Albums are dead.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

People are still making albums, therefor the album isn't dead. No matter how much you want it to be

zen, KAJ1971, BluesOvertookMe and 3 others like this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Maybe they meant photo albums?

3. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Pretty much yes. It's all about streaming and listening to play lists these days.

4. mark winstanley

When singles ruled the waves up to the mid sixties, people were still making albums .... so your logic is flawed terribly ...
    Sure we have a society now with the generalised attention span of a dying goldfish, but that doesn't mean that many don't still enjoy listening to a whole album....
    Most young folks rarely even seem to listen to a whole song from my experiences ... so does that mean bands/artists should only record 35 second infomercial music? .... oh, the answer is no by the way.
    Mozart, Beethoven, Bach etc couldn't actually record their music, so does that mean they shouldn't have written it? .... oh.... urm.... the answer is no, by the way

saturdayboy and no.nine like this.
  5. mark winstanley

6. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Great point! So it’s dead to buyers but alive to the media. Looks like poor Celine didn’t get the memo. Now she does.

7. schnitzerphilip

What’s the “bundle” they refer to that artificially drives up sales? Concert tickets?

8. schnitzerphilip

Not a ‘framework’. A limitation. That’s the difference.

And vinyl isn’t resurging. That’s a clothing store fad. Records are sold at Urban Outfitters and Pottery Barn. It’s a fading gimmick.

Hermes likes this.

9. We are gonna have to disagree. Peace.

10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. JackS

JackS Then Play On

When they kill off tangibility, then "real" will become very valuable and out of reach for those who agreed to accept the death.
    Hold onto that streaming !

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

dang! I wish I had an urban outfitters or pottery barn in my area! all I have is everyday music, zion's gate, wall of sound, spin cycle, silver platters northgate, silver platters sodo, silver platters Bellevue, easy street, jive time, sonic boom, light in the attic, golden oldies, Neptune records, Georgetown records, vortex music, daybreak records, singles going steady, holy cow records, bop street, porchlight records (and coffee), sub pop (record shop in the airport), fat cat records, beats and bohos, m & l records (and models), rat city records, time tunnel, rocket records, high voltage records, drastic plastic, turntable treasures...

13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

If I don't see it, it doesn't exist.

YardByrd likes this.
  14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

The five brick-and-mortars I visited today were part of my imagination...

troggy and All Down The Line like this.
  15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

no, they were really just urban outfitters, and every record you saw for sale was just a remaster of "eagles greatest hits".

16. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Ah, thanks for that... 'tis true... the Faces and Link Wray LPs I thought I bought did indeed turn out to be a pair of Eagles LPs the moment I pulled them out of the bag upon returning home...

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This fad is taking forever to die out.

18. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Ha ha ha... if any of us cared about current societal trends, we wouldn't be here in the nostalgia cave! :laugh:

P.S. Only what I like matters.

WLL likes this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yep. If you think about it, Celine Dion touring to support her number one album sounds a whole lot better than Celine Dion touring to support an album that nobody cares about except her devoted fan base.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    schnitzerphilip and Gaslight like this.
  20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Even if they stop making the physical product, it doesn't mean the album will cease to exist.

Just for a simple example, do you think they'll stop putting out live albums or soundtrack albums? Of course not. They're not going to take the live album or soundtrack album and make it available only as individual tracks.

The musical longform will continue to exist no matter the format.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  21. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Exactly. Why is that streaming a song on Spotify is considered contributing to the death of culture, but playing a 45 single is living your best life?

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's my understanding. McCartney did the same thing with "Egypt Station" but he's certainly not alone.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Because 45's existed when I was a kid so they are automatically OK.

Streaming, on that other hand, is new and scary to me so it's bad bad bad.

WLL, Witchy Woman and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  24. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I made this meme: Use as you wish

[​IMG]

25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

If albums are "dead", then that is news to (a) the many musicians who are still making them, and (b) the stores in which you can still find a good selection, both vinyl and CD. For example, the little store in Fremantle, filled from wall to wall with physical music recordings, where I went on the off-chance that they just might have either or both of the first two albums by Fleet Foxes. "Yes, over here, here they are", he said, without blinking.

I must have imagined it.

Sure, albums are not selling in the volumes they once did, but that's a very different thing from being "dead". The wax cylinder industry is dead. The vinyl and compact disc industries are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.