Hank Williams: Pictures From Life’s Other Side — The Man and His Music in Rare Photos and Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Afaninfull

Afaninfull Forum Resident

Thank you BradOlson,

I took your advice and ordered Grand Ol Opry.
    I have listened to Beyond the Sunset and will get that soon. What is I Saw The Light?
    Thanks

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Discogs link.....

[​IMG]

I Saw The Light

baptistbusman likes this.
  3. Afaninfull

Thanks, Hodgo.

hodgo likes this.
  4. Afaninfull

Just ordered I Saw The Light.
    Thank you again as this was not the cd I was looking at.

hodgo likes this.
  5. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

From the credits in the book:

"Music compilation produced for release by Cheryl Pawelski for Omnivore Creative • Associate producer for BMG: Scott B. Bomar • Mastering and restoration by Michael Graves at Osiris Studio, Los Angeles, California • Original source disc transfers by Alan Stoker "

The Killer, hodgo, Kevin55 and 3 others like this.
  6. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

hodgo likes this.
  7. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I've almost gotten death threats by saying this, but this is one of my favorite Hank Williams releases. My mom had some records when I was a little kid and this was one of them, this was the first time I heard Hank Williams and I had every song memorized. It's not as bad as you would think, and I'm sure it made the Hank Williams family a ton of money when it was released.

As far as books, one of my favorites is this one.

[​IMG]

I have owned my copy since 2001 and it was a God send when I got it, keep in mind back in the old days (Before 2001, lol) you just didn't see tons of Hank pictures and videos on YouTube and live recordings.

In the times we live in when the good ole boy, pick up truck, tailgate, Blake Shelton/Florida Georgia Line lovers name drop "Hank Williams, Sr." every chance they get and the crazy alt. country Hank3 supporters who rewrite history and cry and threaten the Opry to reinstate Hank, it's important for everyone to learn all they can and learn who the the actual Hank Williams was and what his music is actually about....and it's much more than "Tear in My Beer" and some redneck hoosier with "hank" tattooed on his knuckles.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Boswell, Richard--W, grapenut and 3 others like this.
  8. hodgo

I'm just listening to the three disc "Hank Williams Revealed" from Timelife, counting the Hank only tracks on this and the first set "Unreleased Recordings", I come up with a total of 93 songs, which by my reckoning means there are a total of 50 songs that I don't have on the Timelife sets.

Boy I can't wait for this new edition, especially as the new collection has what looks like it's going to be an incredible book with it.

9. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

This has just dropped on my desk at work - haven't had a chance to listen to any of it yet, but the book is absolutely stupendous. I say book, but it's one of those where the CDs are housed within the book so "package" I suppose is the thing...

But it is an incredible thing to look at - familiar photographs in best ever reproduction quality, and literally hundreds of ones new to me, including Hank in Germany, playing dice backstage, on stage, personal shots, fan shots, COLOUR!! - unbelievably good.

One teeny. tiny bit of nit picking - they use the picture of Hank with Doug Sahm taken at his last ever show without noting it as such.

Unless that picture's been debunked & I missed it of course!

hodgo, Dok and Mychael like this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

You lucky bastard! I can't wait to get this thing.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have much Hank and I'll get this when it closes out...

12. Michael

I have it too and many other HW books...one of my cool books is the autobiography of Jerry Rivers Hank's Fiddle player...autographed...a skinny book with great stories...

13. hodgo

I'm so jealous right now! on the positive side I see that Amazon UK have dropped the price to £74.99.

When you play it, I'd be interested to know if they've left in the spoken intro's as they did with the two three disc Timelife sets, I hoping the answer is yes because the give a more authentic radio experience without being the full shows.

Richard--W likes this.
  14. Trots

Trots Forum Resident

15. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

What's the title of Jerry Rivers' book?

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

HANK WILLIAMS - From Life to Legend

Richard--W likes this.
  17. Richard--W

18. hodgo

19. Trots

Trots Forum Resident

20. baptistbusman

I finally bit the bullet and pre-ordered it. I can see it not staying in print very long.

Trots and hodgo like this.
  21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Kinda torn on this set. I have everything else and the book would be nice but I’m currently trying to downsize.

22. Richard--W

I've been downsizing, too, but this set is as necessary as salt & pepper on the dinner table.

hodgo and Electric Sydney like this.
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

We’ll see. He’s been repackaged lots before and will continue to be. Either way the preorder is in, we’ll see if I keep it.

24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

This set just looks too good to pass up. No punishment solo Audrey tracks. :D

hodgo and Richard--W like this.
  25. baptistbusman

Cathy Yvonne Stone, an Individual v. Hank Williams, Jr., Billie Jean Williams Berlin, Chappell..., 891 F.2d 401 – CourtListener.com

Here is a link for an appeal that Jett Williams filed in 1989 when she was trying to get her fair share of Hank Williams estate. It’s a shame what she had to go through....and to be honest, if she hadn’t succeeded, I doubt we would have seen so many collections of unreleased Hank Williams music released as think Hank Jr was content with the royalties he was getting in the mail from the estate as is. She is the one that took an interest in getting so much made available to the general public.

Here is a link for the first case that was denied because they say she waited to long. I find it interesting that Roy Acuff and Wesley Rose were also defendants here fighting to keep their money.

Cathy Yvonne Stone, an Individual v. Hank Williams, Jr., Billie Jean Williams Berlin, Chappell..., 873 F.2d 620 – CourtListener.com

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020