Rega Planar 3 vs Technics SL-1500C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pretty.Odd., Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Agreed. Why not? The Technics army is on the offensive every day.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Who isn’t biased? Kevin is one of my favorites in the business.

3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Maybe. The facts in that article are...facts.

4. Bob_in_OKC

Every Technics defender here has to have the last word?

5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

When you put "?" in a sentence you demand a reply.

RS2099 and Sterling1 like this.
  6. punkmusick

For example:

7. Bob_in_OKC

That’s called a rhetorical question. It’s a device that has been around forever.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  8. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

9. punkmusick

Are you in this thread just to create controversy?

10. Bob_in_OKC

Yes.

11. punkmusick

It was a rethorical question.

Antwurp, ubiknik, RS2099 and 8 others like this.
  12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

If they are excellent tables and people like me had some trouble with belt drives (speed consistency issues) but none with Technics direct drives, why on earth wouldn't we promote and defend them to naysayers?? I don't understand your thinking whatsoever.

As I read more of your comments, it's clear you're trolling or don't know as much as you think you do. But I do like the ignore feature. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  13. Bob_in_OKC

Touché. But in all seriousness, I wanted to answer the question. Yes. It’s controversial. So is the whole basis of the thread.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I looked at everything under about $2k and ended up with the SL1210GR. I would strongly consider the Technics you mentioned.

bru87tr and patient_ot like this.
  15. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb Thread Starter

I have a Rega Planar 3 now and there are things I do not like about it. Cannot stand the manual change for switching between 33 and 45. I also just love the build quality to it.

Been looking into the Clearaudio Concept as well...

displayname likes this.
  16. Bob_in_OKC

Moving on from the other stuff, what is attractive enough about the Clearaudio Concept to consider it? I’ve owned one and wasn’t crazy about it.

snorker likes this.
  17. Pretty.Odd.

What did you not like about it?

18. Bob_in_OKC

Mostly the tonearm. Finicky setup. Funny feel to it. Also didn’t like the absence of a dust cover, but could have gotten over it. I decided I like having a mat. The overall tone was a little different, another thing I could have gotten used to.

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Not to be critical of Rega or their fans (sincerely) but I would get the 1500C without thinking twice- over a Rega P6 or the outgoing RP-8, much less the P-3. And I am serious based on my ears and experiences, not fanboy goggles.

Antwurp, RS2099, bru87tr and 2 others like this.
  20. Pretty.Odd.

Curious as to why?

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A lot of people don't like the arm they use with the magnetic bearings. In some environments it may be sensitive to footfalls.

displayname likes this.
  22. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If you're going to spend $1000 on a turntable, you should audition them and decide for yourself. That being said, I tend to think as a Rega owner, a $100 upgrade of the subplatter is recommended. No point spending the money on a GrooveTracer, to me. If you go that route, you might as well get the Planar 6 as you'll get the Neo power supply.

displayname likes this.
  23. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I've been in forums since 1998. I've been in car, hi-fi, political, tractor, guitar, PA, Bass forums. One thing I've noticed over two decades of this is that when someone asks for suggestions on what to buy, people will suggest whatever they happen to own, unless they don't like it. In fact, sometimes it's so bad that when the OP is asking for comments about item A vs B, people who own item C will push them to item C. It's a subtle form of narcissism. And to one degree or another, we are all narcissistic.

My comment was not a slam on you, personally. It was a comment on human nature. We all do it. To a degree I'm doing it too, which is why I said that i'm biased because I insist on DD and removable head-shell.

I meant no offense and did not mean to make it seem personal. I apologise for the way it may have come across.

I'm sensitive to this subject myself, especially after watching C-Span for most of the day yesterday. It's a very important issue to me.

doctor fuse and JohnCarter17 like this.
  24. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I had 3 experiences with Rega turntables: The first, the last and the only one.

rischa likes this.
  25. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Technics does not need "defending". It's popularity was/is built on the principle of Capitalism, a better product for less money; and, indeed, Technics DD Turntables get results for relatively little money. That's not opinion, it's fact. So, when novices seek opinions about what TT to get, it's not surprising Technics users respond enthusiastically about their experience. The product has many appeals, which collectively, make it compelling: speed stability/accuracy, VTA adjustment feature, Azimuth adjustment feature, and easy cartridge alignment using the Technics alignment scheme. These features along with TT's removable headshell, precision bearings, and a plinth resistant to external vibrations, make the Technics ideal for real world applications.

RS2099, Heckto35, ubiknik and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.