Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trd

trd Forum Resident

Well sure, but that’s true for any day

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

SWEET.

SJR likes this.
  3. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

72 with Pigpen,what talent.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Archtop, ianuaditis, trd and 3 others like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you for this address.
    I placed an order with Rhino, back on November 27th, and it has just sat there "processing" ever since.
    I've sent 2 contact forms, and 2 messages on Rhino's FB page, and no one responds.
    I used Pay Pal to pay, since it was in stock, so I'm out $105.34, and no idea what's going on.
    I remembered "Dr. Rhino" being bandied about since I joined here back in 2010, so I did a search.
    Hopefully a new address might get me an answer ?

6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Wait. You’re worried about an order To Rhino that’s only a week old?

7. Myke

Only ? Since I don't keep up with other people's order experiences, please enlighten me.

8. AlienRendel

Give them 2 months, minimum.

9. Myke

Yeah, I went back through your posts, and I see this to be the case. Seems like this horrible, terrible, warehouse move has been going on all of 2019.
    Well, that's more than I knew an hour ago. Thanks !

10. AlienRendel

It’s frustrating, but hopefully you’ve got lots of other Dead to keep you company while you wait!

trumpet sounds and Myke like this.
  11. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I still don't have Dave's Picks 32. I was hoping to have it before the holidays and now I'm doubtful. I would have preferred this to have happened to Dave's Picks 31!

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That's terrible — even I got it all the way here in Melbourne!

13. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Strange. I got another one shipped to my address. I returned it though. If I didn't I'd be more than happy to give it away.

Matthew Tate, US Blues and PhoffiFozz like this.
  14. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

DP 32 is a great show. While playing the Jam into Dark Star on disc 3 I noticed Jerry is in the right channel and Bob in the left channel.

15. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I didn't rip the whole show to my computer since my Media Player is starting to groan at me from time to time, but from what I did rip, there's a demarcation between Loser and Playing in the Band where Jerry moves from panned just a bit left of center to full right for the rest of the show. Perhaps there's more than one source for this release?

Crispy Rob, US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Correct.

17. markp

wasn't Jerry still playing on the left side of the stage in 1973? I was wondering if the channels were flipped while mastering the cd.

Archtop likes this.
  18. Archtop

Do you mean stage right? By July 1, 1973, he's stage left but in '72 he was stage left:

US Blues likes this.
  19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This is the Spectrum March '73 according to GDOA and he seems stage left.

[​IMG]
    Edit: Cool pick I don't remember seeing before but according to UMass archives this is Springfield March '73

[​IMG]

Edit 2: Lots of other great pics to explore in the index bottom left of the page in the link below. You can zoom into them nicely as well. That might be a mic splitter box top of the Mac stack, something you don't see in pics; not sure about that though. Grateful Dead concert at Springfield Civic Center: band in performance: Bob Weir, Jerry Garcia and Bill Kreutzmann (l. to r.), ca. March 28, 1973

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  20. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

A rediscovery for me and an overlooked gem, at least for me, in the Dave’s Picks series:

Dave’s Picks Vol. 6
    Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 2/2/70

Dark Star > St. Stephen > Mason’s Children

21. markp

I am hearing Jerry in the right channel of my car stereo, and Bob in the left channel. If Jerry was playing stage right, Jerry should be heard in the left channel of a stereo.

22. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Not if you're driving in reverse.

23. Archtop

I think that's an idealized view of the situation. We have many types of mixes where Jerry, Bob and Keith move around during a show or within a brief time span, as evidenced by DaP 32.

Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  24. markp

That makes sense for the vocals if the vocalists are singing into different mikes, but the guitar amps would not be moving, and it the location of the guitar sounds I was commenting on. Anyway, I was mainly wondering if the channels had been flipped at some point in the process to create a cd. Based on comments in this thread, it sounds Jerry was not always stage right in the 1970's.

25. Archtop

No, Jerry moved around, but I think the key here is that several engineers often recorded the same show (which is what scribbs suggested - there's more than one source for DaP 32), and not all mixes reflected the stage setup the same way upon playback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.