Song playing during your car accident...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CrawdaddySim1, Dec 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't know if this theme has appeared yet, but thought it might be interesting. Name a song that provided a soundtrack to your car accident. Can you still listen to it, or does it remind you too much of the tragedy?

No need for a graphic depiction of the accident itself!

I slid on the ice on the way to high school in 1991, slammed into a power pole, and totaled my grandmother's Jeep Wagoneer. My brother and sister were in the car, but no one was injured. The song playing was "Back On the Chain Gang" by The Pretenders. Years passed before I could hear the song again, but I got over it... probably because no blood was spilled.

2. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I will always remember back in 1974 in my mate's Datsun 240Z driving up to Queensland's Gold Coast.. we hit a wet bit of road on a left hand bend and spun out onto the other side of the road and stopped on top of rocks.
    "Locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull was playing on the Sanyo Cassette Player in the car >>> I remember it like yesterday.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

"Lookout Joe!"

by Neil Young

:winkgrin:

4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Coati Mundi, something from his album "Former 12 Year Old Genius". I wrote the car off but was really lucky I didn't get hurt and no-one else was involved. I still love the album but it was playing when I had my surprisingly calm "Well, that's me dead then" moment. My life didn't flash before my eyes but time slowed down and I definitely thought my time was up. It's a weird feeling. It's a weird album. :D

5. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Might as well have said "Tonight's the Night." :D

6. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Hot Rod Lincoln

lazydawg58 and john lennonist like this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

No way to slow down!

slipkid, old45s, BryanA-HTX and 3 others like this.
  8. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I bought an IROC-Z in 89 and totaled it 8 hours later. Actually it was a girlfriend of mine who totaled it but still, "Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc was playing. It was years before I could listen to that song again.

hi_watt, astro70, JuanTCB and 3 others like this.
  9. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Brooklyn Baby by Lana Del Rey. Over 3 years ago I had a very intoxicated frat guy on a vespa rear end me at a stop light on the way to work. Mind you this was at 7 in the morning and he was coming down a steep hill. He turned out way worse than my bumper and was promptly taken away by the ambulance and police. That song was playing when this occured.

Zeki, hi_watt and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  10. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

First speeding ticket was to “Octopus’s Garden.” I just happened to have the Abbey Road tape in my dad’s car as I drove with friends to a youth group meeting. Got pulled over going 10 over in a 25, because I was busy yakking it up and not watching the speed limit. I remember feeling angry/it’s not my fault/scared of what my dad would do as I sat there waiting for the cop to write me up, “Octopus’s Garden” warbling away in the background.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I never had one (knock on wood) but back in high school my friend wrapped his car around a tree and nearly killed his brother speeding while Led Zeppelin's "Achilles' Last Stand" was playing on the tape deck.

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Last accident was 1971. I don't believe I had the radio on, but I can't remember for sure.

13. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Something from the second Colin Blunstone album - I think it might have been "Exclusively For Me" - and although i'll always associate it with getting rear ended (that's what she said), I'll never stop listening to it.

CrawdaddySim1, forthlin and izgoblin like this.
  14. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

"Always Crashing In The Same Car".

15. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Over 20 years ago I was driving on an extremely icy road while blasting The Cure's Show and lost control. I wasn't going fast and it was late at night so there wasn't any traffic. Also, I didn't hit anything so technically there wasn't an accident. However, after spinning completely around four times while Friday I'm In Love is cranked is not something I want to relive.

Zeki, Earscape, blewmaearsout and 6 others like this.
  16. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I had one of those slow motion, life flashes before your eyes accidents about ten years ago. I was sitting in my car stopped, waiting to turn onto NY 9, when a pickup left the roadway, crashed through a stand of mailboxes and smashed into the driver’s side of my car. I can still see the letters falling in slow motion, like snow, and thinking to myself “this is it, this is how I die.” I woke up in the grass a few moments later after being pulled from the car by some bystanders - must have blacked out for a second.

Nearly every memory in my whole life (certainly my adult life), I can remember what song was playing - it’s a gift/curse - I associate memories with what music I was listening to at the time. That day, though, I have no recollection what was playing, or even if there was music playing.

DiBosco, slipkid, Zeki and 5 others like this.
  17. I've had two car accidents, and I can recall both songs very vividly.

First one was about 20 years ago. 'Bad' by U2 was playing on the radio. Still listen to that song because it is one of my favorite songs ever.

Second one was about 10 years ago. 'Bad Motor Scooter' by Montrose was playing on Steve's Audio Fidelity CD. Haven't listened to that CD again since that accident. It was pretty traumatic. A deer darted onto the highway right in front of me on a very foggy morning. Totaled the car and unfortunately totaled the deer too.

18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Hadn't had my first car long and picked up a mate to go out. Put this on full blast, went for a drive, it was dark and a bit rainy, and went down an empty country road and didn't see the turn in the road and ploughed straight into a field. Luckily it was just a small piece of mud bank that we hit before Dukes Of Hazzard style bunny hopping into the field. Lucky escape. Never did that again. Still listen to Goo though, bloody brilliant album

19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Had just popped Exile On Main Street in the CD player and was driving home from class when I crashed headlong into a dump truck that was making a left hand turn across a road. I was critically injured in the crash, had to be life-flighted. Song playing was "Rocks Off" and I never got the CD out of the player of the totaled car, had to rebuy it.

Hearing it now doesn't make me think about it, at least not consciously, and I don't remember the impact.

20. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Don't remember the exact song, but Psychic...Powerless... Another Man's Sac... by Butthole Surfers. Totaled my mom's car on her birthday when I was 20.

21. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I hit an antelope in South Dakota driving down I-80 in the early morning hours in 1990. The Hermit of Mink Hollow was playing in the tape deck, not sure what song. Luckily, the only damage was some dents in the fender.

22. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Susie Q - CCR

I still have ptsd when I hear that.

23. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

1987 - ABC - The Look of Love
    Flew off a cliff in Santa Cruz, CA in a friend's GTI, hit a tree, flipped, came to rest in a patch of poison ivy at the bottom of a ravine.
    All five in the car survived, worst injuries being a broken arm and whiplash.
    The song was still playing when we landed at the bottom as chunks of bark and tree limbs were coming in through the sunroof. Surreal.

24. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Ha! This is my favourite thread topic I’ve seen here in months.

I’ve been in two accidents as a driver. The second one wasn’t my fault; I hit a car that was making an unsafe left turn. No music was playing at the time, because I was chatting with my passenger, a girl from work that I was on my first — and only — date with.

The first accident was indeed my fault. As a novice driver on a wet road in the rain, I slid and rear-ended a car to the tune of “Backstreet Girl” by the Stones. At the time I was stressed out, of course, but very shortly thereafter it just became a funny story. If anything, it’s enhanced rather than hindered my enjoyment of the song.

Zeki and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Bohemian Rhapsody. "...has a devil put aside for meee, for meeeee, for meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! - BAMMM!" - that was it, real "rear ender"... :shake::sigh::winkgrin:

Zeki, mr. k, WithinYourReach and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.