SME will exit the tonearm retail and OEM business with immediate effect - this is a bummer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by geoffr, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash Thread Starter

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

SME has gone nuts. They've raised their prices so high they're literally in the 'Ferrari and Maserati' end of the business and nothing more.

This is just more greed.... they're forcing people to buy their turntables instead of just their tonearms.

3. jrjhoe

jrjhoe Forum Resident

Wow, this seems like another awful move from their side...

Cyclone Ranger and jusbe like this.
  4. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Only a matter of time before this most respected of engineering companies destroys its reputation. Happens to so many UK brands once the suits take over.

5. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I don't feel forced to do anything. :)

asindc, Cyclone Ranger, Kyhl and 11 others like this.
  6. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I hope to get an SME turntable next so this doesn't really bother me.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Interesting. I'd be curious to look at their books for the arm side of the business in recent years. More and more people are buying TTs as "integrated units" with arms included so I'd imagine the market for their arms has shrunk considerably since their 70s heyday. Companies like this are probably going to go extinct as time goes on or face tough choices. If they can't get their production numbers up and the prices at a competitive level perhaps they can move to the ultra-high end market. If that doesn't work out...

For the market gap I'd imagine for mid-level enthusiasts that need a standalone arm, they'll just move to Jelco, Rega, modded Rega, Audiomods, etc.

Andrea_Bellucci, MGW and McLover like this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

9. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I just checked out their turntable prices in google. I'm sitting here in a thread about Ferrari pricing. Ha!

Time for me to move on before I tick someone off with my opinion on this sort of thing. ;)

jusbe, caracallac and mkane like this.
  10. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Excellent engineering but better sounding arms at lower cost these days ex SMEV ownner

jusbe likes this.
  11. Ralph Karsten

Ralph Karsten Forum Resident

I'm not worried. I moved to a Triplanar years ago- its a better arm than the SMEs IMO. And now that Technics is back in the game I simply don't understand why someone would want an SME turntable. Looks nice- expensive talking points, but IMO again I think Technics is a better option.

VinylRob and Sterling1 like this.
  12. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot... Isn't modding a massive part of their user base? Now you can only use their arms on 7-20k SME tables??

jusbe likes this.
  13. glide

glide Forum Resident

“We were so good at doing something, we decided to stop doing it.”

uhhhhh...wut?

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Here's something to consider here - how many sans-tonearm turntables are sold today? I bought a stand-alone SME tonearm to pair with my Garrard build, but how popular a concept in the overall audio scene is that these days? Of people who own SME V arms, what percentage of them are on SME tables? Of people who are in the market for tonearms, how many of them balk at SME prices and go to Jelco or Schick?

There's always been a perspective around here that audio companies are extremely capricious in their operations and like to intentionally frustrate their customers for no reason. Shure allegedly had a profitable cartridge business and decided to stop making them to be mean, etc. Next up is SME, who can't possibly be making a data-driven decision here and must be being evil.

VinylRob, SeeDeeFirth, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  15. IGD Positive

I don't think many people looking at Technics turntables are shopping them against SME.

16. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Waiting for Thorens to make my turntable completely non-replaceable. First Shure got out of the cart biz, now SME getting out of the arm biz. Happy I got mine but to replace it would cost 10x's what I paid just 10 years ago. No wonder I like Schiit.

jeffsab likes this.
  17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I wouldn't kick that Synergy System out of bed! Beautiful.:tiphat:

18. james

james Summon The Queen

sure, it must make sense for them, but it also (at least for me personally) now guarantees that I will never purchase a SME product. That is, unless they plan on coming out with products that compete with Technics, Rega, etc.

jusbe likes this.
  19. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Bad call SME.... :shake:

Cyclone Ranger, jusbe and caracallac like this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

SME products were already astronomically expensive before this announcement, so I don't really know what changed. I don't know the entire history of the brand save for the classic products like the 3009, but it doesn't seem they've ever been interested in the Rega/Technics price point. I was lucky enough to score an M2-12R back when they were merely a small fortune vs. WTF, but even then I could have bought an entire RP6 or 1200GR for that price.

Seafinch, jusbe, googlymoogly and 2 others like this.
  21. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

My guess is the new owners don't want all the customer service questions and handholding that go along with the sale of separates. There are so many folks getting into vinyl playback for the first time that I imagine newbie questions are worse than ever.

That said, I think it's a big mistake for SME to no longer sell arms separately. There are still many, many tables out there that could benefit from a new arm. And what about an existing owner of an SME arm who wants to upgrade to a more expensive model? It just seems very short-sighted.

Personally I would never choose a SME arm or table, but that's just me. Many people appear to like them.

22. IGD Positive

They have never really had products that competed with Technics and Rega so why would they now?

caracallac likes this.
  23. james

james Summon The Queen

expand market share? profit?

jusbe likes this.
  24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Saved me a grand on new SME arm support board for Acoustic Solid. No SME for me ))

25. IGD Positive

If they were looking to do that, why not go all the way and make turntables that compete with U-Turn and Audio Technica?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.