Bought a Spin Clean on Black Friday - it's going back this Friday

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have had mine for almost 3 years, washed a few hundred records. I have tried to drain the enclosure but nothing ever comes out- if you use the proper amount of fluid it evaporates during the vaccuming step.

2. avanti1960

i use the mofo fluid after the original was used up, also use the mofi brush to clean the surface. proper amount is a line of drops from the inner groove to the outer edge.

3. I don’t know if the ‘get what you pay for’ analogy is correct in this instance, unless comparing to similar devices (and there are several Spin Clean-like devices out there). Of course a motorized cleaner will cost more, simply because it has a motor. That’s not saying there aren’t other good options out there that do happen to cost more, just that it’s not apples to apples.

superstar19 likes this.
  4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, Avanti. I ordered the MoFi brush today as so many seem to like it. I'm curious about it. I see there is now a Record Doctor VI out for $300 instead of $200. Wonder if it's worth the upcharge.

avanti1960 likes this.
  5. avanti1960

fancier "knob" and deluxe enclosure finish= piano gloss or carbon fiber. if i had the option i would get the original which seems to be available.

6. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Well what happens to the crud that should be suspended in the fluid? Is that getting to the reservoir?

7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Maybe buy better quality used vinyl? :D

I've had nothing but good results with my Spin Clean, but then I tend to buy VG or better vinyl. Life is too short for crappy copies.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

A record can look clean and play crappy. But I'm glad you like your Spin Clean. Most people do, I didn't.

9. StuTube

StuTube Well-Known Member

I use a product called clear groove and apply it with a velvet record brush i then use my spin clean with just distilled water to rinse it

10. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

Yes. It's wise to dump the fluid after a certain number (of course, this number seems to be up for debate) of records have been cleaned for this very reason. I always rinse out the brushes too.

11. Well, actually, if you buy a Spin Clean, you are getting less than your money's worth. You might as well have just flushed the money down the toilet. Sure, motorized RCM's cost more, but the key advantage of them is the vacuum drying.
    If you want to spend even less money and get even better results, there are record cleaning mats you can buy, there are good record cleaning brushes you can buy, you can buy lint-free towels in bulk cheaply and if you don't want to buy a pre-mixed cleaning solution, when you are ready to clean records, mix a small bowl of warm water, a couple of drops of Dawn dish washing detergent and a couple of drops of Kodak or similar Photo-flo. You need another bowl of warm water for rising and a soft sponge. Then you dry the record with a lint-free towel.
    Now, using a Spin Clean or similar device, cleaning solution, check, cleaning brushes, check. Then air-drying, bad idea. Why go to the trouble of cleaning a record and then expose it to un-filtered air to dry? Dust will be drawn to the drying record like a magnet!

12. maellen

maellen Nasi Lemak

I've set to buy Okki-Nokki but Pro-Ject recently release VC-S2 ALU. Both are similarly priced in my country & I'm leaning towards the VC-S2 ALU. However I couldn't find independent/user reviews about this product that much, maybe because it's newer so I hold my purchase for the time being.

Any VS-S2 ALU user here that kind enough to provide your feedback? Just wanted to know what you don't like about it. Thanks.

13. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Been using this for years. Squeaky Clean Vinyl Record Care
    Can’t be beat. All you need is your own shop vac, which can be had for as little as 20 bucks. This baby has turned many a dollar bin record into a demo disc. I kid you not.

superstar19 and bever70 like this.
  14. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Just wanted to chime in here.

I have both the Spin Clean and a Kab EV-1. I first used the SC and it gets it so far but new used records always had a big ball of dust on the stylus after the first play. After I got the EV-1 I never had that issue again. Even now I rarely see any dust left on the stylus.

I still use the SC to scrub the records. It seem so much easier to safely use than hand washing. So I use a home brew cleaning solution scrub in the SC using a back and forth motion working my way around the record completing two revolutions take wet to the EV-1 and vacuum and rinse and vacuum again.
    Been working for me for years.

bever70 likes this.
  15. avanti1960

probably but if it' drys out there is no harm. basically dust, paper lint and possibly loose vinyl chips.

16. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

Once again, 750+ records through my Spin Clean. 95% of them old. Most of those from used record stores... I've never run into this problem. Not once.

Everyone has their own experiences I guess.

Glad you found something that works for you. :righton:

mikedifr0923 and Shawn like this.
  17. thezenroom

thezenroom Active Member

no one using an ultrasonic bath?

18. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I saw this mentioned before, might have been you, and I have been meaning to try it. Is this because the solution leaves residue in the grooves so that the extra rinse does the trick?

19. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

What kind of cartridge are you using? Maybe my cartridge gets deeper into the groove.

bever70 likes this.
  20. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Are you saying you had dust on the stylus after cleaning a record with Spin Clean? I have never, ever had that happen.

21. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I wasn't necessarily having any issues using just a single unit.

But it does seem to me that criticism of the SC because the cleaning bath retains stuff that comes off the records has some merit. Regardless of the flocculant in the solution designed to make the particles sink to the bottom of the tank, agitating the water stirs things up each time you clean a record. So it just seemed to me that a second rinse bath could offer benefits. So when SC cleared out their brown plastic version a few years ago, I grabbed a second one.

sturgus and mikedifr0923 like this.
  22. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Almost any job can be done with a variety of tools and methods, from cheap and easy to difficult and, perhaps unnecessarily, complex. Neither the Spin Clean nor any other tool is all things to all audiophiles all the time.

My Spin Clean does a fine job for me.

Shawn likes this.
  23. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

yup, stuff that used to be $1 is $10 now. $5 is $15 - $20. at least in the record shops near me. Anything remotely worth listening to is gonna be at minimum $5. thanks vinyl revival :)

patient_ot likes this.
  24. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I still recommend anyone who buys records and has a collection of more than a thousand or so should get a vacuum RCM if they can afford it. You will not be sorry. my vpi 16.5 has been in service for 15+ years so cost of ownership is pretty low.

csgreene likes this.
  25. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Some of the used records I've bought have seemed to have enough crud on them, that I imagine they'd cover Spin Clean brushes with junk, which would deposit the crud in the grooves (only to be later dug-out by the stylus).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.