Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConradH

ConradH Forum Resident

No "original design" prototype makes it into production unchanged. If it did, you probably wouldn't want it. Schiit did a fantastic job with the plinth and platter, far better than my crude first efforts. They also did the electronics pod, that I think is super. Bringing people up to speed on the quirks of a unipivot tonearm was harder than I anticipated, and you have to remember they have an entire other product line to think about. The progress they've made over the last couple weeks is quite impressive, at least to me.

2. SuperRoo

SuperRoo Forum Resident

Here is another o-ring trick.
    After you set the azimuth , screw the weight it in a half turn or so. Slide an o-ring up against it and screw to back up against the o-ring to the original setting. This will keep it from going out of adjustment.
    [​IMG]

allegro, Ham Sandwich and 33na3rd like this.
  3. ConradH

ConradH Forum Resident

Now there's a man who owns stock in the Parker Corporation! I use a nylon pan head screw for the counterweight so I can just reach over the turn the head. The thumbscrew is nicer. I use a nylon nut for the lateral weight mostly because I've got some. Here's another trick- polish your counterweight with Mother's, Simichrome or similar, then give it a coat of acrylic floor finish to keep it that way. They're constantly changing the name of the stuff, but it's been used by scale model people for years-

http://www.finescale.com/online-extras/how-to/2017/11/in-the-past-it-was-future
    Reader Tip: Pledge Floor Gloss or Future has new name | FineScale Modeler Magazine

Some use clear lacquer but I like the acrylic because it's easy to remove and redo if necessary.

I'm finding the combination of small and medium anti-skate weights to be best. You can install wire hooks and loops in each for easy attachment and stacking.

How's the felt on the cueing platform working? I used a small patch of cloth friction tape on the bottom of the arm to reduce sliding from the anti-skate force but haven't tried the felt.

SuperRoo likes this.
  4. brn

brn Well-Known Member

So where do you get these exact rings? That seems like the easiest way to keep the line in place.

The last update email was back on the 8th of November saying they were shipping arms, felt, pulley, and belt. I got those, but not the motor base and platter mat mentioned to ship hopefully 2 weeks ago now, anyone get those?

All I need is the motor mat and I think I'll be set.

5. SuperRoo

SuperRoo Forum Resident

Which o-rings? If it is the anti skate arm ones, I bought a pack of 50. PM me and I'll mail you some. That was the last update I got and I got the same stuff.

9262K10 McMaster-Carr

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've been playing with my beta Sol for a little over a week now (8 days, to be exact.)

Still has a little ways to go but, this is a turntable that delivers what it promises - flexibility and exceptional sound, for not a ton of money. I've had a number of turntables but the Sol is pretty much 2nd favorite in my list, only falling behind my older GEM PolyTable Super12. And that is higher praise than I ever thought I'd be giving Sol.

Conrad - I ended up settling on just under a half inch platter height, around .40" on my digital calipers. For my Nagaoka MP-200, it has enough cartridge height (I think) that half an inch really didn't give me much "tail up" travel and I actually ran out of queuing arm travel. I was just barely over the LP at full height, maybe 1/8" if that. Bringing the platter down a hair brought everything into balance.

Belt doesn't wander nearly as bad at this height. I've got the motor pulley set so the top of the height rod is flush with the top of the pulley cup. Using the new belt, I was getting speed issues and W/F issues with it setup the way I had it before. Moved back to the old belt, and that fixed those issues. Now with this new platter height, the new belt performs just like the old belt/old height.

I do have a new "pod" coming as my power switch doesn't appear to work, but otherwise - this thing has been a joy to play around with. It's so flexible, yet so simple. Truly a unique and cool design.

And best of all, it really does sound very damn good.

allegro, ConradH, SuperRoo and 4 others like this.
  7. SuperRoo

SuperRoo Forum Resident

Received the replacement motor base today. I decided not to use it for now since I had made a heavier version. The replacement weighs 315 g. Mine is 765 g or about a pound heavier. Also added some ballast at the top of the motor.
    [​IMG]

Also added about 5 lbs of weight to the plinth with a 1/4" x 10" round steel plate. There is room for even more.

[​IMG]

8. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I think this post is sort of a sign of things to come.

9. ConradH

ConradH Forum Resident

Interesting! Always said Sol is going to be a tinkerer's delight! I've been pondering a disc and viscous layer in the platter for damping. Plenty of room in there to do that.

