Cartridge Buying Advice - $1,000 to $1,500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by slazechko, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slazechko

slazechko Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all, Looking to buy a new cartridge in the $1,000-$1500 range. It’ll be going onto my Michell Orbe w/ SME V. Preamp is a Spectral DMC 10 Delta (which has a loading switch allowing me to play with 10, 30, 100, and 800 ohms).

Currently the front runners are Hana ML, Dynavector 20x2L (both are $1200) and the “stretch the budget” option would maybe be a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star (which I can get 20% off on through my dealer, so $1600). They’re low service/retipping costs makes stretching the budget a little easier...
    I was also looking at the Audio Technica ART 9, but I think it’s a little too compliant for the SME V.

Any thoughts? I’m curious if Soundsmith is all that their literature has them cracked up to be? Are their low mass designs really that much better and worth stretching for? Or stick with the Hana or Dyna?

TIA!

displayname likes this.
  2. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

I'll bump this for you. I'm interested in the replies.

displayname and slazechko like this.
  3. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

slazechko and displayname like this.
  4. Steve4578

Steve4578 Forum Resident

I used to own the Soundsmith MIMC Star. Great sounding cartridge. I only sold it because its low compliance was not a good match with my tonearm.

slazechko likes this.
  5. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Look at 2Juki on e-bay for some real Dynavector deals. Fast shipping, honest & very easy to deal with.

mreeter, slazechko and Jeff57 like this.
  6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I highly can recommend you to get a Benz Micro Wood- this cart sounds fabulous when combined with a Michell deck and SME tonearm. As I’ve mentioned before on this forum there’s a reason why the Michell people use the Benz Micro carts while demonstrating their turntables.

geodiak, slazechko and displayname like this.
  7. slazechko

ok so about these. There’ s also a guy named Kron on audiogon who has Benz cartridges for like 1/2 price. He has a micro wood for $900, which brings it well into budget. So between him, 2juki, and others there’s some kind of “grey market”.

but what’s the catch? Risk of counterfeit cartridges? Do I lose the manufacturer’s warranty? In which case even if it’s a legit cart but I get unlucky with a defective cart, am I just out of luck?

Is there a consensus on the risk with going with 2juki or kron for this? I’m very tempted by the Benz wood at $900, but if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is, right?

8. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I know it sounds like you are set on buying a brand new cart but have you ever given it a thought about buying a used cart and getting it retipped/rebuilt? This is what I did and saved half and got prettt much a brand new cart (according to Peter at SS anyway)

9. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

No warranty on grey market items. I guess you can say 'I've been lucky so far with 1/2 doz or so purchases. 2Juki has excellent feedback.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    mreeter likes this.
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

My Ortofon Quintet Black works well for me. Good luck. :)

Lucca90 likes this.
  11. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Yes, I've had nothing but great service from this seller as well.

12. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have a VAS Nova on the way. I heard good things.

mreeter likes this.
  13. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I also have the VAS Nova Signature, a VERY good sounding Jewel:righton:

500Homeruns likes this.
  14. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Am I looking at the specs on your Spectral preamp correctly? - Gain: 45dB (MC), 30dB (MM), 10dB (line)

If this is the case you're likely going to have trouble with a LOMC cart due to low gain. With the carts you're considering I think you'll want something north of 61dB or so.

15. 500Homeruns

He might be able to use the .8mV VAS Nova, but 45db might be a little low.
    The owner of VAS can make any mV cartridge you want though.

16. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I assume along with the 10dB from the linestage he will be at 55dB. An 0.8mV cart may work ok.

500Homeruns likes this.
  17. slazechko

So I think I should be ok on gain. I used KAB’s calculator and computed:
    • 56 dB for .5 mV
    • 58 dB for .4 mV
    • 61 dB for .3 mV
    so .3 mV is probably pushing it, but I think I’ve observed a general consensus of trying to be within 2-3 dB of gain for the preamp/cartridge pair. 55 dB puts me right in that neighborhood for the Zephyr and Benz Wood low outputs, which are both 0.4 mV.

So I guess now I’m between either the “grey market” Benz Wood SL for $900, or the Soundsmith Zephyr through my dealer for $1600. Probably leaning towards the wood...
    will also have to check out VAS, I’ve not heard of them before

going to call spectral this week to make sure what I’ve said about the gain above is accurate.
    I’ll post back what they say as well as when I make a decision.

displayname likes this.
  18. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I love my Dynavector 20x2L. It tracks well, images well, and has a neutral sound with just a hint of warmth. Beautiful. I run it into a Dynavector preamp and the synergy is lovely. You can see the rest of my equipment in my profile.

19. slazechko

yeah I am a little hesitant to go used. Carts seem a little too... fragile for that. Though it sounds like a good idea to reach out to SS about that. Did you specifically get a rebuilt Soundsmith that they’d rebuilt? Seems like a trustworthy source for that

20. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

The Benz Micro Wood SL is closer to .6mV since they spec it at 3.54 cm/sec, and that is about what has been measured in tests ... Benz Micro Wood SL Review

snorker likes this.
  21. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Good decision to go for the Benz Micro Wood- you won’t be disappointed. :righton:

slazechko likes this.
  22. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I got a used Dyna 20x2L that had been used (the guy i bought it from said it had 1000 hours on it). I got it for about 1/4 or 1/5 of what a new cart cost. Sent it to Soundsmith to look it over and gp from there. They said that it was definetly worn but could rebuild it and be good as new (or better depending on the stylus one choses). I ended up going for the more expensive stylus so after everything (buying the cart and rebuild) it cost be about half of what a new cart cost. Im extremely happy with it. Its a great bang for your buck option imo

Gardo and slazechko like this.
  23. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

AT Art9 , Ortofon cadenza Blue , London super gold , wood Grado

Bods1968 and slazechko like this.
  24. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Years ago l had an Orbe/SME V/Lyra Helikon and that sounded very good ( Delos would be the equivalent now l suppose)… however the Cadenzas are nice and the Benz Micro as GyroSE suggested is a good one- good luck and do tell us how you get on.:edthumbs:

GyroSE and slazechko like this.
  25. 500Homeruns

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.