The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I taped a few shows between 88 and 90, including one that didn't have a circulating board or good SQ aud for many years so my tape of Rochester 88 is the only one that ever got widespread circulation in trading circles outside my own. it was a lot of hassle that distracted me from the shows themselves tho so I gave it up, altho I still use the same equip to tape local gigs from time to time

Crispy Rob, ARK, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I blame the Dead organisation for underestimating the Stones scene and coaxing the Stones into going along with the concept of free concerts using the Hells Angels as security. Then there was a series of events that contributed - the city refusing to allow the Stones to play at Golden Gate Park, the Maysles filming the Stones and there suddenly being the possibility of a documentary, Filmways placing an realistic demand in relation to the documentary that meant the Sears Point fell through and the Stones had to go to Altamont, Meredith Hunter getting high and producing a gun, and about a hundred other moments...

I believe I have read that there were quite a few contracted security/Police types not in uniform there that day...

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

While in '72 the roadies dropped the equipment truck in a ditch between Wichita and Houston, prompting Phil to declare that they would hire professional truck drivers so the roadies could get some rest.

KeninDC, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  4. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Currently enjoying 9/27/72 and my god this Dark Star blows my mind!

5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Uh oh, you got the fever son ! Sorry to say there is no cure :D !

6. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It didn't, but that was when Phil singing was a major event at the shows.

ianuaditis, uzn007 and US Blues like this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Egypt 78 STILL the most undervalued of all Dead shows

US Blues, adamos, SJR and 9 others like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

One of us. One of us.

10. uzn007

I considered it but never did. There were so many people at Dead shows with tape decks that I decided to enjoy myself instead of working. (Tip of the hat to all the people who did "work").

11. uzn007

That one from the Greek had some good energy, as I recall.

12. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

While I don't consider myself to be a hardcore Deadhead, there's been times when I've gone up to two months listening to the Dead almost exclusively. They'll do that to you.

Always loved DP3, and even more so when I used etree to cobble together the complete show. Same for DP1.

13. Frosst

I would consider myself a pretty big fan by now, but I still haven’t gotten to the point of only listening to the Dead everyday instead of other bands in between. Maybe I’ll get there one day :wiggle:

Also what’s the difference between Etree and Relisten? I’ve installed both but don’t see much of a reason to use Etree over Relisten...

14. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

The feel, sight, and smell of Tour '91! Presumably unwashed to permit a full-spectrum sensory experience, as well as DNA testing...

[​IMG]
    Lot 373
    A PAIR OF GRATEFUL DEAD TOUR SHORTS OWNED AND WORN BY JERRY GARCIA

US$ 600 - 800
    £ 460 - 610

' online-only-in-progress="lot.online_only_in_progress" online-only="" bid-data="lot.bid_data">
    bid

black cotton/polyester, printed in white to the right leg with the Grateful Dead logo and lettering "Concert / Southern Promotions Alex Cooley / Peter Conlan, GRATEFUL DEAD Spring Tour 1991 Atlanta GA April 3, 4, 5 Sold Out," labeled inside, "Don Alleson, Rochester, N.Y."
    X large

Bonhams : A PAIR OF GRATEFUL DEAD TOUR SHORTS OWNED AND WORN BY JERRY GARCIA 1991

15. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Unfortunately, you're asking the wrong person. I don't know anything about Relisten.

Frosst likes this.
  16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Getting off topic here, a bit, but before I create a new thread I figure someone here will know:

For the first time ever, after downloading a show and trying convert the FLAC files to WAV I noticed a few tracks didn’t convert. Tried them again individually, and Trader’s Little Helper (Which has performed flawlessly for me for ages) give me an error message of “None of the files give has the file extension(s) required.”

What the hell does this mean?

Clearly, something’s wrong with a handful of files but what’s the deal? I can play the file on my laptop, so the music seems fine, but I won’t be able to put it in iTunes or on my iPod without converting. Any ideas? Thanks.

17. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I would say either those tracks are named or tagged incorrectly or they are corrupt.

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Could be corrupt, but they seem to play OK via Windows Media Player, etc., on the laptop?

if it’s “tagged” incorrectly I’m not sure what that means exactly. First time this has happened. Guessing it’s not something I can fix myself. Hmph. I’ll find another source, I guess. Oh well. Thanks.

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I’d re-download them and see if the new files work. Sounds like some type of corrupted file.

fishcane and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Frosst

'72 is the year I've been focusing the most on lately, my fave year in GD's career no doubt. Currently on 5/11/72, a really stellar PITB to open it up and now a beautiful Sugaree. So damn good!

laf848, KCWhistle, US Blues and 10 others like this.
  21. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Most Europe 72 shows fall into this discussion, but that one was around in SBD quality for a long time, and for years set two of that show would come up among GD fans I knew as one of their best jams ever.

I forget if that's still the longest Dark Star ever or if 12-6-73 is longer. The best part of 5-11 is that after the (maybe) longest Dark Star ever they're still not close to done.

KCWhistle, Archtop, sleepjar and 6 others like this.
  22. talkingleaf

talkingleaf Forum Resident

Not sure if this will help, but you might want to try to convert with another program. I'm on a Mac, and there are occasions where XLD, the program I primarily use to convert between audio formats wont work, but using xACT will. I've also encountered reversed situation where xACT can't handle files, but XLD can. I will almost always listen closely to these files afterward, but if no errors have been generated in the logs, they should be fine.

Of course sometimes, that doesn't work either, and I go back to download from LL, or the Archive, or wherever, as DrLunchbox suggested.

DrLunchbox and Guy Smiley like this.
  23. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

There’s just a near uniformity of happiness and people enjoying the music around the Dead. It’s nearly irresistible.

There’s sadness and regret, too, I suppose. But it’s not so sad that it can’t be overcome by what the band did and in some configurations or another, are still doing, and in how the fans love it so.

It’s contagious, too. Look at it here. This is the single greatest thread on all of Steve Hoffman’s forums, it really is, and I know there’s similar topics on more than a few other boards, etc. The acrimony is at such a low level and loving the music is at such a high level. It’s great!

24. Frosst

I've always thought the one from 8/27/72 was the longest Dark Star. That's cuz that one is not split up in two, or more, 'parts'. But ofc I get what you mean.

25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

5/11/72 is the longest including the drum break at 13+ minutes

Second longest is the 12/6/73 inside-out Star - the one without the opening riff until the verse...

US Blues, trd, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.