10. SuperRoo

SuperRoo Forum Resident

Just had a brain fart. After removing the Gen 1 steel motor base, glue it on top of the one we are getting. Put it to good use. Double check yours for clearance, mine fit.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Ripblade, toddrhodes and brn like this.
  11. toddrhodes

I haven't heard about a new motor. Did you ask for one? My apologies, I don't know everyone, but were you in with the first lot who purchased it? I've got one of the revised, beta tables. It came with some upgraded parts but I think the motor is the same. I could definitely see room for improvement there and honestly, if it were better/more accurate, this table would reach a pretty terrific level of performance IMO.

I've been having fun toying around with mine, but I've been posting most of my feedback and things I've tried/done over on the SBAF forum.

12. SuperRoo

SuperRoo Forum Resident

It is not a new motor, just the motor base. The bottom part. I wish I was able to post over on SBAF.

toddrhodes likes this.
  13. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I signed up yesterday but haven't posted yet. I guess things were getting stale lol. Anyway, it looks like they're open to new members.

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What's the rubber around the volume knob for?

15. SuperRoo

SuperRoo Forum Resident

Feel. I like it better that way.

bever70 likes this.
  16. SuperRoo

SuperRoo Forum Resident

Today's hair brain idea. Bolt the 1/4" steel plate to the plinth. Obtain a second plinth and cut off tone arm wing. Bolt it to the steel plate. Now you have a dual tone arm Sol.

Schiityttnoob and ubiknik like this.
  17. Schiityttnoob

Schiityttnoob Well-Known Member

I'm in wave two of the beta as well, and I haven't received any email updates. Even though I was in wave 2 of the beta it looks like received a used original Sol. had to contact Schiit to get a new tonearm, platter, bearing,pulley, belt, etc. Now it looks like I need to email them again for the motor base. I will be checking out the grounding on mine tonight if the kids aren't too rambunctious.

18. SuperRoo

SuperRoo Forum Resident

I haven't been getting them either but it is probably due to my error. I once gave them an email address with a typo. Might they get posted on another forum somewhere?

19. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I tucked mine inside, resting on top of the new base. It just fits under the starter cap.

Nice and solid, no wobble on start-up or hum whilst running. It even self starts with the new belt on the old pulley. :edthumbs:

SuperRoo likes this.
  20. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

Been watching info on this table. Really thought of taking the plunge. Seemed like a great price point. Then I lucked up on a SOTA Sapphire.....

vinylsolution likes this.
  21. Schiityttnoob

Schiityttnoob Well-Known Member

I'd assume not being on the email list is their error....I've been emailing back and forth with Amy a number of times the last few months. I asked her a couple of times to get placed on the beta emailing list. Somewhere along the way my name hasn't been added.

Ive been adding my care package parts a bit here and there.

Tonight I played with the new bearing and platter that I was sent.

This platter and bearing seems to be quite a bit looser then the old ones. The original bearing housing fit very tightly in the platter. I could not spin the platter around.

The new bearing housing and and platter are very loose in comparison. I can easily spin the platter on the bearing housing in my hand. I also see residue from a belt on the platter.

Does anyone know which one is preferred? My original platter or the new one.

I don't hear any slippage, but I'm concerned about it. I'm using the old bearing shaft on the new platter as it fits a tad bit tighter then the new bearing shaft does.

My original platter and bearing had a bit of a a tilt. 3 - 1/8 inch cork coasters hung up on spots on the table, but I've since raises the platter. In this spot that measurement is harder to make, but there appears to be slight wobble as I watch the table spin.

Is it possible that the main bearing shaft isn't tightened straight/flush in the plinth/main sol chassis, and is causing this wobble?

I'm noticing.now that rubber mat doesn't appear to lay flat, I'm wondering if I got an original mat, and didn't notice that right away.

I don't have a record weight.

All of these ramblings aside the table sounds great through a basic Grado, and Mani.

Listening to a beat up copy of heartbeat city by the cars. Sounds really awesome.

I don't miss digital once I get a record cleaned and make sure the table is ready.

But digital is sit down and go... My vinyl is all second hand, so everything gets a basic cleaning before playing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  22. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I see that while you still cannot buy one, the price dropped to $699...?

23. toddrhodes

I'd urge a bit of patience. We're making progress and I think where it is now, versus where it started, is a pretty substantial leap. And it IS a hell of a table, but it can and will be better yet.

Great news that they dropped the price. It was already a bargain, honestly, at $799. The tonearm is something to hear yet it's a $200, very simple machine.

24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Will there be a separate pillar for the arm? I'd like to use it with another turntable as a second arm.

33na3rd likes this.
  25. allegro

allegro Well-Known Member

Doubt it. Schiit will sell you an extra arm for the Sol no problem, but an arm that could be mounted on another brand board? I guess it is possible but I think the priority at Schiit right now is getting Sol shipping again. You could ask Jason on the Schiit thread at Head-Fi. He is pretty good at answering questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.