Former band members guesting on albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Punky Meadows on Angel's In the Beginning album

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

On Peter Tork’s solo album ‘Stranger Things Have Happened’ Michael Nesmith and Micky Dolenz did background vocals for the song ‘Milkshake’.

PhoffiFozz and Hep Alien like this.
  3. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Left Banke guitarist Rick Brand, who'd quit the group in late 1967 over an argument about the arrangement of 'Desiree', returned the following year to guest on banjo on their track 'Bryant Hotel' inc on their second album and issued as a single.

Madrid and Hep Alien like this.
  4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Yeah that's a strange irony. Mick was persuaded to quit midway through the recording of 1984's 'Word Of Mouth' so he's on 3 tracks on that, then his nemesis in the group Dave weirdly gets him back for his most bombastic track on 1986's 'Think Visual', then 1989's 'Uk Jive' uses the 1981 outtake 'Entertainment' featuring Avory uncredited. That means that 1993's 'Phobia' is the only Kinks studio LP to have no contribution by Avory whatsover. (In my opinion it's also their worst album, though that's a co incidence I'm pretty sure!).

Add to that that Avory also appears in the post-84 videos for 'Do It Again', 'Rock and Roll Cities' and 'The Road' and it adds up to this strange ongoing 'ghost at the feast' presence for the dethroned drummer throughout the late 80s.

jethrowup, Sean, applejam101 and 3 others like this.
  5. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

This is SHF, dammit! Ringo Starr's "Ringo" !

Zoot Marimba, Hep Alien and Chance like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Various members of Parliament/Funkadelic returned for albums after they left the band (including most of the original lineup of Funkadelic, e.g. Eddie Hazel (uncredited) appears on 3-4 tracks on Hardcore Jollies, original bass player Billy Bass Nelson also plays on a couple of cuts on that album, etc.

I often wonder if these were actual returns or just Clinton using old tracks, probably it was a mix of both, along with throwing disgruntled members a credit on an album so they could make some money. It's nearly impossible to tell what's what with that band.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Wasn't John Cale briefly brought in at some point during the Velvet's Loaded sessions? But they didn't wind up using his contributions, or something like that?

Bruso, Madrid and Hep Alien like this.
  8. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I thought the idea was former members of a band guesting on albums by that band after they'd left.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Original Boston drummer Jim Masdea played some on Third Stage. He was also on that tour.

Madrid likes this.
  10. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Good call.

Yes, he plays viola and organ on "Ocean" which was released on the Peel Slowly box eventually.

11. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes - that was the idea, rather than appearing on solo albums.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Tanya Donelly sang on Throwing Muses' 2003 self-titled album.

Beamish13, Madrid and Hep Alien like this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Zal Yanovsky came back and played guitar on two tracks on the final Lovin' Spoonful album, Revelation/Revolution 69.

Hep Alien and Madrid like this.
  14. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Dave Pegg returned to play mandolin on Jethro Tull's Christmas album.
    Ian McDonald and Mel Collins returned to King Crimson to play on the Red album.
    Mel Collins returned again as a member of the current King Crimson.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe there were talks of Ian McDonald rejoining Crimson after Red but it was thwarted by Fripp disbanding the group (which I believe McDonald interpreted as revenge for McDonald's departure after Court).

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Don't think anybody's mentioned Gene Clark's couple of cameos on The Notorious Byrd Brothers.

Mr. D, tug_of_war and Hep Alien like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Original Zombie Chris White sang on the Argent/Blunstone incarnation's debut, As Far As I Can See.

Classic NRBQ drummer Tom Ardolino was on the new lineup's debut, Keep This Love Goin'.

tug_of_war and Hep Alien like this.
  18. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes. All 5 members did contribute to the new recording. I am in the minority, but I absolutely love that version.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, the original poster stipulated he was looking for guest appearances by former members rather than instances of them rejoining the band, so that would rule out Gene on Notorious.

In another "almost but not quite" example, there's Glenn Matlock of the Sex Pistols. After leaving the band, Matlock was hired to play bass on the Bollocks album. He demanded (and was given) payment upfront for the job, but he then no-showed the sessions in a deliberate screw you to his former bandmates.

Dudley Morris, Bruso and Hep Alien like this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I certainly don't dislike it.
    I reckon for some reason Genesis just got thrown away by many people, but that is their loss to me. I don't love the last three albums as much as those prior, but there is still some good-great stuff on all of them.

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There's the rather weird case of Greg Lake and Michael Giles quitting King Crimson after their first album, and then returning as "session musicians" to do most of the singing and all of the drums, respectively, on the second album.

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Also, Rick Wakeman played on "Going for the One" as a session musician. He didn't find out he'd rejoined the band until management told the music press he had.

pantofis, tug_of_war and Hep Alien like this.
  23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Sandy Denny sings on Fairport Convention's "Rosie", from 1973, when she was still solo (no pun, for you Sandy fans)

She renewed her Convention membership the following year.

ARK, BeSteVenn and Hep Alien like this.
  24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Paul Stanley guests on Ace Frehley’s ‘Fire and Water.

25. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Glenn Frey played guitar, piano and keyboards on "Nobody Else In The World But You", a track on Don Henley's fourth solo album Inside Job.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.