The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Always preferred 5/19 but 5/22 now takes the throne.
    The booklet from the release is a great read! Typical Phil.

Have not heard the Mosque show since 2012; might be time.

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That is the early show from 13 February 1970- Fillmore East. The "Ungano's Nightclub" rumor is old, venerable, and needs to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

talkingleaf, ARK, Archtop and 6 others like this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Been listening to Go To Nassau over the past few days (5/15-16 1980) ....what great shows!!! Is this era typically always that good?

Also - got the Mars Hotel Mofi vinyl (45 RPM) and it sounds wonderful.

JQ

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob, SJR and 5 others like this.
  4. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

That surprised me and Utah blew their opportunity, but I have an Oregon Football sweatshirt so it's
    all good. I'm and SEC-er, but there will be other very interesting games today besides the
    Atlanta showdown today. The Baylor -- Oklahoma game will decide the next tumble from
    the playoff picture, at noon here no less. Beers up...

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Musically I think it's typical of the era. As it's mixed from multitrack, the sound quality is better than most available recordings from that year.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Remember, they left off the 'dirge tempo' Terrapin Station that preceded Playing In The Band. Editing is the key to glory.

7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I prefer the 60s Rolling Stones myself, Jagger's country music affectations get under my skin after a while.

Since I read this post earlier, I put on their first couple of albums, it's not as clear when you listen to their 70s albums what kind of influence they had over US rock bands, including the GD. Garcia and Phil both talk about how much they sounded like the early Rolling Stones when they got started, and they really do. If Warners had started scouting them a bit earlier they could've churned out 2-3 albums similar to the Stones' first few discs. Their original material maybe wouldn't have been as strong as Aftermath, but they certainly could churn out covers like the Stones. US record execs missed the boat.
    This is a good analogy for appreciating all eras of GD.
    There was an ad in the Village Voice for the show that day. Given the venue, it would seem possible they could have played it but not recorded it, even though Bear was still around.

The usual suspects have an article on it:
    Lost Live Dead: February 12, 1970 Ungano's, New York, NY 210 West 70th Street The Grateful Dead

KCWhistle, ARK, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  8. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

5/22/77 has lots of fans 'round these parts for good reason.

Thanks all for the "Shakedown" recommendations. Woke up with a "Dwump dwump dwump. Dwump dwump dwump dwump wump" earworm.

70s Stones' major influence was image, not necessarily music. That "elegantly wasted" rock star thing which is now a cliche. Think 1972 STP. They epitomized what a jet-setting rock star should look like.

[​IMG]

laf848, KCWhistle, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  9. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I’m quite partial to a bit of late 71 Dead. Been thoroughly enjoying Daves Picks 26 the last few nights - some really slick, fast and concise tunes... Mexicali Blues is particularly high tempo, with some great country pickin’

I love that one show features Pigpen and one doesn’t, nice contrast even though the set lists are quite similar.

10. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

The Casey Jones from 4/24/72 might very well be one of the best versions I’ve ever heard!

11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

The crowd does sound very similar to that of the Fillmore East so I wouldn't be surprised. I will say that aside from the aforementioned Black Peter, the St. Stephen>NFA set closer is certainly worth your time.

12. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

99 cent rental in the ITunes Store for those interested in watching this. It’s not on Netflix.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

5/19/77 Fox Theatre prompted by recent ‘77 and DiP 29 discussion. When the mood for May ‘77 strikes this is certainly a good option.

14. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

May 1980 is my new jam. Straight R&R bliss.

15. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

@Jack Cerro seeing your post reminded me that I’ve been meaning to ask if you ended up paring your official live collection down to just 30 releases, which seemed like a tricky task especially since new ones keep coming out. I’m referring to this:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    ianuaditis likes this.
  16. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Inspired by posts I read last weekend discussing Steppin' Out, my Dead listening this past week has primarily consisted of being blown away by Dark Star, 4/8/72. Hadn't listened to it in quite awhile. Let's just say right now it's my favorite DS.

17. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Yeah.... about that.
    I'm figuring out how I can finagle more shelf space for box 5 and 6.
    8 seems a good stopping point. Good symmetry... turn it on the side and you have infinity.
    I'd ask for help now, but this doesn't seem like the proper forum.

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

yeah I can't in good conscience recommend less GD to anyone.

19. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

2/11/69

Sweetest MOTM.

Anyone have this on record? How do you rate it?

The late show Dark Star...wow.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    adamos, Oliver, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

As a relative newbie to being a hardcore Deadhead all I can say is I have not listened to a note from any other band besides the Dead for the past week and a half which is insane for me. :),

Np-relistening to DP 3.

21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Try a year and a half. Then you might be on to something.

ianuaditis, bzfgt, trd and 3 others like this.
  22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

KCWhistle, adamos, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  23. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Question: How many people here have taped a live show they attended and how did it come out?

ianuaditis and trd like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I slightly prefer 5/21 but it’s a tough call. Probably the two best shows of May ‘77.

rockinlazys and Day_Tripper2019 like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Agree, although Europe has some other things going for it. DiP 2 from 10/31/72 and 11/15/71 Austin from the Road Trips series are my two favorite versions of that combo, by a mile, and the Albuequrque version is not far behind. Now, as far as Lovelight->GDTRFB combos, Europe has got the goods...