You, Free As A bird and Real Love. That means PS I Love You, Please Please Me and Ask Me Why are analog, we don't know if they used the LP master (given Ask Me Why is the LP version) or a copy tape. If they didn't want to use the master in 2014, why would they now?

Well, with this full disclosure, conspiration theories should be put to rest. But I thought the same when the producer cleared up the sources, so...

7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

... you can't keep a good conspiracy down :)

supermd, SunSon, Mickey2 and 2 others like this.
  8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Wouldn't you add a zero?

9. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Interesting regarding the multi-artist singles reels; I never knew that. Also interesting that all the cutting prep work was done with files to protect the tapes. Excellent work, Sean Magee.

ronbow, BeatleJWOL, jmxw and 2 others like this.
  10. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

According to Mr Magee love me Do was sourced from a original UK love me do with about a second of a Sweden pressing spliced in to cover up the distortion on the UK

Many people believe it was the inverse. It was mainly a Sweden copy with a UK bit dropped in to cover up a bit of distortion on the Swedish copy

Who's got it wrong?

11. Exotiki

Also I really got to get my hands on this sets She Loves You with its new digitally improved edit

Yayastone likes this.
  12. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

I said a few pages back I thought She Loves You was one of the digital pressings.
    The original’s top end noticeably changes between the edits which is vastly improved upon in the new pressing, which would probably be hard to do cutting straight from the original tapes.

Chris

Exotiki and Paul H like this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

He gets it backwards: he says a UK 45 was used, but there was distortion in one spot, so they had to edit in that spot from the Swedish 45, but it's just the opposite. It's the Swedish 45 with the distortion in that spot, not the UK 45. That is, they used the Swedish 45 for most of the song and edited in that small bit from the UK 45. It's unclear why they didn't completely use the UK 45.

Not sure if the PPM LP master was used directly, or the analog dub made for the 2014 box, but as previously noted, the issue with the 2014 box was the splices between songs were bleeding and gunking up the tape head. Since there was no way to pause between songs to clean the head, a copy was made, copying each song individually and then editing the copies together. Since the singles are cut one song at a time, that *shouldn't* have been an issue. Whether they actually cut from the master is unclear...as is why the LP master was used in any form.

As far as She Loves You goes, Magee claims the original 45 didn't have the problems, but the last I knew, it did.

Magee's got it wrong.

For those interested in tape boxes, here are the shots of tape AR 58407 seen in the video:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few interesting things:

- It looks like Alan Rouse compiled this tape on 5 April, 1990. Presumably the other singles reels were compiled around the same time, also by Rouse. Why April 1990?

- Everything on top seems to match up with John Barrett's notes, as does the stereo mix of She's A Woman, but it's unclear what those versions of Your Mother Should Know are. At the moment I'm not seeing any reference to either AR 11374 or T.L. 16911 in Barrett's notes.

- Interesting, although in retrospect not surprising, that Let It Be is NAB, not IEC/CCIR. Although...Lewisohn only indicates mixing at EMI on 4 January 1970. Barrett lists RS1 and RS2 done that day as "ROUGH REMIX"; I guess the final mix was actually done at Olympic, possibly the next day?

jtiner, BeatleJWOL, Onder and 8 others like this.
  14. Exotiki

Also i find it odd that when referring to free as a bird and real loves tapes they show a clip of B-roll where a tape box says:

PQ ENCODED
    CD MASTER

Does that mean they cut directly from the 44.1/16 CD master? What does PQ ENCODED mean?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

what is PQ coding? - Gearslutz

Yosi and Exotiki like this.
  16. Exotiki

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The fact that She’s a Woman was cut out to this reel is also particularly interesting... why not kept together with “I Feel Fine?” or other era-appropriate singles? Seems it was tacked on here last minute or something. I love these little glimpses of the master boxes, for all the armchair archeologists here…

Paul H and Exotiki like this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure why, but it was always that way. The mono master of I Feel Fine was on T.L. 15767, while She's A Woman was on T.L. 22588, as above. At least...those are what are noted at the time of Barrett's notes. One would think that maybe I Feel Fine was cut out to the mono master of "Oldies", but according to Barrett that tape is/was T.L. 16357A/B. Nor was it apparently cut to the "Million Sellers" EP reel, which is/was T.L. 15406.

Yosi and MrRom92 like this.
  19. Exotiki

I think it may have been a hand made font. But hey, if you want to try and are successful I would be more then happy to include it in V2.0! :righton:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

"Conspiration"?? I recall that when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. :D

Anyway, I the notion that these were all cut from digital was debunked a while back, but that was an attempt to explain why the overall sound didn't seem right.

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I still haven't written off getting the box. I think if I saw one under $100, I'd buy it.

22. A well respected man

It was, but some people were not convinced, that was what I was referring to.

Exotiki likes this.
  23. A well respected man

That was interesting. Maybe that's where the Ask Me Why issue came from. Maybe they didn't include the single master in those reels for some reason (someone decided the LP version was the "correct"? Or they just didn't realize?)

jtiner likes this.
  24. Exotiki

Unless you want it as a display object I would recommend getting the World Records Box or the 1982 “blue box” singles collection

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It seems unlikely that those tapes wouldn't have also been recompiled, but that project did happen after the last time the 45 tape of Ask Me Why was used. Unfortunately Alan Rouse isn't around to ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.