2019 Beatles UK Singles boxed set (Was: "Beatles Mystery Boxed Set")*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That bad, eh?

Well, I have the Mono Masters from the Beatles In Mono box if I truly want to hear those songs with the best sound. Aren't the international covers and the booklet worth having to some degree? And what is the World Records going for on the market?

Exotiki likes this.
  2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, precisely that 1990 date you mentioned made me think that's a possibility. It's hard to guess the reason why though.

Also, didn't Magee say in an interview (probably after the mono box) that he had never seen the PPM/AMW master? I seem to recall that.

3. A well respected man

I would say the covers (except Day Tripper), the booklet and box and the discs with the labels from different countries. It's a thing of beauty.

The sound, from what I heard at my friends', is hit or miss. Some of them are really good (we really enjoyed Get Back/ DLMD, as good or better than in Mono Masters).

4. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Not bad parsee. But generally people are saying these are a downgrade from those boxes

But like me, you have the 2014 mono masters: so we’re golden! :righton:

AnalogJ likes this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Alas, I'm not aware of that.

Of course, I doubt Magee does any sort of vault research. It's likely he just uses the tapes given to him to use.

6. A well respected man

lukpac likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

8. A well respected man

Ok, so let's say he was preparing the Mono Masters album. If the PPM master is in the same reel with other singles, wouldn't he have seen it?

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

We don't know where the PPM/Ask Me Why 45 masters reside today. To my knowledge, we've only seen the contents of 2 of the 1990 compilation reels, AR 58407 above, and AR 58403:

[​IMG]

The numbering suggests there are at least 3 more such reels (AR 58404, AR 58405, and AR 58406), and it's possible there are more. I'd have to think about what other Past Masters/Mono Masters tracks would have been recompiled, keeping in mind that some of the stereo mixes were apparently placed on the Red, Blue, and Rock and Roll Music reels.

All of that is to say, we don't know if the PPM/Ask Me Why tapes got placed on those 1990 reels, or if they did, what else is on the reel(s).

You're about a page behind.

A well respected man and Dinstun like this.
  10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It's interesting to see that The Inner Light is "missing" from that reel. Also, I'm intrigued as to why the 1980's picture disc catalogue numbers are quoted, and only in some instances.

Henrik Jutbring likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

According to Barret, Lady Madonna and The Inner Light were on different reels, T.L. 18876 and T.L. 18770 respectively. The latter reel also contained Hey Jude and Revolution. Presumably the 1990 AR reel contains all 3 of those songs.

Paul H likes this.
  12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Am I the only one who feels a little sad that the original reels (and their numbers) have been replaced by compilations? Its similar to losing the old Parlophone Rxxxx catalogue numbers. Yes, I am, aren't I? :)

My conspiracy theory: back in April 1990 Rouse had a listen to the reel(s) that contained Please Please Me and Ask Me Why and decided that they were superfluous because perfectly serviceable copies were on the PPM LP reel and didn't add them to the compilation reels. I doubt he binned them, but I strongly suspect that there's nothing on the compilation reels to suggest that the original reel exists. Hence, it doesn't get used.

It would certainly explain why the original versions of those songs haven't appeared on any format since the early 1980's.

Calico likes this.
  13. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

But this doesn't make sense. It "seems" that the Swedish "Love Me Do" may have been sourced from UK vinyl because of the misspelling of Paul's name...

Why would they predominantly use the Swedish single if that was the case?

And if the Swedish single was cut from tape, why is there no trail?

Do we know if any overseas pressings (of Ringo's Love Me Do) were cut from tape?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No idea. You're expecting logic?

Well...was it cut from tape?

And what about Germany? And the other countries that released the Ringo Love Me Do?

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. Exotiki

Version 1.5 is here!

(I completely redid the sleeve from scratch: Digitally trickery used to fill in the background to eliminate the use of the lower quality sources. Better Text, Better Signature Extraction, and more faithful photo reproduction/Contrast.)

Beatles Singles Collection 2019 Sleeve:
    [​IMG]

Brodnation Day Tripper Sleeve 1.5v:
    [​IMG]

16. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

The single mix of Ask Me Why was considered for Mono Masters in 2009, but wasn't deemed different enough.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've heard this before...what's the quote?

18. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Agreed.

They investigated that in 1982 and decided there wasn't a tape.

That is the question we need answering.

19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I'm afraid you're going to have to trust me on that Luke! :winkgrin:

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Right, but all that means is they couldn't find a tape in 1982. Beyond that is likely a mystery. Cut from tape and lost? Cut from tape somewhere other than Sweden? Cut from the UK 45...somewhere?

Well, without seeing a quote, I'm wondering if they actually listened to the tape, or just a copy of the 45. Or perhaps were just told it wasn't different enough by...someone.

21. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

Just received my box from jpc.de (160€ with one-time 20% coupon) :)

I realized how cold the package is from sitting in mail trucks for a long time. I decided not to open the box imediately so there would be no temperature shock. Could exposing the cold records suddenly to room temperature warp the discs?

22. Exotiki

I’m pretty sure it’s the opposite. Going from very hot to very cold can cause slight warps.

But it generally is a good idea to let freezing objects sit for a little while and get acclimatized

mihu likes this.
  23. Nogardo

Nogardo Active Member

Great Work!

I never noticed there was somebody in thebackground. Who is he?

Exotiki likes this.
  24. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

It's called damage control. Fremer's bad review has obviously had an impact on sales. This is designed to rectify that (to the extent possible).

Sean Magee on remastering The Beatles: The Singles Collection

"Kevin Howlett is now very much an insider in the Beatles camp, having completed a number of prestigious Apple Records re-issue projects for them. "

Kevin Howlett – Beatles Blog

25. A well respected man

I don't think so. They make videos like that for every major project, including the acclaimed mono box.

Tommyboy, BeatleJWOL and Onder like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.